Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Alright well my Dad got me an iPhone as a surprise before christmas. Right now i have a Moto Q with Verizon which is working well for me.

I have a list of pros and cons

Pros
-Its an iPhone
Cons
-Its ATT (bad for me)
-I have to have an early termination fee thing
-I have to do something with my old phone (sell it?)
-People in my grade will constantly bother me to 'see' it

What do you guys think i should do?

Also

My dad also got my brother an iPhone which he immediately opened (mine is still sealed and he can return it and what not)

But when my brother plugged it into his Macbook (10.4) it just keeps popping up iPhoto when it's plugged in. iTunes or the Finder wont even recognize it, how do i fix that?

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Ensure you have the latest iTunes installed and ACTUALLY LAUNCH it then connect your iPhone. Also it won't pop up in Finder because it doesn't support disk mode....yet.

As for keeping its up to you do you really need/want an iPhone?....you don't sound like you do. If you're happy with your Q then.....

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
Well if your dad got you the phone (and assumedly he knew you were on Verizon) do you think he'd be kind enough to pick up the termination fee for you?

Everything else is preference. If AT&T is really stinky service where you live, then it might be smart to pass.

And just tell everyone in your class to get their own iphone. :cool:

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Sell old fone to offset termination fee. When with friends dont make a big fuss over the phone let them have a quick play then let jealousy consume them.

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
Well, people asking you to see it and having to get rid of your old phone aren't really issues. But if you dont have good service with AT&T and don't want to / can't afford to pay the termination fee from your old contract than the iPhone isn't for you and I suggest an i-mate or a blackberry.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
Service should always be the #1 concern. People make At&T service out to be worse than it is but it does drastically vary from place to place. So if it's not good where you live stick with what is.

ert3

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2007
Well I say go with the iphone

The cool will wear off soon so as long as you don't show it off around teachers yo uwill be fine.

the iphone has to be returned withen 30 days or there will be a 175 dollar fee.

You can sell your motorola q on ebay you cannot do the same for a nonjail broken iphone.

If you do alot of myspace and you-tube the iphone is for you.

If you like to listen to music on the go the iphone is for you.

The iphone data plans should compensate you leaving the "in" Network so i wouldn't worry about texting and stuff.

In the end your real issue is do you want to deal with a windows mobile phone ( I never liked my windows mobile phones) or a Mac phone.

That and All your verison friends will eat at your minnutes.

(This reply was written in the worst english known to man but I am to tired to fix it right now)

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
...If you like to listen to music on the go the iphone is for you...
I must take exception with that statement. For video I agree, but for music the iPhone is not nearly as good as an iPod IMHO. Plus it sucks your battery dry in no time (well, about 5 hours). If I had it to do over again I would not buy an iPhone, but would have stick with what I had (Moto RAZR + iPod).

But I agree, the most important thing here is the service. If AT&T is really not as good where you live, then I would stick with what you have.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
the iphone has to be returned withen 30 days or there will be a 175 dollar fee.

Actually there is no such fee. You can keep it for as long as you want, and there is no fee.

If you open it, and try to return it, there is a 10% fee. If it's unopened then there is no fee for returning. Return is 14 days.

You can keep it, and sign up service later, or you can sell it or return it now, and get one later.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
My dad also got my brother an iPhone which he immediately opened (mine is still sealed and he can return it and what not)

But when my brother plugged it into his Macbook (10.4) it just keeps popping up iPhoto when it's plugged in. iTunes or the Finder wont even recognize it, how do i fix that?

Your brother needs to update his iTunes.

iPhone does not show up in the finder. That's normal behavior. But it should open up iTunes when you plug it in though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.