Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redgtxdi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
So, I first figured out that handbrake won't rip DVD's by itself. Must decrypt first. Did so w/ Decrypter & then used handbrake.

I left ALL settings as default..........converted "The Matrix" to mp4 (Windows says M4V) but when I try to sync in iTunes, I get the message......

"Matrix" was not copied to the iPod because it cannot be played on this ipod".

What????

redgtxdi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
wingnut,

Thanks!! Trying it right now!! Realized I had to first drag the movie into iTunes. (Can't do it from Windows)

Then, once in iTunes I was able to right-click & see that selection available in the drop-menu.

Now, how long can this be expected to take??? (Progress meter shows absolutely nothing in the first minute or two).

So, not only will handbrake not rip DVD's on its own, there's also now a 3rd step to actually prep movies for transfer to iPod???

No wonder Apple makes so much freakin' money...........folks just finally give up after spending 24 hours on ONE $^#!ing MOVIE & buy the damn thing thru iTunes.

:mad:

cohibadad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
that's what iTunes Store is there for. Most people won't even attempt to rip/encode themselves. and handbrake presets for ipod low rez doesn't always make the video ipod compatible in my experience. I think you have to reduce the kbps a little but not sure.

redgtxdi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
Well, from my reading, yes.....it looks like lowering the kbps might do it.

And I surely hope it does 'cuz otherwise..............iTunes progress meter is at about 1% after a 1/2hr. This outta' definitely take another whole day!!

Gravy!! :mad::mad::mad:

redgtxdi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
Ahhhh..........a couple hours later & we're now about 1/8th of the way thru!!!

So loooovin' this!!!

!#$^$^!%!%!!~#@@%&!$##@$~@#%~$^!#$~$%~~!~~~~!!!!!! :mad:

redgtxdi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
OK, scratched the whole lettin' iTunes do it & went back into handbrake. I figured there's got to be a better way.

Finally figured out (which I seem to have missed in days of googling) that if you simply hit the "Show Presets" it'll show you EXACTLY what you're looking for.

A couple things to note.......

#1.) When you hit "Show Presets" it will literally pop the menu right out of your (regular, not wide) screen's view. So then drag handbrake's window over so you can actually SEE the presets.

#2.) Don't bother setting the aspect ratio yourself, just select "ipod/iphone" as the preset........***BUT***.......if you want the best looking movie, click in the lower section of handbrake under "video" and select the "2nd pass" option. (It is not already selected)

#3.) When you're done.......you CANNOT drag/drop the movie in yourself, but you *can* drag/drop the movie into the playlist........so do that, then when you click back in your iPod and select the "Movies" tab for your ipod, it'll show that particular movie. Then you can sync everything, or select just that movie & sync the movie. (Obviously click apply down at the bottom to do so 'cuz sometimes iTunes says "sync" and sometimes it says "apply".)

Sorry, I'm not Mac savy, so to me iTunes is the most illogical POS software I have ever seen in my life and geared 101% toward selling people stuff and syncing (aka "isolating so nobody can swap music") everything all the time, every time.

Jobs DIAF!!!!!!!

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
OK, scratched the whole lettin' iTunes do it & went back into handbrake. I figured there's got to be a better way.

Finally figured out (which I seem to have missed in days of googling) that if you simply hit the "Show Presets" it'll show you EXACTLY what you're looking for.

A couple things to note.......

#1.) When you hit "Show Presets" it will literally pop the menu right out of your (regular, not wide) screen's view. So then drag handbrake's window over so you can actually SEE the presets.

#2.) Don't bother setting the aspect ratio yourself, just select "ipod/iphone" as the preset........***BUT***.......if you want the best looking movie, click in the lower section of handbrake under "video" and select the "2nd pass" option. (It is not already selected)

#3.) When you're done.......you CANNOT drag/drop the movie in yourself, but you *can* drag/drop the movie into the playlist........so do that, then when you click back in your iPod and select the "Movies" tab for your ipod, it'll show that particular movie. Then you can sync everything, or select just that movie & sync the movie. (Obviously click apply down at the bottom to do so 'cuz sometimes iTunes says "sync" and sometimes it says "apply".)

Sorry, I'm not Mac savy, so to me iTunes is the most illogical POS software I have ever seen in my life and geared 101% toward selling people stuff and syncing (aka "isolating so nobody can swap music") everything all the time, every time.

Jobs DIAF!!!!!!!

Well there is a reason for that, and don't blame Apple. You are not able to swap songs or movies to other iTunes libraries because the record companies and movie studios will not let you (not apple).

You could drag the movie onto your iPod directly if you click on "manually manage music and videos" within iTunes, on the summary tab for your device ;) .

