Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brutus

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2003
Hannover/Germany
at the moment I am working on my old 15" tibook 667 but as the warranty only last for another two month and the thing is extremly fragile I am planning to buy a new 12" or 15"

- Does anyone know about benchmarks of the new 12" model?
- does anyone know about the grafic performance of the new fx go5200?
- what about the heat issue the old 12" model had?
- what about the display? Still the poor thing from the old 12"?

Any hints?

Best regards
Daniel

ExoticFish

macrumors 6502a
the question about the performance of the new fx go5200 is exactly what i want to know. NOWHERE online can i find a review of that mobile graphics card. what i really want is a comparison between the fx go5200 and the mobile radeon 9000 to see the difference between my old 15" TiBook and new soon to be 12" AlBook.

Col127

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2003
i received my new 12" PB yesterday. for the most part, it was generally cool until i started loading applications and using it at full throttle. even while plugged in, the PB only got to a "warm" feeling. nothing unbearable, and nothing uncomfortable at all. it was fine. but both sides were warm, not just the left side.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
as long as we've moved past the "fry an egg" level that the rev A 12"er had, people should be satisfied. *all* laptops get somewhat warm.

the 5200go is better than the Radeon 7500 that's in the current ibooks and 667/800 (second to last gen.) Tibooks. And it gets smoked by the 9600. But I don't know how it compares to the Radeon 9000, found in the last generation of Tibooks... Personally, I wish apple used ATI across the board, but what can ya do...

brutus

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2003
Hannover/Germany
I already owned a few notebooks and never had one that got that warm under your hands! If its gets warm at the backside I dont care but if I have to touch a hot spot every time I use the keys its crap!

especially if its that high prised. These are the things I expect from a low budget wintel piece of ... but not from an apple high quality powerbook... But if its solved... But the screen has not been changed... I will visit our local dealer tomorrow. hopefully he already received a new 12". Monday he just had the new 15"

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
I have the original Powerbook 12" and one of my buddies just got the new one and he brought it over. I didn't even know they were available yet, but whatever. Anyway, the heat is exactly the same as mine, except now, both sides get of the palm rest on the keyboard get hot, strange. The graphics performance is marginally better, and the machine feel marginally snappier, but not anygreat advancement. Battery life seems to be about the same, but the fan runs a lot more. Hope this helps.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
well, I hope you're wrong yoda. I've been hearing from others who have gotten the new 12" that it runs a lot cooler, and I would expect it to be more than marginally snappier. But we shall see I guess.

brutus

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2003
Hannover/Germany
lol!

to be honest, I am getting more and more confused:
-About 50 percent say the display is the same, 50 percent say its better
-About 75 percent say the heat problem has been solved, 25 percent say it still exist...

arghh, what's right and what's not!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.