Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taylor C

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
This is already being discussed in the news thread, but I'll restate that I'll be so incredibly happy if this turns out to be true.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Lovely! I hated how the Dock was practically unusable without being able to simply drag Applications folder into the dock for easy access. Stacks as 10.5.0-10.5.1 simply wasn't good enough for me.

Malcster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 26, 2005
Bristol, UK
Lovely! I hated how the Dock was practically unusable without being able to simply drag Applications folder into the dock for easy access. Stacks as 10.5.0-10.5.1 simply wasn't good enough for me.

completely agree, this might actually get me to use them.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

the list option was in the resources for 10.5.0 but wasn't wired up. Seems like something they always planned to do but didn't get finished

splashtech

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2007
Wooooohooo! :D

According to the source, “you can display it as a stack or an icon so you know what you’re looking at. ... Grid view looks bit better as well.”
Thank god! That annoying mess of pixels which is the "stack" icon was one of my main complaints. I cant wait for this!

And I'm glad they've tidied up the grid view too... the little pointy bit on the bottom looks a bit off at the moment. Looking at the screenshot, it looks way better.

Just for the record, let me restate: wooooohooooo.

Brianstorm91

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
Cambridge, UK
I like how we're celebrating about something which we should have had months ago.
It's like thanking someone for a chocolate bar which they stole from you 3 months ago :)

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
Thank God!
That was my biggest complaint about Leopard.

Now if they would just put back the audio function for movie previews in the columns view...

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
The bug wasn't reported to Apple until the end of November, given that they've been very quick at fixing it.

Bug??

No, a bug would be if they said it was there and it didn't work. This was a feature they decided to take out of the OS. That's not a bug. It was a bad choice. Totally different.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
No, a bug would be if they said it was there and it didn't work. This was a feature they decided to take out of the OS. That's not a bug. It was a bad choice. Totally different.

Regardless its an issue that you would submit via the bug reporter, which wasn't done until the end of November. Otherwise Apple could fairly assume it wasn't a major issue for people ;).

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
Awesome. Best update to Leopard yet. I like the ideas of stacks in concept, but I hate the fact that the folders I had in the dock had to be stacks.. doesn't work well for an applications of documents folder where there are a lot of files.

(an interim solution is to make an alias folder and put that in the dock)

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
Well, good!

The stacks feature might actually be useful for those of us with <sarcasm>more than 6 files in a folder</sarcasm>... visions of a clean desktop dancing in my head!

neoserver

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
GREAT! I agree with others, stacks does not work with the applications folder or the documents folder very well. I can't wait to turn those back into lists once again. In my opinion, the only place a stack works well is the Downloads folder.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
T H A N K G O D.

My two biggest Leopard pet peaves have been squashed! :D

I don't think I've eagerly anticipated a point update this much ever...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.