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Well, from my reading, yes.....it looks like lowering the kbps might do it.

And I surely hope it does 'cuz otherwise..............iTunes progress meter is at about 1% after a 1/2hr. This outta' definitely take another whole day!!

Gravy!! :mad::mad::mad:

I don't understand why you're so anrgy. You're upset because a program is trying to STOP you from pirating? (Yes, you may only be ripping it for yourself but it's still an unauthorised copy) Sorry to say, but despite the fact it is easier and more convenient then paying for a digital copy of a movie you already have, iTunes and Apple is technically doing the 'right' thing in trying to stop pirated movies from being synced to iPods. So seriously, settle the hell down.

...that's not to say that I don't rip DVDs for my iPod though :p However, I have a thing called patience...

writeright

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2008
I don't understand why you're so anrgy. You're upset because a program is trying to STOP you from pirating? (Yes, you may only be ripping it for yourself but it's still an unauthorised copy) Sorry to say, but despite the fact it is easier and more convenient then paying for a digital copy of a movie you already have, iTunes and Apple is technically doing the 'right' thing in trying to stop pirated movies from being synced to iPods. So seriously, settle the hell down.

...that's not to say that I don't rip DVDs for my iPod though :p However, I have a thing called patience...

that is a horribly stupid and contradictory thing to say. copying a dvd for your own use is not unauthorized use...just as personal vhs is not and was not. it's called fair use...and many mp3/video legal battles have been dismissed because of the owner's proof.

quick5pnt0

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2008
Well there is a reason for that, and don't blame Apple. You are not able to swap songs or movies to other iTunes libraries because the record companies and movie studios will not let you (not apple).

True, but that doesn't mean that Apple has to make things so hard. In my experience Itunes is less than intuitive. Besides, its not like all this BS they make you go through is stopping anyone from stealing music anyway. For every roadblock they put in place there are dozens of solutions to get around them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning stealing music. My point is to show that Apple is only punishing the law abiding customers by making things hard and unintuitive, not the ones who want to steal.

iTunesConfuzed

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2010
Issues

Hey I have the same problem with my iPod Classic. I downloaded a movie, its now on iTunes, but I get the same message when I try to put it on my iPod. I was told it had something o do with the KPB, and i checked, the movie has more than apparently its aloud to have.. but I was also told i could alter the amount of KPB, and I cant figure out how to do this.. Any sugestions?

Thanks for any help! :)

iTC

alpacasrme

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2010
Made move from vado saved Quicktime-why won't avi read to ipod?

Why won't a .avi movie read to Quicktime? Why does it have to be converted into a different format for ipod touch-3rd gen?
Thanks

chris1002

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2010
what if the video is already in your itunes and is in a MPED-4 file format? cause its saying that even though its in my library. (im using windows by the way.

DanAmrich

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2004
For me, it wasn't Right click>Convert to iPod/iPhone

I had to click Advance>Convert to iPod/iPhone

Hope this helps!

Yes, it did! I'm using iTunes 9.2 for Windows.

Again, transcoding speed from here out will vary based on the machine, but it's either do this or re-rip, so I appreciate this tip.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
that is a horribly stupid and contradictory thing to say. copying a dvd for your own use is not unauthorized use...just as personal vhs is not and was not. it's called fair use...and many mp3/video legal battles have been dismissed because of the owner's proof.

[edit: just realized i replied to an ancient post. Sorry]

Don't know if you're in the US or not (though other countries have similar laws anyway), but there's a poorly understood provision of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA) that makes it illegal to circumvent the copy protection on copyrighted DVDs to extract the content, even if you own a copy of the DVD, the copy is for your own personal use, and you don't distribute the content or infringe the copyright in any other way. Ripping DVDs is treated completely differently under the law than CDs and MP3s are, because CDs, while copyrighted, don't have copy-protection encryption. Unfortunately, we the consumers don't get to broadly apply "fair use" to this situation.

I don't like it any more than you do, but it's probably good to be aware of what the actual legality is. As it is, I don't think that people who rip their own DVDs are likely to ever get "caught", as long as they don't share the files or draw attention to themselves in some other way.

I suspect the law will get changed in favor of the user pretty soon, but at the moment it is not actually legal to extract the content (rip) copyrighted and copy-protected DVDs, regardless of what you do with the resulting file.

Incidentally, the difference in legality is specifically why software like iTunes has provisions for ripping CDs, but not DVDs.

spudwaffle

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2010
iMovie

I had a similar problem and dragged my video into iMovie, then shared it to iTunes.

Edit: Never mind, that doesn't work.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.