Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Missie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
I just got an Ipod classic, and I've decided that since I don't actually have very much music to put on it I'm going to rip some TV shows on dvd I have that I enjoy.

Unfortunately, when I tag them as TV shows, my ipod displays them in the wrong order. I've tried modifying them one at a time since they seem to display by "last modified", but then when I sync my ipod they just go back into the wrong order. I've tried doing this backwards and forwards, and they show up properly in itunes, but they always sync up backwards. I've filled in every tag info I can - track number, episode ID, episode number, season, so on.

I know that if I modify the "release date" tag they'll display properly, but I can't figure out a way to do that that won't take hours and hours, aside from the fact that command lines make me headachey. Please tell me there's something by now that I can use on Windows to edit the "release date" tag. I've tried editing the 'year' field in itunes but that doesn't seem to do anything.

gregio

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2006
Same here

I'm having the same problem. I tried changing the "sorting name" by placing a number in front of the episode title, but no luck. The episodes sort in iTunes but not on my iPod. Anyone found a solution?

jensepollense

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2007
Virginia Tech/Blacksburg, VA
The iPod sorts the TV shows by the release date, and if that is not embedded in the file, the iPod will just sort it differently (don't know exactly how). I've had this problem too, and if you download the program Lostify, there is a field for you to enter the release date of the show. If you do this for all your shows and then upload your iPod again, it will sort them correctly by the date you entered.

Missie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
The problem is, as a Windows user (at the present time, who knows what the future holds) I can't use Lostify. I was hoping someone might've made something that'll work with Windows easier than using Atomic Parsley alone and with more options than the GUI that I did find, since that doesn't have a release date field. :(

In any event, I just put them into playlists for the time being. It keeps them in order there, at least.

Missie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
I use the epesode ID listing as S01E01 etc and it works just fine on my iPod.

I already tried this, at best it would show up as reverse-chronological order, at worst it would show up as randomized.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.