Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Dec 14, 2007, 06:35 PM   #1
thumb
macrumors 6502

remove network from preferred networks?

Hi all,

in my house, there are several available wifi networks, including my airport.

i tried joining one of the others once when mine was down, and now my computer regularly attempts to join that one when ever it wakes up. Can i make it forget to join that network, or make mine its first preference?

Cheers

thumb
thumb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 06:37 PM   #2
xUKHCx
Administrator emeritus

System Preferences - Network - Airport - Advanced - Select the network in question and press "-" or move yours above it.
xUKHCx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 07:21 PM   #3
thumb
macrumors 6502

great, thank you.
thumb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2008, 03:51 PM   #4
wtwmd
macrumors newbie

removing networks, starting fresh in Airport

I installed a new network, with password, that now does not work (or I got the name of the network wrong) How do I get to start fresh again. What sort of network, among the options provided (WRC_Network coconet Other Airport Network) would be the best to connect with TimeMachine if I am able to get a fresh start? I'm the network administrator and I've botched it, run into a dead end.

Many thanks
wtwmd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2008, 07:38 AM   #5
jeffisme
macrumors newbie

i did what was suggested a couple of posts up, deleted the network and it no longer appears in that list, but why would it still show up in my menubar under the list of networks that my router can choose?

my network like rasputin refuses to die?
jeffisme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2008, 07:44 AM   #6
Queso
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffisme View Post
i did what was suggested a couple of posts up, deleted the network and it no longer appears in that list, but why would it still show up in my menubar under the list of networks that my router can choose?
The menubar list shows every network that's broadcasting within range of your computer, whether you want to connect to it or not. That's by design, as it helps travellers, coffee shop users, etc.
Queso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2008, 09:58 AM   #7
jeffisme
macrumors newbie

but how could a network that no longer exists continue to broadcast? where is it originating from? I'm assuming it's still listed somewhere on my mac, but I can't find it.

update: I think I found it. I had deleted it from the preferred networks list on my mac, and just went to my wife's mac and found it on hers and deleted it. I have a feeling that will do it.

Last edited by jeffisme; Nov 26, 2008 at 10:09 AM.
jeffisme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:50 PM   #8
123walter
macrumors member

Scary stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumb View Post
Hi all,

in my house, there are several available wifi networks, including my airport.

i tried joining one of the others once when mine was down, and now my computer regularly attempts to join that one when ever it wakes up. Can i make it forget to join that network, or make mine its first preference?

Cheers

thumb
Recently I noticed an ip from Peking china tried its best to get onto my system.(above medssage repeated 20 times etc) Then I buy a new trouter. My isp is useless. All they do is talk to my like Im a moron. DHCP etc etc. MY ip number changes. I ask them what are they showing..."ITS NOT THE SAME NUMBER" Then I get a visit from law enforcement over a questionable package I allegedly mailed to a national figure. Well Paypal clears me. I check my other bank accts. Paypal seems to be ok with passwd change. MY gmail passwd is changed. another bank acct is down 500. I get it back. Once again, Im cleared with my IP. NOW it gets scary. In my recents or should I say upper rt hand corner under the "fan" I see the 4 or 5 usuals and China and china guest?! Am I supposed to believe that someone locally just decided to name their acct China? Immore inclined to believe tht they are piggybacking somehow. They are pretending to be me. Im at my wits end.Is my iphone safe as long as I doontplug it in? Today I was gonna get rid of a wierd podcast Its one I subscribe to but it says unknown, and wont finish. As well as its from 1-12 and is no longer being brodcast. I have run the new fsecure thing, but I dont really believe in viruses as such. I think they are two legged creeps. Then one day I got a rejection on a job app...fpr a job I didnt apply for! They didnt have my ssn. But had driver license. I joined Lifelock, for what good it does. They seem more like clean up people. I try to warn them but they are more interested inshowing up after damage is done and getting your money back. I WANNA CATCH THES E JERKS.

i have been online since 89. Im not hardly a newby. I hang with noone. I belong to nothing. Facebooks etc. ARE ALL FOREIGN TO ME. Its really been quiet to me excpet fr these annoying net names. They are not in the list of previous visits. Its more like when your nighbors net shows up I am quitting my ISP. Everything. I will be checking for answers for next few weeks after that Im outa here. Its not worth it.

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
123walter is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X