Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jive

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
Scotland
Purple Rain is by far the most brutal drink I've ever had the pleasure of paying for in a bar. As far as I'm aware they only make them in one club in Aberdeen though - The Priory, the sleaziest club in the world. It's amazing.

Anyway, shot of sambuca and a shot of Blue Bols Vodka in a wine glass. Swirl it around and set on fire, pour said liquid into a tumbler (creating the "purple rain") and extinguish the purple flames by holding the bell part of the wine glass over the tumbler creating a vacuum. Once the flame has gone out, place the wine glass on the bar top down to keep in all the gas. Down the mixture in the tumbler. It burns. Get a straw and bend it under the wine glass and suck all the fumes from the burning sambuca and vodka. It burns a lot. Now, with the wine glass still upside down pour the dribble of sambuca/vodka on to the base of the wine glass, get a small straw and snort the dregs from the glass.

And now you're smashed from £2.50. Amazing.

Anyone else done this? What have you done?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I am a top shelf kind of girl. In other words, anything with bottom of the line booze is the worst.
The best, gosh maybe I'll start making a list. ;)

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
Purple Rain is by far the most brutal drink I've ever had the pleasure of paying for in a bar. As far as I'm aware they only make them in one club in Aberdeen though - The Priory, the sleaziest club in the world. It's amazing.

Anyway, shot of sambuca and a shot of Blle Bols Vodka in a wine glass. Swirl it around and set on fire, pour said liquid into a tumbler (creating the "purple rain") and extinguish the purple flames by holding the bell part of the wine glass over the tumbler creating a vacuum. Once the flame has gone out, place the wine glass on the bar top down to keep in all the gas. Down the mixture in the tumbler. It burns. Get a straw and bend it under the wine glass and suck all the fumes from the burning sambuca and vodka. It burns a lot. Now, with the wine glass still upside down pour the dribble of sambuca/vodka on to the base of the wine glass, get a small straw and snort the dregs from the glass.

Holy. Crap. Thats amazing.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
There's something about the simplicity and purity of an ice-cold margarita on a hot summer day. I've enjoyed lots of good ones, and even a few bad ones. The absolute best ones I make myself, but the best at a restaurant is a Chili's Top-Shelf; the worst ones are any of those God-awful pre-mix gallon buckets that you add tequila and freeze.

macidiot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002

Anyway, shot of sambuca and a shot of Blle Bols Vodka in a wine glass. Swirl it around and set on fire, pour said liquid into a tumbler (creating the "purple rain") and extinguish the purple flames by holding the bell part of the wine glass over the tumbler creating a vacuum. Once the flame has gone out, place the wine glass on the bar top down to keep in all the gas. Down the mixture in the tumbler. It burns. Get a straw and bend it under the wine glass and suck all the fumes from the burning sambuca and vodka. It burns a lot. Now, with the wine glass still upside down pour the dribble of sambuca/vodka on to the base of the wine glass, get a small straw and snort the dregs from the glass.

Anyone else done this? What have you done?

That drinking process is insane.

Best unusual drink I've had? A Singapore Sling. But good luck finding a well made one. I was on a thing for awhile where I would rate bars by their ability to even make one. Most don't know how.

fyi, a cocktail technically is a drink with more than 2-3 ingredients. Otherwise it's usually a highball. Gin and tonic, Vodka/cranberry, vodka/soda, all highballs.

As for me, I usually stick to simple stuff. Top shelf scotch or bourbon, simple vodka drinks, beer.

The worst drink I've had... so many I can't remember. But I did one time combine all the alcohol and mixers that was left over at the end of a night because we were still thirsty. It ended up looking and tasting like root beer. Drunken, home made equivalent of a Long Island Iced Tea I suppose. But it didn't taste bad, so hard to say it was the worst. Probably the worst for you though.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
The worst? I don't remember the name but it was a shot of everclear with a splash of grenadine tossed in to make me not realize what I was about to imbibe.

The Best? Hand Grenades at Tropical Isle in New Orleans.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
My bartender friend once made an "Ecto-cooler" for my cousin. When asked what's in it, he replied "... stuff". Yes, it was green.
There's also the Birthday Shot. Take a large shot glass (wide, not tall), pour 1 shot of Jack Daniel's into it. Take a small snifter, pour a shot of Sambuca into it. Place it on its side on top of the shot glass, and light it.
To drink: blow out the flame, pour the Sambuca into the Jack, inhale the aroma (I don't know why), then drink.

Crap like that is why I stick to beer, bourbon, and gin.

Okay, the odd Irish car bomb too...

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
lee: I've never heard of putting cherry juice in a Manhattan. I'll have to try it.

My favorite drink shifts around quite a bit. I usually like something for about a month and then go off on its taste... so I have sort of a cycle going. For a while I liked to have Manhattans, then I moved on to gin & tonics... lately I've been more into spiking drinks with coffee.

jive

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
Scotland
Ahh, I forgot the name of the other worst drink I've ever had. You take a shot of everything from the top shelf and put it in a pint glass and then add Red Bull to fill it to the top. Then you have to drink it in one go.

It's a coming of age tradition, supposedly the first drink you should ever have in a pub when you turn 18.

Anyone know what it's called?

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
lee: I've never heard of putting cherry juice in a Manhattan. I'll have to try it.

