Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

javtan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2007
I just bought a 24" imac when i open it up,it appears to have condensation in the screen. It disappears after a few hour and appears again. I just called applecare and they agreed to replace a new one. Will they check my old one first then decide whether to change for me?Will they replace me a refurbished unit? Thanks

Nordichund

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Oslo, Norway
I just bought a 24" imac when i open it up,it appears to have condensation in the screen. It disappears after a few hour and appears again. I just called applecare and they agreed to replace a new one. Will they check my old one first then decide whether to change for me?Will they replace me a refurbished unit? Thanks

If they agreed to replace it then they will replace it with a brand new machine. If you bought it from the Online Store then they will send you the same e-mails which you were sent when you made your original order informing you of the status of your new order.

I guess what they will do with the old one is examine it, see if they can fix it so they can sell it as a refurbished unit, or if not just send the parts for re-cycling.

How do I know you will get a brand new one? I'm now waiting for my second replacement 24" iMac. :eek:

gveames

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2008
Condensation

I had also purchased a new Imac 24" a couple of months ago and was very happy with it until I noticed the condensation. I took the unit into my local Apple shop and they removed the outside screen and found that the condensation was behind the inner glass. After then dealing with Apple Support, my MAc was replaced. I have had the new unit about two weeks now, and we have had rain for the last couple of days, attributing to 79% humidity at the moment. I haven't had any problems until today when low and behold, I now have more condensation in the new unit than I had before. This time it is covering nearly 1/3 of the screen. What worries me is that there appears to be wipe marks within the condensation. I hope that this unit is not one that has already had a previous problem. I will contact the Apple Coordinator that I have been dealing with so far, and see how I go.

slogan12

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
I experienced this too. However there's nothing wrong with the iMac.

Basically the screen isn't air tight. My desk is near a window and the temp has dropped therefore making the glass and imac colder. When the iMac has been running for a wee bit, the heat off the imac produces condensation on the cold glass.

It does go away after a short period of time - i.e. when the glass warms up.

I think it's pointless asking for a new machine as they'll do the same - it's basic science why this is happening.

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
I experienced this too. However there's nothing wrong with the iMac.

It's a design flaw. Nothing you can do except move the Mac to an area that minimizes the condensation, live with it or learn how to remove the outer glass and clean it (plenty of how-to's on youtube).

johto

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Finland
These kinda posts are good example, and makes me wonder why people run computers on a weird places. What kinda houses people live if there is "moisture" inside? Makes me wonder :rolleyes:

I can only think couple scenarios for condensation (moisture) to build up:

1) new imac opened from the box, and its being kept in too cold and not slowly heated back to room temperature before using.
2) Using your computer outside in a cold and rain
3) Using your computer in a rain forrest
4 House having no heating / or has moisture and has mould and rotten, maybe missing windows, doors, and a roof? :D

slogan12

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
It's a design flaw. Nothing you can do except move the Mac to an area that minimizes the condensation, live with it or learn how to remove the outer glass and clean it (plenty of how-to's on youtube).

I know there's nothing wrong with it. Did my post not explain this???

I do live with it and I'm aware how condensation works - again did my post not explain this?

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
Condensation and electronics? Yikes, that's asking for trouble :(

The reason it "goes away" is that it becomes a vapour (yes, yes, I know, basic science blah blah), and that vapour is now all around the internals.

The worst one can do with electronics is put them in an airtight container unless one uses silica gel or the like to get rid of the moisture. Otherwise you're not protecting the thing, but killing it.

Man, they really should whip their design department. "Industrial design" my butt.
/rant ;)

johto

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Finland
Why are you guys using imac inside sauna or a steam room ? :confused:
Get your house dry! There cannot be any more easier solution. Sheesh, like the imac is is generating "new" water molecules by it self... :rolleyes:

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
Why are you guys using imac inside sauna or a steam room ? :confused:
Get your house dry! There cannot be any more easier solution. Sheesh, like the imac is is generating "new" water molecules by it self... :rolleyes:

LOL :p

Seriously, though, besides the design flaw, it's because they place it in a _cold_ area, allowing the outer screen to be cold, thus making the water vapour condense on it.

slogan12

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
I'll be honest - I live in Scotland where there is a lot of mositure in the air, it's a damp climate. Oh and we have gas central heating to keep warm - it won't dry out the air - that's a dehumidifier and people don't use them daily.

