Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I want a bluetooth mouse to go with my new 15" alubook. Apple won't do...I need two buttons. And I would strongly prefer it not to be microsoft. To my knowledge that leaves logitech and belkin. Both seem really good, but neither lists os x in the system requirements. The belkin said it would work in the press release...but I can't find it on their page for the mouse. Anyone know if either of these will (or eventually will) work?

pepeleuepe

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2002
Los Angeles, California
Just wondering why so many people don't even consider Microsoft's bluetooth mouse. Personally I have been using a wired Intellimouse Explorer, 5-button mouse, for about a year now. I have never felt a mouse that feels better in my hand than this one, and the BT mouse is the exact same design. Just because Microsoft makes Windows doesn't mean that their mice should be ignored by Mac users. Mine has worked flawlessly and feels great.

This might not be the reason you're ignoring the MS mouse, in which case you should also ignore this message. But I haven't heard anything about the MS BT mouse not working perfectly with OS X. It seems to fit you're criteria, except that it says Microsoft on it.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
The new Logitech MX 900.

It is the same thing as the MX 700, just over BlueTooth, not InfaRed. And the MX 700 is the same thing as the MX 500 without a wire.

So all the mice are the same, but the MX 900 is the nicest one. It has BlueTooth. :)

Good Luck.

segastyle

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2002
Bethesda, MD
left-handed

i just got a new powerbook with the built in bluetooth. i would love to have a bluetooth wirless mouse to use with it. i want a multibutton mouse, but microsoft's, logitech's and belkin's are all made for right hands. is there some reason why no one will make either a left-handed bluetooth mouse or non-specific hand mouse?

segastyle

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2002
Bethesda, MD
definitely need a multibutton -- as it just so happens apple's laptops have right-handed centric keyboards (the control and alt keys are only on the left) which makes it difficult just to control-click.

eventually i guess something will come out from someone...

PaisanoMan

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2003
Personally, I dislike Microsoft's and Logitech's offerings because they're huge -- I would like a Bluetooth mouse I can carry with my PowerBook.

Likewise, I can't find any info on Belkin's mouse. Is it any smaller? Or am I stuck with Apple's (acceptable, but overpriced) mouse?

segastyle

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2002
Bethesda, MD
yeah pretty ugly.... the thing is i don't need a "left-handed" mouse, just a non-right-handed mouse.

currently i use this one by kensington. give me a bluetooth version of that and i'd be happy. heck microsoft has a new one which is perfect, and wireless, but not bluetooth. i was hoping not to have something sticking out of my laptop -- it defeats the whole purpose.

maybe i can just become a right-handed mouse clicker.... :rolleyes:

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
Originally posted by Freg3000
The new Logitech MX 900.

It is the same thing as the MX 700, just over BlueTooth, not InfaRed. And the MX 700 is the same thing as the MX 500 without a wire.

So all the mice are the same, but the MX 900 is the nicest one. It has BlueTooth. :)

Good Luck.

I've heard a lot of good things about wireless mice from Logitech. I've used, I believe, the MX 700 before, and I really liked it.

I'm one of those people who still likes to say that one button is enough, but Logitech made me change my mind and see how several buttons could be several times as awesome.

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I don't want a microsoft mouse cause I dislike m$ and I don't want to support them...

What I want to know if if compatability will be an issue for the belkin/logitech. I know w/ usb mice they still work even if they aren't officially supported. Is it the same thing with bluetooth?

robotrenegade

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2002
Greenville,SC
I have the studio mouse from logtec and the wireless mouse from apple. I think the apple mouse is better because it leaves an open usb. I also have the wireless keyboard.

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
Why does everyone like bluetooth? Whats wrong with the RF technology for mice and keyboards?

new user

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2003
wireless bluetooth

my guess for bluetooth over wireless is the extra piece of equipment/transmitter. otherwise, i would like an answer to the last question too.

segastyle

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2002
Bethesda, MD
bluetooth over rf

i have a laptop with built in bluetooh, so i'd rather not have to plug somthing into the usb port everything i want to use a wireless mouse. if i'm going to do that, i might as well use a wired mouse (which i do now).

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
i guess it would just be a nice thing to have it bluetooth. i personally would want it internal if it was in a laptop (BT or RF). desktop i wouldn't care as much.

aphexist

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2003
Just to clarify, Bluetooth supports multiple devices from a single transmitter. You may be fine with a RF wireless mouse, but if you have 4 wireless devices, you may not want all the separate cords/transmitters stringing out from your computer onto your work space. With BT transmitter being built into many new systems, this is very appealing. RF also uses commonly trafficked radio frequencies, so any devices are subject to interferance and listening.

Bluetooth is a wire replacement protocol, nothing more. It has better range than radio and it supports secured connections.

It is a low bandwidth protocol, so it is NOT suitable for any significant data transfer.

All that said, I am very pleased with my MS Bluetooth mouse and keyboard.

Alexander

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2003
Palo Alto, CA
I went looking for a Microsoft Bluetooth mouse the other day. Stopped by two different Fry's. Turns out there are two ways to get it: mouse by itself, or in a mouse/keyboard combo package. EVERY SINGLE ONE was a return. Both stores, both package styles. A good 20-30 boxes.

Hmm...

Anyone know when the Logitech MX900 will be available?

PaisanoMan

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2003
Re: Bluetooth Mouse...What are my options?

Originally posted by Phatpat
I want a bluetooth mouse to go with my new 15" alubook. Apple won't do...I need two buttons. ...

I don't know about the other offerings, but Apple's has a power switch. This makes it very handy for travel with your PowerBook; I can turn the thing off while I carry it or when I just don't need it. It also has a relatively slim form factor, which is the primary reason I didn't buy Microsoft's mouse (I couldn't fit it in my bag without an uncomfortable bulge).

I recommend the Apple mouse, unless you absolutely need two buttons (this is general advice for anyone considering similar options). It's got great range and outstanding battery life [so far].

It's not quite as precise as a wired mouse, but it's close; I think that's a symptom that all wireless mice suffer from to some degree.

Prabz

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2003
Meri PHILLY meri jaan!
Just heard that Jaguar would be having hot key support for multi-button mice. So a five button mouse is finally gonna be usable:D

...And having it bluetooth makes the deal even better!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.