Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 19, 2007, 01:27 PM   #1
nylock10
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Nano Dock

Hey,

I have an iPod nano dock I used for my first generation nano, I want to give it to my parents who will be getting a 3rd generation nano. Will it fit, or do I need to buy the expensive universal dock with the IR sensor?
nylock10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 01:37 PM   #2
SXR
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Netherlands
According to the pictures, I dont think it will fit. You should have gotten the Universal dock in the first place, its only 20 euro more and it will work with all iPods. Past present and future models. Maybe they will make such a nano dock for the third nano sometime , but best bet is to go with the universal dock.
__________________
2009 iMac, 2010 MacBook Pro, iPhone 3GS, iPad 2
My casual blog about iPhone and iOS, please check it out! Updated Regularly.
KeepThatApp.com - App reviews, news, rants, everything!
SXR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 01:40 PM   #3
Slip
macrumors 6502a
 
Slip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Wiltshire, England
Yeah the Universal docks are very good, just pop in the bundled Dock adapter and your new iPod will fit perfectly. The new ones also come with a remote which is always a bonus.
__________________
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.
SR MacBook|2GHz|4GB RAM|250GB HDD
Slip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 01:47 PM   #4
SXR
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip View Post
Yeah the Universal docks are very good, just pop in the bundled Dock adapter and your new iPod will fit perfectly. The new ones also come with a remote which is always a bonus.
Yes exactly , but the remote looks like kinda pointless. what does it do ? when you have your ipod plugged into the computer , you can change tracks and stuff and that will play trough the computer speakers? or what woul dbe really cool , would it activate Front row?
__________________
2009 iMac, 2010 MacBook Pro, iPhone 3GS, iPad 2
My casual blog about iPhone and iOS, please check it out! Updated Regularly.
KeepThatApp.com - App reviews, news, rants, everything!
SXR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 02:27 PM   #5
Slip
macrumors 6502a
 
Slip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Wiltshire, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXR View Post
Yes exactly , but the remote looks like kinda pointless. what does it do ? when you have your ipod plugged into the computer , you can change tracks and stuff and that will play trough the computer speakers? or what woul dbe really cool , would it activate Front row?
I think when you have external speakers plugged into the Dock you can control the actual iPod with the remote, much like using the remote with a Mac.
__________________
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.
SR MacBook|2GHz|4GB RAM|250GB HDD
Slip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 09:35 PM   #6
nylock10
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
The new docks are pretty neat though, but can you control the volume from the iPod or do you have to adjust the actual speakers you plugged in?

The nano dock locks the iPod's volume and the only way to change it is to use the speakers volume adjuster.
nylock10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2007, 11:30 AM   #7
SXR
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylock10 View Post
The new docks are pretty neat though, but can you control the volume from the iPod or do you have to adjust the actual speakers you plugged in?

The nano dock locks the iPod's volume and the only way to change it is to use the speakers volume adjuster.
im sure you can control the volume via the remote because ive seen it work. Just put your speakers on max, and adjust volume via remote.
__________________
2009 iMac, 2010 MacBook Pro, iPhone 3GS, iPad 2
My casual blog about iPhone and iOS, please check it out! Updated Regularly.
KeepThatApp.com - App reviews, news, rants, everything!
SXR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2007, 12:17 PM   #8
Slip
macrumors 6502a
 
Slip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Wiltshire, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXR View Post
im sure you can control the volume via the remote because ive seen it work. Just put your speakers on max, and adjust volume via remote.
Correct
__________________
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.
SR MacBook|2GHz|4GB RAM|250GB HDD
Slip is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dockless & Dock Dodger, apps showing to right of dock? RadicalProject OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 1 Nov 23, 2012 11:26 AM
ipod nano first gen recall (trade up for new nano)? RidgeRacerType4 iPod 4 Oct 7, 2012 12:09 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC