Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cicimelia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2007
I'm running OS 10.4.10 and a couple of months ago, I had trouble with both Safari and DivX on the same day (I ended up installing Firefox and deleting DivX). Since then, I haven't been able to install anything - no updates, no new programs, not even a font.

When I try installing, I get past 'preparing' to 'running installer script', but after a quick second, I'm told that the installation failed and I should try again later.

I've phoned my repair guy a few times, but he hasn't returned my calls...I obviously need a new repair guy, but that's another story.

What on earth happened to my computer and how can I fix it?

Thanks in advance for your help!
~Cicimelia~

cicimelia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2007
More info on Permissions in Tiger please

Thank you for the reply, but the pages you directed me to didn't really help any as the first thing they suggest is updating software to fix the problem. I couldn't find anything about permissions, even when I searched.

Any help with permissions in Tiger would be appreciated.

Thanks!
~Cicimelia~

Brendon Bauer

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2007
Good 'ol USofA
Have you tried repairing permissions, or are you just unsure how? If you're unsure how, do this:

Go into your Utilities folder, which is inside of your Applications folder. (Or hit Command+Shift+U to while in the finder to jump directly there) In Utilities, open Disk Utility. Select your Macintosh HD (Or whatever you've named it) from the list to the left. Now go the First Aid tab (might be called the repair tab, not sure). Once there, click "Repair Permissions" and let that run. If it comes up with anything, do it a second time or until no more errors come up. Then try restarting your computer and see if that did it. You could also run a Verify Disk to make sure the hard drive is ok.

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.