Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GRuizMD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
Hi just switched to Mac. need a good Mac and PC compatible DVD burner... If FW and USB equipped, better. What is your recommendation?

Searched forum no clear answer

Thanks\\\\

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
I've always liked Plextor burners and I presently have an external unit with both FW400 and USB connections. It's a bit noisy when it spins up, but it's fast and it works well.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I'm wondering too...

Hi, I was wondering if anybody else has any other opinions on this subject? Thanks a lot!

darthmullet

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2006
I have an LG USB 2.0 "super-multi" that has light-scribe, DVD+/-RW DL and DVD-RAM support (GSA-E10L). Works great on my MacBook Pro; in fact, I've never burned a coaster with it yet. I think most external mainstream drives will work. Definitely the LG GSA series does.

ZachsMacDaddy

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2007
Maryland
I have an LG USB 2.0 "super-multi" that has light-scribe, DVD+/-RW DL and DVD-RAM support (GSA-E10L). Works great on my MacBook Pro; in fact, I've never burned a coaster with it yet. I think most external mainstream drives will work. Definitely the LG GSA series does.

How long have you been using this drive with success? Also, how has your luck been with the Lightscribe feature, if used at all?

I'm thinking of getting this drive to use with my Mac Mini (should arrive soon). I am also looking at the Sony externals like the DRX-820U, but the LG has some nice features for the price.

darthmullet

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2006
How long have you been using this drive with success? Also, how has your luck been with the Lightscribe feature, if used at all?

About six months, I've burned about 100 DVDs (almost exclusively Verbatim DVD+R, so using high quality media might be one reason for the success).

I haven't used the Lightscribe feature yet though.

The reason I originally got it was mostly that it provided the most features for the price range. I imagine the Sony with similar specs would perform equally as well. I think using good quality media is probably more important than the difference between burners, considering they are good quality burners.

ZachsMacDaddy

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2007
Maryland
Thanks.

Guess I may have to just pull the trigger and get one (the LG). If it works out maybe I'll get a 2nd one for the basement to use with my Macbook (only has a combo drive).

I like the look of the Sony, but the LG seems to have some better reviews and Lightscribe, which may get used occasionally. Function over form!

boobooq88

macrumors regular
May 12, 2007
Does the new External Super drive accessory for the Macbook Air work with all Macs as well? Just might be something to think about

9Charms

macrumors regular
May 19, 2006
Vancouver, BC
For what it's worth, most LG dvd-writers you get from cheap PC places work INTERNALLY in Macs without special drivers. Which leads me to believe you could possibly put one of them in a cheapy external USB enclosure and make your own External DVD-Writer solution. However, this is just my theory. You can check http://www.xlr8yourmac.com for compatibility reports.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
Ironically, you could go and buy almost any external DVD writer and it would work in any modern Mac...

..except the external DVD writer that Apple themselves make, which works in only 2 of the 15 standard spec Mac's currently available.

Doug

CP1091

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2007
I've always liked Plextor burners and I presently have an external unit with both FW400 and USB connections. It's a bit noisy when it spins up, but it's fast and it works well.

I have one too. Great stuff when everything boils down.

hunter3740

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
FYI: R6TR06 by AGPtek is NOT compatible

The "Toshiba TS-L632" or R6TR06 by AGPtek does NOT work with the PowerBook G4 (Running Mac OS 10.4); just FYI.

The drive appears in the system profiler as a USB to IDE device, but putting any disk in the drive doesn't mount.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The best is to buy a GOOD external 5.25" case and the burner that you prefer. There are some rare cases of this size that also have FW800, eSATA, but those interfaces should not be worth it, given that opticals are so slow (I had one such FW800 case that stopped working).

Any drive should work. What happens it that for many you need Windows if you have to update the firmware.

If you want to spend as little as possible, anything that is not Super Multi (DVD-RAM too) with LightScribe is not worth it. This used to be LG's turf, but now several other brands offer drives with such specs.

Going up (double), one could perhaps take a look at the Super Multi, LightScribe, BD-ROM, HD DVD ROM drive from LG (at least to watch hi def movies in Windows).

Doubling up again would buy you an LG Super Multi Blu with LightScribe that can burn BD-RE.

But I wouldn't buy a ready-made external that doesn't state it's Mac-compatible. The case is the issue, not the drive. There are many flakey cases.

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2008
Just about any firewire 5.25" enclosure will work - I popped the old ATA superdrive that shipped with my mac pro into a Que! Fire enclosure that's about 8 years old and it worked without a hitch.

quantum003

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2009
Superposition

Really? I have a nice Plextor DVD-RW-DL burner and I haven't yet been able to get it to play with any of my Macs. It's FW400 USB2.0, sounds like yours.

Son of a gun... I just tried yet again and still nothing. Any chance you have an original install CD with Mac drivers? :D

hunter3740

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
examples (are sometimes better than guidelines)

Here is an LG DVD Burner (Model GP08NU10) from Newegg.com and comes with an 8GB USB stick (ends 7/31) for $79.

Skip paying shipping and forget the 8GB stick: the LG GP08NU10 is also only $65 from buy.com:
http://www.buy.com/prod/210607378.html

Either site (or site of your choice), this one example (i.e. the LG GP08NU10) is surely Mac OS compatible, as the Mac OS logo is on the box (and comes with Toast Titanium v9, a Mac OS software bundle).

As far as guidlines, you'll run into trouble, as the post before me did (i.e. not all Firewire optical drive enclosures will be seen by Mac, just like *most* enclosures and drives *should* be seen by Mac; but, in reality, it's risky business, and I believe people are looking for concrete examples, yes?).

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Any Samsung with it's own power adapter will work 100%. Most of the USB powered work but I have seen one that didn't work too well.

MxMan

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2010
Mac Compatible DVD Burner

I'm using Leopard on my iMac G5 and I just bought a Samsung SE-S204. It's an external DVD burner that supports all formats... (+R, -R, RW, DL {Dual Layer} and Lightscribe). I got it off of eBay for a fraction of it's cost, albeit it was used, but in excellent condition with the plastic wrap still on it. In any case, I plugged it in and it was instantly recognized. I used Toast to burn my first disc with no problem and Lightscribed the other side as well. The 2nd disc I used Finder and it worked with no problems as well. I used Disc Cover 2 (which comes with Roxio Toast) to Lightscribe my own personal picture on both discs. So far, so good. I would recommend Samsungs.

joneve

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2010
"Internal drives are just junk"

I don't know why that has to be, but it seems to be the case. I've taken my MacBook Pro into the Mac Store twice for dvd/cd drive repair, and each time the internal drive was just replaced - no inspection, no cleaning; it wasn't worth it.

Now that my Apple Care plan has expired, and my internal drive is on the blink again, I'm looking for an external drive, thanks mostly to reading that recommended here. I've found this one at the link below, and amazon is great about taking things back if they don't work as advertised, and this one has free shipping to you and back to them if you need to return it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P5C9S0/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The same item is for sale online at the Mac Store U.S.

I thought I'd try cleaning the drive first, as that was suggested to me by a salesman at the Mac Store, but the drive won't accept the cleaner disc!

Last edited:

hunter3740

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
another option

slim and usb powered and cheaper (at $32)--and comes with Nero 9 (for the Windows peeps!); the Samsung SE-S084 (Mac Compatible) is up to SE-S084F (i.e. my previous post for for the SE-S084C, but as it goes with technology, prices do come down for newer stuff!):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151231

only issue would be for the older Macbook Pro that have one usb port on either side (as this needs both USB plugged in for burning power)--tight fit, but you can do it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.