Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Dec 19, 2007, 07:54 PM   #1
rzaroch36
macrumors newbie

Imac g5 crashing problems

Hello new poster here.

Had my second gen power pc imac g5 for two years and it worked great...until the other week.

It started when I had a problem with my airport. One day i started it up and it told me my airport was not there, like it vanished or something.

Then I went to restart my computer and guess what-it couldnt! got about 30 seconds into boot up and then crashed.

After a few more failed attempts it finally started again and-my airport worked fine.

It went back and forth like this for about a week, not starting then booting up fine with no airport, then crashing, then booting up fine with airport. Now, it just won't boot up at all.

It seems to be a hardware issue. I don't know if I should send it in or figure it out myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers.

imac g5 power pc
2 ghz
1g ram
OS X 10.4.1
rzaroch36 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2007, 07:59 AM   #2
geissap
macrumors member

Does this have an iSight?
geissap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2007, 01:10 PM   #3
rzaroch36
macrumors newbie

no isight.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 01:11 PM   #4
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Any reason you're still back on 10.4.1, mate?
Old Dec 21, 2007, 11:19 PM   #5
rzaroch36
macrumors newbie

actually i might have an upgrade from 10.4.1 but that was just a guess.

I don't think the problem is software though, just curious if anybody has had a similar problem or knows about a similar problem.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 05:22 AM   #6
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Is anything being picked up in Console's crash log(s)?
Old Dec 24, 2007, 01:50 PM   #7
rzaroch36
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad jew View Post
Is anything being picked up in Console's crash log(s)?
whats that?
Old Dec 24, 2007, 02:18 PM   #8
Cave Man
macrumors 604

Location: Neander Valley, Germany; just outside of Duesseldorf
Have you booted from your installer CD/DVD and run Disk Utility? You should probably download the 10.4.11 full updater and install it.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 04:04 AM   #9
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Console is an app in the Utilities folder. It keeps logs of what the system is doing and a few of these monitor crashes. Sometimes information from these can help find the culprit for the crashing. Feel free to post the crash log(s) here if you don't understand them and I'm sure someone will be able to help.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 02:17 PM   #10
rzaroch36
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad jew View Post
Console is an app in the Utilities folder. It keeps logs of what the system is doing and a few of these monitor crashes. Sometimes information from these can help find the culprit for the crashing. Feel free to post the crash log(s) here if you don't understand them and I'm sure someone will be able to help.
The problem is that My computer won't even boot up enough-it crashes while booting so I can't perform any functions.

I will try the boot dvd and post again.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 02:26 PM   #11
timestamp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzaroch36 View Post
The problem is that My computer won't even boot up enough-it crashes while booting so I can't perform any functions.

I will try the boot dvd and post again.
You probably have a problem like mine. It wouldn't boot. Try to boot into safe boot: Hold shift on boot. I am guessing it will boot up just fine. For me it was the logic board and the power supply. The power supply is covered: http://www.apple.com/au/support/imac...pairextension/

The logic board is not. You can make a case however that the logic board should also be covered as it is probably bad caps, which was a problem with the first iMac g5: http://www.apple.com/support/imac/re...ensionprogram/

Gives us your EMC number and the first 5 characters of your serial number, I will be able to help you in making a case if your iMac is covered.
timestamp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 02:30 PM   #12
termina3
macrumors 65816

My father's computer would randomly shut down after ~30min of usage. Power supply had gone bad--took it into the Apple store, explained the situation, they put in a new supply and it's been good since then.

Obviously not identical, but perhaps a more egregious form?
Old Dec 26, 2007, 02:34 PM   #13
timestamp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by termina3 View Post
My father's computer would randomly shut down after ~30min of usage. Power supply had gone bad--took it into the Apple store, explained the situation, they put in a new supply and it's been good since then.

Obviously not identical, but perhaps a more egregious form?
Most likely it is both, it is possible for the bad power supply to cause bad caps. Which means the logic board should be covered as well.

If you are adventurous OP, have a look inside (it is easy to open, just don't take anything out) and look at the capacitors. See if any look like the bulging ones here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

If they do, you will need a new logic board. If your EMC is 2056, I can help you make sure it gets repaired completely.
timestamp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 01:03 PM   #14
rzaroch36
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by timestamp View Post
You probably have a problem like mine. It wouldn't boot. Try to boot into safe boot: Hold shift on boot. I am guessing it will boot up just fine. For me it was the logic board and the power supply. The power supply is covered: http://www.apple.com/au/support/imac...pairextension/

The logic board is not. You can make a case however that the logic board should also be covered as it is probably bad caps, which was a problem with the first iMac g5: http://www.apple.com/support/imac/re...ensionprogram/

Gives us your EMC number and the first 5 characters of your serial number, I will be able to help you in making a case if your iMac is covered.

Well I tried the boot into safe mode and ran the hardware diagnostic check.

Everything passed successfully.

It still won't boot all the way, so I figured I had to reinstall OSX. I put my the first disc in and the installation went great until it asked me to restart my computer-and of course, the computer would NOT restart.

So if it isn't a hardware problem, and everything was fine during reinstall, what is it?

My comp just crashes during the grey apple screen every time.

One thing i did notice-the fan seems to running faster than normal.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs