Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I am on a mac Mini, and I have bootcamp installed with XP. when I am in Leopard the number pad works, but when I am booted into XP it does not. The keyboard is a wired apple keyboard, the white one not the alluminum. if anyone has any ideas to fix this it would be appreciated.

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
ok this might seem mad at first.

Go into wordpad or similar and type out some text (anything will do).
Now press left on the arrow keys a few times so the flashing bar (can never remember the name) is in the middle of the text.

Now press 4 and/or 6. Does the flashing bar move left and right. If it does it means you need to activate the numlock (so the numbers work as the keyboard is dual function on windows). The numlock is usually above the 7 on a windows keyboard. As to how you do that with a mac keyboard, as thats where the clear looks to be, well thats another matter.

If it doesn't work, I haven't got a clue apart from maybe you need some specific drivers installing for the keyboard.

Reactions: JedNZ

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
It isn't turned on all the time in Windows like it is in Leopard. To turn it on press the "Clear" button, which functions as the "Num Lock" button in Windows ;)

JoeCanadian

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks as well

I had the same problem and the CLEAR key on aluminium keyboard does operate like the NUM Lock Key when booted into XP via Boot Camp. Thanks for this thread.

cranbers

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2008
haha, wow that is dumb. I had this issue, its amazing what a quick google search does.

Press the clear button to use a mac keyboard in windows with the number pad.

I was going to be super pissed if my new keyboard's num pad didn't work in windows, that's why I bought it! haha I had the nice fansy wireless mini keyboard, but being a networking guy who types ip addresses in for a living. Yeah you gotta have it:)

Thanks guys. ;)

MarkyMarkTime

macrumors newbie
I am on a mac Mini, and I have bootcamp installed with XP. when I am in Leopard the number pad works, but when I am booted into XP it does not. The keyboard is a wired apple keyboard, the white one not the alluminum. if anyone has any ideas to fix this it would be appreciated.

I struggled with this one for a bit. I chanced across the solution on another form, and I didn't take note of the person who posted the answer to this problem. However, the solution is obvious once you read it (particularly if you have worked with PCs before).

As a default, the Numeric Keypad on a PC Keyboard is not active for number entry. To activate the Numeric Keypad on a PC Keyboard for number entry, you must first hit the NUM LOCK button. Once you hit the NUM LOCK button on a PC Keyboard, the numeric keypad becomes active and ready for number input (the Numeric Keypad's default mode is to act as cursor arrow keys for moving the cursur around when the Num Lock key is not active, with the number 8 an up arrow, 2 a down arrow, 4 a left arrow and 6 a right arrow - precisely what the Numeric Keypad on Apple's Extended Keyboard does).

So how do you activate NUM LOCK on Apple's Extended Keyboard?

The Apple Extended Keyboard doesn't have a Num Lock key. However, by tapping the CLEAR key (located near the top left side of the Numeric Keypad on Apple's Extended Keyboard), you activate NUM LOOK, just like on a PC keyboard.

That is, toggling the CLEAR key will activate Apple's Extended Keyboard's Numeric Keypad on and off, just like the NUM LOCK key does on a PC Keyboard.

I hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.