The temperature fluctuates daily here from being warm, to cold and windy. From years of owning electronics gear, the climate hasn't harmed anything thus far. I have noticed that apple product owners are really really anal about the little things for example the tiny bit of condensation behind the glass of an imac, the temperature of macs, what's the best thing to clean my imac, the list goes on...relax people.

The product works as expected. Spend less time worrying about the intricacies of the imac and more time using it to be productive. These things are tested to various limits and I reckon my house is well within the extremities of these.

Anyway back to my previous post - pointless getting a new one as it'll happen again, such as life, such as science

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
I'll be honest - I live in Scotland where there is a lot of mositure in the air, it's a damp climate. Oh and we have gas central heating to keep warm - it won't dry out the air - that's a dehumidifier and people don't use them daily.

The temperature fluctuates daily here from being warm, to cold and windy. From years of owning electronics gear, the climate hasn't harmed anything thus far. I have noticed that apple product owners are really really anal about the little things for example the tiny bit of condensation behind the glass of an imac, the temperature of macs, what's the best thing to clean my imac, the list goes on...relax people.

The product works as expected. Spend less time worrying about the intricacies of the imac and more time using it to be productive. These things are tested to various limits and I reckon my house is well within the extremities of these.

Anyway back to my previous post - pointless getting a new one as it'll happen again, such as life, such as science

You should go sailing – even on a freshwater lake - or go camp and you'll notice what moisture can do to gear unless it's allowed to evoporate (as in allowing the gear to dry out completely. :p

P.S. I live in Denmark. It's not a whole lot drier around here.

slogan12

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
Indeed, although camping with a laptop isn't something I want to do. I thought that was the point of camping, to disconnect from the digital lifestyle and enjoy nature, lol

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
Indeed, although camping with a laptop isn't something I want to do. I thought that was the point of camping, to disconnect from the digital lifestyle and enjoy nature, lol

True, but the electronics doesn't really care whether the condensation comes from camping, sailing or from sitting on a desk :)

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
I know there's nothing wrong with it. Did my post not explain this???

I do live with it and I'm aware how condensation works - again did my post not explain this?

You missed my point. There IS something wrong with it, but it is a design flaw and nothing outside of changing the computers environment will prevent it.

gveames

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2008
Anal Apple owner

Wow, talk of being anal (which obviously I am one of those), I cannot believe some of the remarks I have seen here. A couple of people have mentioned that they have a condensation problem, which is obviously a DESIGN FLAW, as mentioned and some here have advised to accept this. That's funny because I also have two IBM computers in my house and we have over 100 IBMs at my work (in the same environment) and not one of these has a condensation problem. As mentioned before, this condensation is not between the two glass panels but inside the unit on the inner glass. Moisture and electronics do not mix, and I expect that basic science is in there somewhere as well. I have seen the corrosion caused by moisture inside clocks and instruments, so I am sure that I don't want this happening inside my computer. By the way, I don't live on the water, nor do I live in the snow or rainforest and I certainly don't take my 24" camping. Can someone tell us if any other sizes or models of Apple are having the same problem? Some constructive responses would be nice.
regards!

slogan12

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
:)

The reason that the IBM monitors have not had the same issue is because (i'm assuming they're regular CRT screens or glass fronted LCD) they are sealed units. The reason the imac isn't sealed is because it's a pc/monitor combination. They won't/can't seal the screen as access is required when fixing any hardware problems etc.

I recall having a mobile phone which had the same problem once - I left it in the car all night during winter and condensation built up underneath the glass fronted screen - It went away. Another example of a device that isn't sealed.

I'm not sure if the 20" owners have the same problem - maybe there are so many 24" threads as more people own this imac, who knows.

Oh and my condensation behind the glass panel hasn't reared it's ugly head again....yet.

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
I live in Miami where its 80 - 90 degrees with 80 percent humidity and I don't have any condensation in my screen.

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
I live in Miami where its 80 - 90 degrees with 80 percent humidity and I don't have any condensation in my screen.

Don't know what the common thread is to the problem. When I heard about people having this issue I thought I would likely see it too, since I live in coastal south carolina. Not had any issues with my iMac at all.

Must be high humidity with large temperature swings and heat/cool cycling of the Mac when it is left off overnight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.