Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Dec 21, 2007, 10:49 PM   #1
cicimelia
macrumors newbie

Why won't my Powerbook let me install anything new?

I'm running OS 10.4.10 and a couple of months ago, I had trouble with both Safari and DivX on the same day (I ended up installing Firefox and deleting DivX). Since then, I haven't been able to install anything - no updates, no new programs, not even a font.

When I try installing, I get past 'preparing' to 'running installer script', but after a quick second, I'm told that the installation failed and I should try again later.

I've phoned my repair guy a few times, but he hasn't returned my calls...I obviously need a new repair guy, but that's another story.

What on earth happened to my computer and how can I fix it?

Thanks in advance for your help!
~Cicimelia~
cicimelia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2007, 11:08 PM   #2
Naimfan
macrumors 68030

Have you restarted and repaired permissions? if not, start there.

I don't know what might have happened, but restarting and repairing permissions fixes a lot of issues.

Here are a couple of Apple sites that might help:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...en/mh1726.html

http://www.apple.com/support/tiger/install/

Last edited by Naimfan; Dec 21, 2007 at 11:20 PM.
Naimfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 10:36 AM   #3
cicimelia
macrumors newbie

More info on Permissions in Tiger please

Thank you for the reply, but the pages you directed me to didn't really help any as the first thing they suggest is updating software to fix the problem. I couldn't find anything about permissions, even when I searched.

Any help with permissions in Tiger would be appreciated.

Thanks!
~Cicimelia~
cicimelia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 10:41 AM   #4
Brendon Bauer
macrumors 6502

Have you tried repairing permissions, or are you just unsure how? If you're unsure how, do this:

Go into your Utilities folder, which is inside of your Applications folder. (Or hit Command+Shift+U to while in the finder to jump directly there) In Utilities, open Disk Utility. Select your Macintosh HD (Or whatever you've named it) from the list to the left. Now go the First Aid tab (might be called the repair tab, not sure). Once there, click "Repair Permissions" and let that run. If it comes up with anything, do it a second time or until no more errors come up. Then try restarting your computer and see if that did it. You could also run a Verify Disk to make sure the hard drive is ok.

Good luck!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X