My favorite drink shifts around quite a bit. I usually like something for about a month and then go off on its taste... so I have sort of a cycle going. For a while I liked to have Manhattans, then I moved on to gin & tonics... lately I've been more into spiking drinks with coffee.

We sound like the same person. I usually have gin in the summer. In the winter Manhattans are the best- they warm your toes. As for the cherry juice- all you need is a tiny bit.

Butthead

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
I am a top shelf kind of girl. In other words, anything with bottom of the line booze is the worst.
The best, gosh maybe I'll start making a list. ;)

Hmm, my friend with whom I make wine by the barrel in his garage (top notch source of Central Calif or Sonoma Cty grapes), likes to insult me by calling me "mr top-shelf". Best 'buzz' per se would probably be the head rush from a Tete du Cuvee Champagne, like the usuals...Cristal, DP, Krug Clos des Mesnil, Taittinger Comtes de Champagne Blc. de Blc, or even the artsy Artist Collection. Not a fan of the Salon style of Blanc de Blanc pure Chardonnay based, though, even if it has become very trendy/hip among wine connoisseurs. For the real bling-bling crowds now, Krug has released a 100% Pinot Noir based Champagne from a single-vineyard source that only costs $3,000 a bottle :eek:.

http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Features/0,1197,4080,00.html

Combine natural carbonation from secondary fermentation in the bottle, top notch Champagne has very tiny, pinpoint bubbles that tickle/tease your palate with yumminess and allow *fast* absorption of the alcohol (works great for tup parties Jess ;0 ), which gives you a unique exhilarating light-headed buzz. Not recommended for New Years, as this will result in horniness and possible pregnancy ;).

Most crude drink (OP sounds damn sickening, might as well do that 'barsoap' toxic hash they have in England...or just be a huffer of petrol like the Aborigines of Australia have a drug problem with...not stop brain damage, much worse than the grey cells killed with each drink of alcohol),

I've done was on my 21st B-day when I was up at a mountain cabin, decided to go down to the local market, where they just happened to have a bottle of Bacardi 151 rum. 2-liter bottle of coke, mixed with 1/2 bottle rum that went down in less than an 1hour...wandered around under moonlight all by myself through the forest pine trees in the cold of the night, before luckily not falling into a steep dry stream-bed, or otherwise injuring myself, before stumbling back into the cabin 2hrs later only to puke my guts out into a metal waste paper basket...3 times over the next hour. Woke up with very sore stomach the next morning and made it to the toilet to puke what little liquids where still left in my stomach...what fun, wasn't pretty! (never again, hard-liquor and I do not mix well, as I found out a few times later, when smaller amounts $200 btls of Cognac and others had the same type of stomach exiting properties on me ;) ).

Nowadays, I stick to wine exclusively, 16-18% alc, late harvest Zinfandels which pack a potent enough kick for me.

ToddW

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2004
There is the bar back home that made an AMF "Adios Mother F----" It looked like windex and tasted like that blue winter fresh chewing gum. not a good drink IMHO. I stick to highballs, good liquor and good beer.

r1ch4rd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2005
Manchester UK
There's an amazing cocktail bar in Manchester called SocioRehab. They will make you anything you like, even if you just have a vague description.

It's very hard to find (there's not actually a sign on the building) but when you are inside it is just like sitting in someones living room. About £6 ($12) a drink so not too pricey either.

They have some fun ones that have glo-sticks and wham bars in them :). A good place to go on a date.

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
I don't normally drink very heavily, nor very often. I like a good London Dry gin, like Bombay Sapphire, although Beefeater is acceptable. Gin and tonic for the former, Tom Collins for the latter.

However, when it's "on", I will destroy your family and eat your kids. I'll lay out a line of Canadian Prairie Fires as far as the eye can see, and they will be the instrument of your doom.

A Prairie Fire is a shot of hard liquor and hot sauce. A Canadian Prairie fire is Jack and Tabasco Sauce in a 1:1 ratio. I'm a lumberjack, baby. After I'm done with you, I'm going to go chop down a great oak with my bare hands, and use to to fight a polar bear.

jamesi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2005
Davis CA
lets just say that after a couple of years in college ive decided to give up on cheap plastic handles of alcohol. my friends would always rave about the deal they found on a plastic handle of vodka for $12.99, so you would feel guilty if you didnt drink. haha, nothing like drinking to get drunk....

that said, the best ive prolly had was come cristal at this random party i was at in maryland. all the kids were sons and daughters of senators and congressmen, so their parents had the goods.

jive

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
Scotland
Actually, we made sizzzurp once - take a spoonful of cough medicine, hold it in your mouth, take a measure of whiskey and hold that in your mouth. Shake your head. Swallow.

Makes you feel quite inebriated.

It can also be done with Vodka (vizzzurp), Gin (gizzzurp) or Budwieser (buzzzurp).

It's all rather fantastic.

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Best? A nice tall glass of a decent beer.

Worst? A poorly mixed Jack and Coke made with fake Jack and store brand Cola. Yeah, not good.

Sorry, not really a fan of mixed drinks :p

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Worst - water!

Best - extra strong Long Island Iced-Tea (2 shots per spirit).

EDIT: Following the fake JD stuff.

A "friend" once made me a Jim Beam and diet Pepsi! :eek::(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.