Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

k8t

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
I have installed Leopard (erase and install) and have downloaded all the updates onto my MBP 2.16 MHz C2D. I was wondering if there is a way to force my MBP to connect to my D-Link DIR 655 router using g instead of n. I'm having the same problems as some other people where Airport shows full bars but I can't connect to any websites including my routers config page after having a working connection for some minutes.

When I set my router to g only my wireless connection works fine. However, I don't want to set it to g only since other people (Windows notebooks) and when I boot my MBP into Windows can connect using n without any problems.

This page http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107938 describes how to do it but I think it only works for Tiger since my connection rate still shows above 54 Mbps.

Thank you.

k8t

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
54 Mbps is G. N is 248 Mbps.

I know that. That's why I said when I tried the steps in the provided link the reported connection rate was above 54 Mbps. It fluctuated and sometimes reported 130 Mbps. The reason why I said it was above was to show that the steps provided in the link didn't work and is probably only for Tiger and/or Panther.

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
On one of my Macs of course
Aloha k8t,

How much file sharing are you doing? If you're only using the wireless network for internet connectivity, go ahead and just use 802.11G. Unless you have an unbelievable pipe, even 802.11B, at only 11Mbps, has a bigger pipe than what you normally get from an ISP. If you're doing a lot of file transfers, however, the bump up to 802.11N will be quite noticable.

My suggestion is to simply use 802.11G, which is roughly 3 times faster, optimally, than the "standard" 3Mbps download pipe offered by the average ISP.

HawaiiMacAddict

k8t

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
I transfer files from as small as a few MBs to some GBs between my MBP and desktop often. Sometimes I transfer work files that can get up to a few GBs. I rip DVDs on my MBP and transfer them to my desktop. I like streaming video (low to high resolution videos) from my desktop and use my MBP to display the video onto my HDTV. Pretty much I transfer quite a bit of data.

802.11g has real world transfer rates of around 18-20 Mbps. This may be fine if I'm the only person on the wireless network but having more than one person using the wireless who are also doing similar things as I am then the split speed is not fast enough.

I was hoping this holding control while selecting a wireless network to connect at alternate speeds would work in Leopard as it did in the previous OS. I wouldn't have thought features would be taken away.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
how come when i boot into windows vista on boot camp, it shows the transmit rate as 270mbs?
is vista more efficient in this way?
on os x, when no other cmputer is connected and im sitting enxt tot he router, i get a max of 130mbs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.