Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pandora

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2003
Zürich, Switzerland
Hi guys..my 17" Sony CRT died last week..and I'm now using a 15" CRT with my powermac..

so..I'm looking for a TFT..advises? I really don't know what to do...get a 3rd-party display..an Apple Studio/Cinema display? ..

rumors about new apple displays?

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
i think the display rumors run something like, they are going to be exactly the same minus the pretty halftone white grey stuff. supposedly it will be just a solid alluminum look on the inside of the clear plastic. i haven't heard any credible suggestions of any big new features. there may be an off-chance of USB 2, but i doubt it.

PaisanoMan

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2003
Hey, don't forget about CRTs, either. For less than $700, you can snag Sony's G520P, an excellent high-end 21" CRT (20" v.i.s.) with dual HD15 (VGA) inputs.

Might be worth considering if you intend to share the two displays (which you can't do easily with an Apple monitor, unfortunately) or if you want to get a little more bang for your buck.

The downside, of course, is that it's huge.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by mrjamin
http://www.go-l.com/store/hardware/grand_canyon.htm

check that out!

seriously though, i have a 17" samsung SyncMaster which looks fantastic. if you only need a small(ish) display then i'd recommend one. They do go a little funny if you crank the refresh rate up to the 70s but 60Hz looks great anyway - significantly better than my old iiyama CRT @ 1280x1024@85hz

The displays are beautiful, look very futuristic. Problem mrjamin, they are out of my price range. The 23" Cinema Display is just about right. Does anyone know when the updated Cinema Displays be available? Will the price change?

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
Originally posted by wdlove
The displays are beautiful, look very futuristic. Problem mrjamin, they are out of my price range. The 23" Cinema Display is just about right. Does anyone know when the updated Cinema Displays be available? Will the price change?

I hope they won't be available soon! I just bought my 17", but whether new displays come out or not, I have fallen in love with this 17", far more after buying it than before.

It is incredible.

Anyway, as pertains to the cosmetic changes...I personally don't think that aluminum displays will look any better than these. In fact, I think an aluminum display with a G5 is just too much metal.

The current offering with the G5 is a nice balance.

Oh, and by the way, 500th post! I'm off to find an avatar, I suppose. Hopefully, I'll be able to find a cool one.

illumin8

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2003
East Coast, US
Originally posted by yamabushi
Do you think that Apple might increase the resolution on the cinema displays?
I don't think so because the 23" Cinema Display is already the perfect resolution for editing and previewing 1080i HDTV content. Video Production is Apple's target market for this display.

If a 30" display is released, it will be interesting to see what the resolution is. If it's still the same 1920x1200 resolution the pixels will be awfully large and will probably look wrong, but some people have bad eyesight and like to have larger pixels.

occam

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2003
Prolly same resolution.

Originally posted by yamabushi
Do you think that Apple might increase the resolution on the cinema displays?

Another reason Apple is likely to keep a similar resolution is that the 23" is at about the max resolution that the PB15's ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 can handle for any outboard monitor, and that's a pretty strong selling point for a portable workstation. You can see Apple playing up the pair comboed all over the apple.com web site.

Other reasons may include cost, desirability of 30", consistency of dot pitch across LCD line (including portables), and availability of desired quality.

intendedaccel

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Brooklyn Park, MN
I just went to order a 20" LCD tonight and it showed a ship date of early november. Does this mean that we might see new LCD's before then and that's why the date is pushed out?

I held off my order in anticipation because of this! :D

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Does anyone knows what the maximum resolution is for a new graphic card @ 100Hz in a G5?

I ask this because of the 30 inch monitor rumors. The G5 will probably already support the 30 inch.

MacBoyX

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2003
East Coast, USA
Originally posted by intendedaccel
I just went to order a 20" LCD tonight and it showed a ship date of early november. Does this mean that we might see new LCD's before then and that's why the date is pushed out?

I held off my order in anticipation because of this! :D

Did you order a DVI to ADC adapter or something along with it? I just placed an order for a 20" and a 23" and it's same day shipping.

I am really in a bind here... my company is letting me order a G5 2.0 Dualie this week and I was told I could get a 23" ACD if i wanted...however the 23" won't fit on my work station it's 1/2" too wide.

I know I should wait and see since they said the case may be thinner...my question is...

Do you really think these are going to be released? (I remember a rumor a few months back that never came about)
Will it be an immediate release thing? Or Announced in Nov, ship in Jan?
Do you think the cases will be different and thinner?
Do you think the prices will drop?

I want to wait for the new ones if they come out quick, or if they get smaller. I don't much worry abt the price since I am not paying and was cleared for the big boy and will probably get the 20".

So confused. I don't wanna wait for them to not change the form factor just add a 30 and drop rhe 17.

frustrated!

macboyX

occam

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2003
I'm betting on new form factor (common sense).

Originally posted by MacBoyX

however the 23" won't fit on my work station it's 1/2" too wide.

I know I should wait and see since they said the case may be thinner...my question is...

Do you really think these are going to be released?

I'm betting they will since the 1. G5 has so much power and 2. Apple is beginning to cater to the pro and power-user markets (and beyond) again. Being able to put large flat screens tightly together just makes a huge amount of sense. Also, the aluminum powerbook form factor (screen form factor) seems like a match made in heaven for new screens.

Finally, check out the product age for the current 23" at

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//

and you'll see that it appears a replacement should be imminent.

I cancelled my PB15 + 23" order so I could order them together (and get AppleCare coverage for the screen as well). I'd love to have my PB15 now, but I'd rather wait, get a new 23" with matching aesthetic, see what else comes out (though I doubt my PB15 will be able to drive a 30", but wouldn't that be nice!-), and to get the applecare on the combo (you have to buy them at the same time for AppleCare to cover both).

Good luck!

MacFool

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2003
I've been thinking about a 20ish inch LCD for my PMG4 myself (I've got an old 17" CRT now).
The Apple Cinema Display 20" is the usual suspect, but I don't like the stories I hear of people with several annoying dead pixels on their Apple displays.
I found an online merchant that sells Samsung LCD's with a zero dead pixel policy, and I think I might be set on the Samsung SyncMaster 213T. 21.3" (although not widescreen), 1600x1200, better brightness and contrast ratio than the Apple.
With a no dead pixel guarantee, all I need now is couple more paychecks to feel comfortable with the $1200+ price tag.

For the online merchant go to http://www.bcd2000.com and search for "syncmaster 213t"

And here's a review: http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/samsung213t/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.