Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
HDR on Wikipedia

High dynamic range imaging is the process of merging three or more differently exposed but otherwise identical photos into one, which increases the Dynamic Range of the photo, bringing to light an often dramatic tonal range in the photo.

The two primary types of HDR are:

1) Bracketing usually three or more differently exposed but otherwise identical photos from the camera, either by setting the auto bracketing function on your SLR camera or manually adjusting the shutter speed. A tripod and a shutter trigger are often required for this.

Advantages:
The more exposures captured straight from the camera give you and your HDR editing software more data to work with, helping to make a superior photo.

Disadvantages: Doesn't work well when there are moving objects in the composition. Moving people, animals, cars, traffic lights changing color, et cetera.

2) HDR from one RAW file - make sure your SLR camera is in RAW mode, capture the best mid-range exposure you can, and then use software such as Photoshop, Aperture, or Lightroom to assign different exposure compensations to the photo, such as 0 (original mid-range shot), +2 (overexposed), and -2 (underexposed). After exporting these three versions of the same photo, you are ready to take them into your HDR editing software.

Advantages: Works just fine with moving objects, and when you do not have a tripod on hand.

Disadvantages: Sometimes there is not enough data in a single photo capture to make a good HDR image. If there are any very darkly lit areas of the photo, there will be an unacceptable amount of noise.

And now for the HDR editing software that will be required:

The two primary HDR editors out there are Adobe Photoshop (CS2, CS3) or Photomatix Pro (http://www.hdrsoft.com).

Photoshop> File> Automate> Merge to HDR

or

Photomatix Pro > HDR >Generate>Browse>Select>OK, then HDR>Tone mapping.

In my opinion, Photomatix Pro (demo available, $99 to purchase) is superior to the HDR function in Photoshop, allowing for far more creative control.

Other thoughts - for HDR, make sure your ISO setting is as low as possible. 100 is a good place to start. HDR tends to bring out noise you didn't even know was there even at low ISOs, therefore a good noise filter program/plugin is helpful too, along with shooting at the lowest ISO you can get away with. ISO 800 or 1600? Forget about it.

A great, in depth HDR tutorial on the web: Pete Carr's HDR Guide

And now: Examples:

HDR from six source images, tripod mounted, adjusting shutter speed for each...
IMG_0339_40_41_42_43_44_A+copy.jpg

Seven source images..
IMG_0466_67_68_69_70_71_72+copy.jpg

From one RAW:

plazastreetscape.jpg

plazalightssunset.jpg

It is arguable that cityscape photography is perhaps the greatest use for HDR, and since so much of what I shoot are cityscapes, I've spent lots of time working with HDR. But it definitely has uses for interior photography and even portraiture, for both artistic and practical uses.

Have fun and post your creations for us.

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
Very timely, as today I tried out HDR for the first time. I used photomatix pro, and haven't bought it yet, so excuse the watermarks. Super easy, but I don't know if it's worth the money yet

I didn't realize Photoshop could do it. The fact that photomatix had a photoshop plugin made me think it couldn't, but now it makes more sense why the plug in is just tone mapping. I might give that a shot too.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
HDR is very useful for shooting interiors. I don't have any lighting set-up, and the dynamic range of a pic like this extends from gloomy corners to the light through the windows. Without HDR I'd be able to get the highlights right, or the shadowed areas... but not both.

For any Quakers out there, this is Swarthmoor Hall, near ulverston, home of George Fox...

swarthmoorhall2dv6.jpg

Daringescape

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
CA
I just posted this pic in the photo of the day thread, but I will post it here as well. I shot it last night and really like how it turned out.

my living room - 5 exposures, canon rebel xti, 18-55 kit lens

Attachments

• mantle-HDR.jpg
    mantle-HDR.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 1,496

JNB

macrumors 604
Wow! Amazing shots, the cityscapes look like paintings! Something else to take up my time trying...

Waiting on my 1250x90mm scope, gonna try my hand at beginning astrophotography and take advantage of the reach for terrestrial stuff, too.

Thankfully, all I need the wife to say is, "oh, what pretty pictures of the kitties," and I'm god for another hardware/software expenditure.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
And now: Examples:

<super awesome pics>

Come on, you're scaring us newbies away with those super cool pics! :p

Anyways, I just got a RAW capable camera, so I practiced with HDR for a few minutes. Nothing spectacular, but it's still an improvement over the original!

eiggyq0x114w53u.jpg

I know, blown out highlights, and probably not the best subject for HDR. But hey, it's my first! :)

desenso

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2005
I just posted this pic in the photo of the day thread, but I will post it here as well. I shot it last night and really like how it turned out.

