Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jneckert

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
I know this forum is used mostly for persons having issues with their MB/MBP's and looking for help but I need to say how much I love the new MBP i just received. I ordered the 2.2 GHz, 15" glossy and asked for upgrade to 160GB 5400rpm drive which cost $75 from Apple. I upgraded the ram from OWC to 4GB for just over $100. I know people are advising to wait until Jan. when there may be an update but the current specs are more than adequate for my needs. YMMV.

The LED backlighting is incredible. The screen and text look crystal clear and sharp. When waking from sleep it powers on instantly. I love turning out the lights as night to watch the backlit keyboard light up. I showed my fiancee this feature and she was impressed. Leopard was pre-installed and most of my apps have made the transition. The one I am waiting for to be made Leopard-compatible is SuperDuper! which is due in the near future. Safari opens and loads faster in my unprofessional opinion and the improved tabbed browsing is overdue. I prefer the MBP keyboard to the MB one, there is more tactile response in my opinion. The MBP speakers sound louder and clearer than my old MB but it's not a fair comparison. It's a laptop and if I need better sound I have a decent external speaker that I use.

I do not utilize the MBP yet for some of the more professional capabilities, mostly home movie and photo editing, Keynote presentations and some page layout production for my classroom and school use (I am an elementary teacher). I also plan to use the MBP for future writing and publishing goals. I installed iWork 08' which looks and runs great so far.

I am just scratching the surface of all the new OS has to offer but so far I like Quick Look. It's great to be able to preview a file, photo, video, etc., without having to open the entire app. I personally don't mind the 3D dock or menu bar. I can see where the menu bar transparency can be annoying at times but not a deal killer for me. I preferred the old, hierarchal menu structure to Stacks and I don't plan on using it much. It's funny though, sometimes you buy an album and don't like a certain song. But when you listen to it months or even years later you hear in a different mood and it becomes your new favorite song. I think that there are features in Leopard that will grow on me in time even if I don't see their usefulness now. The bottom line is that are enough new and useful features now to make the transition worth while. Leopard will only improve in stability and user features in time.

Like I said, I just wanted to share some of the positive reactions I've had to the current MBP model and the new OS. I made up my mind to not wait for another update and I have no regrets. Thank you to everyone on these forums who helped me to make up my mind. Thank you Apple for making quality, user friendly products that do work. No machine or company is perfect but I enjoy computers again. I'm having fun and getting work done.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
i wish we had more comments like this. than we wouldn't have people thinking that the mbp and mb and bad and full of bugs. people need to here how great these machines really are. im really happy that your happy with your new toy! have fun and enjoy! thanks for the positive reinforcement

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
i wish we had more comments like this. than we wouldn't have people thinking that the mbp and mb and bad and full of bugs. people need to here how great these machines really are. im really happy that your happy with your new toy! have fun and enjoy! thanks for the positive reinforcement

I just bought a 17" MBP High Res, Matte, 2.6Ghz, 4gig (non apple ram), 200gig HD 7200 RPM, —— it is the best Mac I have ever owned, better even than my Quad G5.

I use it for high end CMS website development and mid-range commercial video editing and production.

It's a beast and I am glad to have purchased.

Dante Orazzi

rezenclowd3

macrumors 65816
Same here, I love my MBP. I received it mid October and really am quite happy. Quite a few things bug me about 10.5 vs 10.4, but thats just life in the OS world. Nothing is wrong with my MBP at all. If it had a few dead pixels I wouldn't care like some of the others on the board, as I know that a few are acceptable in manufacturing. My F2 key sticks sometimes, and sometimes the trackpad freaks out or doesn't register, but honestly, the thing reboots in what, 30 seconds? My last computer was a TiBook 867, and wow, this MBP is just great, plus the fact that it runs Windows so darned well doubles its usefulness for me. Just upgrade the 8600M GT drivers from Laptopvideo2go and you are good.

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Today, I just placed my order for the top-of-the-line "Blackbook," and it should be arriving within the next few days. All in all, glad you're enjoying your MBP, but I seriously hate the keyboard. It's just too soft and lacks the "clicky" feeling that I prefer. That's why I think the MacBook keyboard is far better.

hh83917

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2005
I just bought a 17" MBP High Res, Matte, 2.6Ghz, 4gig (non apple ram), 200gig HD 7200 RPM, —— it is the best Mac I have ever owned, better even than my Quad G5.

I use it for high end CMS website development and mid-range commercial video editing and production.

It's a beast and I am glad to have purchased.

Dante Orazzi

Quick question, I just received the same machine. I'm really happy about it but do you have any sluggish dock animations? Can you please check it out by going to you Macintosh HD in the Finder and drag the Application folder into the dock and open it from there in Grid mode. Please check if you have sluggish animation when you open the Application Grid, thank you. :eek:

I read somewhere that all the new Macbooks have this issue but I'd like to confirm it that it's not just mine.

soms

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2007
Seattle
Quick question, I just received the same machine. I'm really happy about it but do you have any sluggish dock animations? Can you please check it out by going to you Macintosh HD in the Finder and drag the Application folder into the dock and open it from there in Grid mode. Please check if you have sluggish animation when you open the Application Grid, thank you. :eek:

I read somewhere that all the new Macbooks have this issue but I'd like to confirm it that it's not just mine.

From what I've read it mainly is a probably with Leopard

jneckert

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007

Thanks. Let me add Spaces to my pros for MBP w/Leopard. I didn't realize you can drag and drop between the different windows/desktops in Spaces. This is fun.

jneckert

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Ok, one last rave. I watched a Quicktime video last night in high-def at 720p and it looked incredible! It's like seeing 20/20 after years of needing glasses. I have not found a reason to use Windows yet as I have been able to find a comparable app on the Mac side for my needs. Granted, I am more on the consumer end of the pro/sumer category. One of the only features I prefer in my old MB is the magnetic latch over the MBP's hinged lock mechanism. The pros far outweigh the few little cons I have which are all based on my personal opinion.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
A friend of mine just got a MBP Friday night. I must say- you are right. I loved it and want one. Now if they'd just make them out of something sturdier than aluminum...;) And no- I've decided a MacBook won't do. They just aren't that great.

Macula

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2006
All over the place
I totally agree with the OP! My old Macbook would hang, it had 4 stuck pixels, its touchpad would squeak, it suffered from the occasional whine and kernel panic, it overheated, its display had washed out colors -- but hey, it was a damn great machine! We love Apple, after all, don't we all?

jneckert

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
A friend of mine just got a MBP Friday night. I must say- you are right. I loved it and want one. Now if they'd just make them out of something sturdier than aluminum...;) And no- I've decided a MacBook won't do. They just aren't that great.

I think the aluminum helps to set the MBP apart from the consumer-oriented MB but aluminum does tend to dent easier. I make sure to double pad my MBP when traveling with a notebook cover and a backpack with a padded section for notebooks. Paying $2000+ tends to make me more careful in general about dropping or banging it around. Accidents happen...but aluminum helps keep costs down to a minimum compared to stronger materials.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.