Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Dec 18, 2007, 04:50 PM   #1
TuckBodi
macrumors 6502

Ajax Contact Form with Captcha

I'm in a time crunch and need to come up with a contact us form for a web page and I'm looking for one using PHP, Ajax and Captcha (image verification). With the Ajax (& Javascript) part I want to be able to validate the required fields, post the info from the form without leaving the page, then clear the fields and post a message above everything if it was successful (or error out if not).

Sounds straightforward and I've found some out there which do some of these but not all. Anybody have any ideas of anything out there, preferably free/open source?

Thx
TuckBodi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 05:28 PM   #2
synchrophasotro
macrumors newbie

Well, seems this ajax contact form is exactly what you are looking for. Unfortunately it's not free - $10 annual subscription. Their contact page is a demonstration of the working contact form. Hope this was useful at least a little bit.
synchrophasotro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 06:11 PM   #3
angelwatt
Moderator emeritus

This wouldn't be overly hard to write, especially if you start from someone else's solution. I have a version that validates with JavaScript before submitting, uses textual captcha, but no AJAX (though runs with a single PHP file). I wouldn't want to use AJAX the way you're suggesting. Just seems unnecessary.

I prefer a textual captcha over an image one because it's more accessible to those with disabilities.
angelwatt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2007, 11:40 AM   #4
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelwatt View Post
This wouldn't be overly hard to write, especially if you start from someone else's solution. I have a version that validates with JavaScript before submitting, uses textual captcha, but no AJAX (though runs with a single PHP file). I wouldn't want to use AJAX the way you're suggesting. Just seems unnecessary.

I prefer a textual captcha over an image one because it's more accessible to those with disabilities.
Where exactly would you use AJAX then? I'm not looking to argue, but curious as I always thought that examples like these are the perfect places to use AJAX.
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2007, 02:30 PM   #5
angelwatt
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejadedmonkey View Post
Where exactly would you use AJAX then? I'm not looking to argue, but curious as I always thought that examples like these are the perfect places to use AJAX.
Off the top of my head some good AJAX I've seen is Google Suggest (auto completion that talks to a server database) and the way Yahoo Mail makes use of it. Google Reader also does a good job pulling in RSS updates in the background.

The example here isn't necessarily a bad place for AJAX, just not one I'd be comfortable with. It's kind of a usability concern. The user submits, then the form goes blank and the users goes AHHH! and perhaps doesn't see the "submitted successfully" message. Not seeing it in action though, this may not be a huge concern. I also hope that the form works with JavaScript disabled.
angelwatt is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development