Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macinfojunkie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
I'm thinking of changing the 2 proc. G5 Power Mac and upgrading to an Intel Mac Pro. I've read the reviews on Macworld etc. and the 8-way system does not seem to offer a significant advantage for most tasks over the 4way (All gains seem to be 10% or less I think). So.....

• What apps CAN take advantage of these extra procs today? (I mainly use Aperture, Final Cut and Logic - hobby only not pro basis).
  • Anyone got any views on whether 2 4-way systems might be a better investment? (Leaving the 2nd system to act as a slave node to process in the background)
  • What is the best graphics card option for the above? (I plan to drive 2 * 30'' at most).

Thanks.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
If you do a lot of video rendering, the 8-core should do it in nearly half the time of the 4-core (provided that you also have enough RAM).

If you wait until MW in January, you will most likely be able to get your 2.83GHz 8-Core for the same price as a 2.66 4-core today.

macinfojunkie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
If you do a lot of video rendering, the 8-core should do it in nearly half the time of the 4-core (provided that you also have enough RAM).

Do you mean as in exporting to H.264? that type of thing. I do output to 720p H.264 for viewing on Apple TV etc. But tend to leave that type of thing overnight. Nice if it happens faster, but it is the real time manipulation stuff that I am mainly interested in the performance difference.

Thanks for the input. all helps.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
I quote from the Apple Site :)
Or connect two 30-inch displays to either the ATI Radeon X1900 XT or the workstation-class NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500. Both feature two dual-link DVI ports

I think the Apple apps can take advantage of the 8 cores and I think that Adobe's software suite is on its way to this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.