Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

easports5001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
Some artists are not showing up on my ipod classic, when i choose Music> Artists, why is this happening?? Help please.

easports5001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
Actually about half of my artists are not shown when I choose Music>Artists, but I noticed this incident when I couldn't find Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Strange. Does the amount of space used on your iPod match the amount of space you'd think your collection should take up? In other words, does it look like the songs are there but not listed in this menu? Can you find them using a different route? If so, maybe try resetting your iPod by holding the top of the clickwheel and the middle button down for ten seconds or so.

easports5001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
The songs can be found when you look for them under "Songs" and "Albums" so they are definitely on the ipod. But when I try to use search to find them they don't get displayed.

I reseted the ipod and its still the same, I even restored the ipod and that didn't work either.

Anymore suggestions??

wsthornton

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2007
names not showing up in Artis view

I had the same problem after I updated my ipod firmware -- very frustrating. The resolution was to go to the main menu on your ipod, click Settings, click Music Menu, and make sure "Compilations" is NOT checked. Apparently the Compilations setting provides us the ability to browse compilations separate from artists. That would be pretty handy, but a bunch of my CDs must have been categorized incorrectly as "compilations" so it was throwing half my library in there.

I hope this fixed your problem.

bleedinghand

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2007
HK
Maybe your songs' ID3 information didn't contain the artist name.

try some ID3 editing tools to fix those songs. probably it works.

hope I could be help.

crothy

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2008
I wanted to bump this thread because I'm having the same problem and the compilations issue didn't help. Are there any other suggesstions to fix this? Oh, and what exactly does the ID3 stuff mean? Eh, I'll do a search but any help would be great....

MusicMan7

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2011
I had the same problem after I updated my ipod firmware -- very frustrating. The resolution was to go to the main menu on your ipod, click Settings, click Music Menu, and make sure "Compilations" is NOT checked. Apparently the Compilations setting provides us the ability to browse compilations separate from artists. That would be pretty handy, but a bunch of my CDs must have been categorized incorrectly as "compilations" so it was throwing half my library in there.

I hope this fixed your problem.

Thanx, that definitely solved the problem!!

Loukaniko

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2011
What I did that worked for me is go to Settings>>Music>>Turn "Group By Album Artist" Off. Hope it works!

prijecttimmy

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2011
Attention!

Here's the stitch.
If you're still having the problem, here is the solution.

iTunes allows you to edit the ID3 tag, but for some reason if there isn't already a title tag in the song, the title tag for that song in itunes becomes the FILENAME not the title tag.

What you have to do is, manually edit the title tag on your computer or with an external ID3 tagger software, the title tag IS NOT the file name.

In windows you can do this by; Right clicking the song, clicking properties and clicking details.

Make sure to have written the 'Title' and 'Album Artist' tags, the rest don't officially matter as you can change them later through iTunes. You can also change 'Album Artist' in iTunes, but do this before as a precaution.

No idea on mac as I don't use one lol.

Then upload to your iPod or iPhone, and it will be solved.

I hope this helps anyone, I have musical OCD and this really pissed me off.

Thanks.

- Timmy :)

Swansonca

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2012
Had the same issue.

Had the same issue. Did the above-mentioned iPod menu change (to do with compilations), then went into the playlist for my iPod, selected all songs, clicked info, and found under one of the tabs a box to click "this is part of a compilation" or something like that. Un-checked for all, and now all my albums show up under their respective artists!

Bruce B

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
unable to display artist and title in playlist

I have both the artists and titles on my ipod but when I go to one of the playlists I've loaded to it, it only displays the song name, unless I hit "play", and then both show up. How do I get it to display both artist and title in a playlist? if it takes two lines or scrolls, that is OK....

quinettaw02

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2012
I reseted the ipod and its still the same, I even restored the ipod and that didn't work either.

Ericky88

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2018
Actually about half of my artists are not shown when I choose Music>Artists, but I noticed this incident when I couldn't find Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers.

HELLO fellow humans.
I signed-up just to answer this as I checked about 14 pages and none of them helped and I just bumped into the answer (for my problem- which seems like the same) from trial & error.
- For you it was "Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers", for me it was "Pink Floyd". (How could ALL of my Pink Floyd songs/albums/etc only show-up in the # (numbers) section, at the bottom of the "Artists" list?!
Make sure (this is the basic stuff), in iTunes you highlight (or triple check) all your (Tom Petty / Pink Floyd) (whomever the artist is) and make sure that in both the 1st info tab (where you label it) and in the 'Sorting' tab that they are labeled how you want them. (If you want Tom Petty under "Petty, Tom" you need to label it that way in 'Sorting' at least). You can highlight all of your Tom Petty and then do the sorting re-label to make sure. After this, "Synch" your iPod/iphone.

*If the mis-take remains, do this:
On your iPod (or iPhone), go to "Settings"/"Music"/& then "Group by album artist" should be OFF.

BOOM- i did this and finally problem solved. Even calling-up Apple they couldn't tell me this one.
I wish you a beautiful, understanding life.

Reactions: MBAir2010

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Every painful OSX update since 2013 cannot find all my pink Floyd albums, 13 of them.
Along with music from that generation except zeppelin The Who and rush.
So I don’t update anymore, but Apple really needs to address this issue.

Gawd they get so customer friendly-less by the day!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.