Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Hey,

Well I have began folding again, for a while at least as I have a Windows box. It is capable of running two instances of folding@home but I don't know how to set this up? I open the application a second time and it just says that it is going to shut.

Can some one post a link to a dual-core client or explain how I can set this up in a console version. Thanks.

BTW watch out I'm back. (Folding under Snousa this time :))

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
more info on which cpu you have would be a good start.

also, will this run 24/7, or be shut down at night?

reason i ask is that it is possible to run two 5.04 console clients on one machine, but it is NOT possible to run two 5.91 SMP console clients on one machine.

5.04 is a better bet if the the machine will go off and on as the client can be setup as a service and will auto launch at boot. pros-easy, automatic. cons-slower, less points.

5.91 SMP is better for a true 2/4 core system, but is not supported as a service yet (yes, i know it can be done...) and has tight deadlines that you might not make if the machine in not folding 24/7. pros-fast, lots of points. cons-still crashing now and then, needs to be watched, no 'supported' service solution.

let me know what you've got, how you want to run, and i can try to help with the config. welcome back!

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
The computer is a P4 with Hyper Threading. It will run only during the night as during the day the computer is too loud to use :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help :)

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
The computer is a P4 with Hyper Threading. It will run only during the night as during the day the computer is too loud to use :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help :)

couple more quick notes then... i'll assume running 2000/xp, if not let me know... will anyone need to use the system while it's folding? guessing not since you said at night, but hate to help you saturate the computer and then have you need to check email in a hurry! :eek:

other point is my suggestions will be based on personal experience. if someone has a better recommendation, please jump in. i am always looking for better ways to do this as well! so on with a report of what i have found...

background: 2 identical compaq p4/3ghz ht/800mhz fsb/1gb ram systems. installed only 1 client on the first at 100% running 24/7, and 2 clients on the second both at 98% running 24/7.

first thing i noticed was the task manager on the single client only showing 50% cpu usage. not actually true, but that was the display in task manager. the dual client was showing around 96% cpu usage in task manager. hyperthreading is a clever accounting trick if you will. one physical core (in door), but two virtual processors (out doors). in this case 1 + 1 = 1, but it helps with overhead, traffic, media threaded apps, etc.

second observation was that the single client machine was totally usable, responsive, opened/closed windows quickly, etc. the dual client machine was barely usable, not very responsive, long time to redraw the screen, etc.

last observation was the heat/cooling situation. these were nice quality towers, decent oem fan setup, no hardware changes made, and folding in an office environment. the single client ran fine, reasonably quiet/cool, and i saw no problems. the dual client maxed out the fans, ran just under the never exceed intel temps, and acted like it was at the end of its rope, couldn't keep up with the work, and was going to melt down.

ran for 1 month this way, and at the end, both survived, but i had a noisy cpu fan on the dual client box after the solid month. over the month run, i saw very little points difference between the two... less than 200 points if i remember right. here in the states, 'emachine' are crap entry level boxes. i think 2 clients on an p4/3ghz emachine would kill the box very quickly for perspective.

so, long story, but my suggestion would be to run one 5.04 client at 100% unless this is a badass, super cooled, server class machine that can take the abuse. dead computers don't finish work units very well or very often...

you mentioned 'trying to run the app a second time', so do you have one client installed and running now, or did you need help getting that set up? happy to help, answer questions, or whatever, just want to give correct advice! thanks.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks that made a lot of sense, if true and the end result is only minor I will stick to one core then. Don't won't to overheat the machine too much.

Tank-you again :)

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
the return of ramble man!

pleasure, hope it helped.

quick install instructions if you decide to try it, use it to heat your home, or just want to watch a cpu melt a heatsink.

download the current 5.04 client to the desktop.
create 2 directories on the c: drive, i recommend c:\fah1 and c:\fah2
copy the '5.04.exe' client to both directories (copy paste twice)
rename the client in c:\fah1 to 'fah1.exe'
rename the client in c:\fah2 to 'fah2.exe'
open a command window (start>run>command)
cd \ (to get to the root directory)
cd fah1
type 'fah1.exe -local -configonly' without the ' to start the config. the local flag is used to keep the clients running in their separate folders, and configonly tells the client not to start running yet. fight you way through setup. after setup it should drop you back to the command prompt.
cd \
cd fah2
type 'fah2.exe -local -configonly' without the ' to start the second config. same as before, but this time make sure to answer yes to the 'change advanced option' question. fight your way through setup. difference for the second client is the last question, 'Machine ID' must be set to 2. should drop you back to the command prompt.
type 'exit' to close the window
right click on 'my computer' and select 'manage'
click 'services and applications' and then 'services' in the left pane
scroll down to find 'fah1' and 'fah2' in the right pane.
right click on the client and select 'start' or 'stop' as required.

extra info stuff: if you install both at 100%, it better be a server. on hyperthread dual installs, i recommend setting 'large' and 'advanced wu' to no, and i would recommend setting the 'report memory' to half of the actual ram for each client (1gb ram total, 512mb for each client). renaming the clients to fah1 and fah2 helps with the clients crashing at boot due to 'process already running', but i have still had a few. easy to just restart the client that shutdown by using the right-click/manage method above. if you want to remove a client from the service startup, use the same setup as above, but answer yes to the remove service question, restart the computer and then delete the fah directory. if it's a dual client install, and you are only removing one, make sure you shutdown and remove 'fah2' instead of 'fah1' to keep things running right.

best of luck to all who fold here. may your PPD be large, and your power bill small...:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.