Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imgna2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2007
I have never had an ipod before and i didn't know if the touch only uses itunes or other music things like limewire. (i don't use limewire btw)

Another question i had was do you have to pay for the internet even if you are paying for an internet service at your house?

Slip

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Wiltshire, England
Um, Im not sure about other software like iTunes but really, iTunes is all that *most* people would want, it works seamlessly with the iPod.
Btw, LimeWire's a peer-to-peer sharing program so you can share files from computers around the world and so you can use it to share music tracks which I think is many peoples main use for it but you can also use it to share all othe types of files. Much like Napster in it's early days.
And for the internet; the Touch uses Wi-Fi so if you have wireless internet at home you can log onto that with your iPod touch = internet on the crapper.
Hope that helps

CopyChief

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2007
If you are inclined to do so, you can download tracks from Limewire and if they are in the right format (mp3, AAC, etc.) you can import them into iTunes and then put them on your iPod.

Yes, the only official way to get music, videos and other content onto your iPod touch is via iTunes. iTunes is the official conduit and warehouse for all of your media. But it can come from any source, although the legality of it all is up to you to monitor.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
I have never had an ipod before and i didn't know if the touch only uses itunes or other music things like limewire. (i don't use limewire btw)

Another question i had was do you have to pay for the internet even if you are paying for an internet service at your house?

I'm assuming you are asking if you have to use the iTunes Music Store to get music for your touch. No, you can get music from any source as long as it's non-DRM protected MP3, AAC, or WAV formatted. You need to use the iTunes application itself to sync your music onto your iPod (of any sort), regardless of where the music came from; it will also convert (non-DRM protected) music to a format your iPod can play.

There's a few other applications out there that let you sync your music onto an iPod, but unless you're a die-hard Linux user there's no good reason to use them.

As for paying for the internet, as mentioned, as long as you have a WiFi router/access point/or even just adapter in your computer you can share your home internet connection to your touch free of charge. I'm assuming that you saw the small print on Apple's site about "fees may apply" under the internet features. This is merely indicating that you have to get an internet connection to the touch - it doesn't include any service. You have to pay a company to serve your internet connection to your house, which you can then share with your computer and touch. Alternatively, there are plans you can sign up for that will give you WiFi access at public places. For example, some stores have wireless access for their customers, which you may or may not have to pay for. Some cell carriers (T-Mobile comes to mind) offer packages that let you use their public WiFi points if you're a member.

On a related note, I remember reading that Apple/Starbucks were setting up a partnership where all iPhones would automatically join Starbucks wireless networks for free when they're detected. I don't know if Starbucks normally has free for anyone WiFi, but if not does this also apply to the touch? Would be handy, obviously, since there are Starbucks EVERYWHERE and they all have WiFi, which is required to update your mail, etc. on a touch unlike an iPhone...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.