Hope you're making a christmas card out of it!

jsfpa

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
Here are a couple of mine.

Attachments

• 20070826-SWC3_HDR2.jpg
    20070826-SWC3_HDR2.jpg
    615.3 KB · Views: 887
  • 20070909-fence5bRC_HDR2.jpg
    20070909-fence5bRC_HDR2.jpg
    826.5 KB · Views: 1,267

dabirdwell

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2002
Oklahoma
Here's something...

One of my partners at work does HDR. We are both into photography, but I do more macro and nature work, plus the product photography for our company and a little freelance wedding etc. He's a real processing genius (our CTO and lead programmer) and works almost exclusively in HDR nowadays.

He just got a D300 and has some stuff here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhythmandcode/

Seems like the photo circles at Flickr like his stuff...

P.S. make sure to check out the HDR panos from Amsterdam. Awesome!

Chris14

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2006
Hamilton, NZ
A little help with HDR please...

This is aimed at anyone who can help...
Okay, so I have been fiddling with HDR and Photomatix Pro, but can't seem to get any thing near the results of Valdore :confused:

Here are my three source images:

http://aycu24.webshots.com/image/35063/2000699212882380452_rs.jpg
http://aycu06.webshots.com/image/38125/2000642042411763501_rs.jpg
http://aycu26.webshots.com/image/36865/2000612014592124117_rs.jpg

But every time I try to make turn them into HDR with Photomatix they look awful. I try to fiddle around with the Tone Mapping but it results in ugly images, Eg. Over saturated and the clouds are ruined. Anyone want to give it a go and see if they can get good results? Are my source images the problem or am I not using Photomatix correctly?

valdore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
This is turning out to be a very interesting topic...

thanks Valdore! great idea! :p

What time of day do you shoot your cityscapes?

For HDR I often prefer sunrise and sunset. Though I've found uses for the technique at all hours of the day and night. :)

This is aimed at anyone who can help...
Okay, so I have been fiddling with HDR and Photomatix Pro, but can't seem to get any thing near the results of Valdore :confused:

Here are my three source images:
snip...

But every time I try to make turn them into HDR with Photomatix they look awful. I try to fiddle around with the Tone Mapping but it results in ugly images, Eg. Over saturated and the clouds are ruined. Anyone want to give it a go and see if they can get good results? Are my source images the problem or am I not using Photomatix correctly?

I borrowed your source images...

_0And2more.jpg

Here are the settings in Photomatix...

hdr.jpg

Dude, your stuff is freaking amazing.

Thanks! I'm flattered. I'm also enjoying seeing all these HDRs from everyone.

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005

ooOoOo, looks so inviting!
Egg nog at your place ???;)

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
You can also make a single image HDR from a JPEG right? I guess it wouldnt have as much detail as a RAW though, but it would still work.

1 JPEG image HDR.

Attachments

• lakeHDR.jpg
    lakeHDR.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 944

Chris14

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2006
Hamilton, NZ
thanks

Thanks for the help Valdore, I guess it is really just about trial and error in the Tone Mapping department anyway. That still looks better than anything I could make. I will keep on at it... Thanks again!

onomatopoeia

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2007
Here are a few of mine (all are from at least 3 RAWs):

B&W HDR:
1031113801_394689462f.jpg

The prototypical "clouds look cool in HDR" shot:
498859527_26e82a0987.jpg

One of my over-the-top liberal uses of the HDR effect:
495805203_f0dde48249.jpg

This one didn't need much HDR processing but it did help give the image a little added punch. IMO, HDR is best done when its effect is subtle. It's harder to do but true tone HDR looks much better.
1030060056_82906913f2.jpg

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
eh. does anyone else think these images look like videogames? Not that there's anything wrong with videogames, but they just seem so unnatural to me. And muddy.

I don't mean to bash the style, but I thought I'd share my opinion.

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
eh. does anyone else think these images look like videogames? Not that there's anything wrong with videogames, but they just seem so unnatural to me. And muddy.

I don't mean to bash the style, but I thought I'd share my opinion.

I disagree. I, like others, like the subtle HDR shots most. Although I do love seeing a really good over the top HDR photo like Valdores. Its neat. Some photos after HDR look not all that different than the originals... my HDR that I posted is almost identical, with just a little more brightness and colour, and it evened the light a bit, like Doylem said about his indoor HDR shot.

Attachments

• p1000322te2.jpg
    p1000322te2.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 509
  • lakeHDR.jpg
    lakeHDR.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 611
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.