Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
User NO B&W writes in to tell us (and sadden us in so doing) that Steve Jobs'
technical wonderboy and sidekick Avie Tevanian
is leaving Apple. Principle designer and engineer of the Mach operating system upon which
Mac OS X is based, Tevanian began his connection to Jobs at NeXT back in 1988. Let us hope
that his departure does not harbinge a period of lesser innovation by Apple. Check out the
NY Post article here.

L

Let's Have Some Aphex Aci

um.

isn't it a bit hasty to say "leaves" when the article in question says the guy MAY be leaving?

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Mach

An incredibly robust kernel, Mach. A thing of beauty.

anim.gif

blakespot

N

No One In Particular

Good Riddance to all NeXTIES

I want to use a Mac for its OS as well as its hardware integration and simplicity.

I don't want to use a hodge podge of NeXT/Windoze/Linux in a package loosely referred to as a "Mac" OS.

You know they were about ready to kill off AppleScript COMPLETELY before someone interceded from the original Mac camp?

Now look at it, its all fancied up with network communication protocols and XML parsing. Apple is even going to offer a RAD tool to builld real apps using AppleScript as the "programming" language.

If he jumps or was pushed who cares, lets get someone in the top spot who knows "Macintosh" and can guide Mac OS X into maturity as a Mac OS and not a bridge for Windoze/UNIX geeks who want to use the Macintosh hardware.

A

Anonymous Coward

Cred Gap

Umm...do we trust a NY Post gossip columnist for this sort of info? Not exactly the first place I'd look for reliable buzz on the computer industry.

A

Argent

I agree, the article doesn't clearly state that Avie is leaving Apple. It seems to be quite speculatory...

At any rate, IMO, the NY Post is something of a sensationalist rag and the term "newspaper" should only be applied to it loosely.

B

Brent Turbo

See ya!

Maybe they'll get someone in there who knows how to make a computer that's fast AND affordable. And maybe someone who will benchmark a Mac against a PC using something other than Photoshop.

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2001
boston
Re: See ya!

Originally posted by Brent Turbo
Maybe they'll get someone in there who knows how to make a computer that's fast AND affordable. And maybe someone who will benchmark a Mac against a PC using something other than Photoshop.

I think the affordability comes from market share. Winblows owns that, so of course they have more manufacturers. Winblows does the license dance too which promotes more boxes running their crud OS. Apple's processors are plenty fast and getting faster. Slapping a 2Ghz on an Intel isn't going to make it a faster processor than a top of the line G4 processor. It simply doesn't work that way. Benchmark all you want. Use whatever you'd like. The choice is always yours to make. I just feel for the millions of PC users using a PC for nothing but game, email, surf, and being jammed into the latest version of Word. Mac people love to do more with their machines, because they can do so much. And the Mac somehow contains a soul. And it shows through in so many little ways as to make it a joy to work with.

I would always gladly pay a bit more to get a quality box hosting a great & usable OS. It's the Kia vs. Mercedes thing I suppose. As long as I can save up a few more dollars, I would rather Apple have it than a XP purveyor. Just my opinion.

snowman

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2001
Re: Good Riddance to all NeXTIES

Now look at it, its all fancied up with network communication protocols and XML parsing. Apple is even going to offer a RAD tool to builld real apps using AppleScript as the "programming" language.

I think that they should "Cocoanize" Hypercard instead and make it a native color version at the same time. Hypertalk is much easier to script in than AppleScript. And make an OpenGL XCMD for it at the same time.

N

NO B&W

hmmm

Well I don't know if losing Avie is a good or bad thing, or true even. But it looked like a big story and it had been a week since the last story was upped. I like this site and wanted to stir it up a bit... The comments are mostly informative...

Peace through superior firepower ;)

Paolo

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2001
The Moon
Steve Jobs is the key man to apple. If you see an article saying he's leaving then you should be worried. But Tevanian while he is a valuable asset to Apple. I"m sure steve jobs will be able to continue running the show without him!

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Re: Good Riddance to all NeXTites...

If it weren't for the "NeXTites" then Apple would be through. As I've said time and again, even a beta copy of Windows 95 I was running 6 month before the official release is significantly more advanced than MacOS 9.2, as far as what makes a modern operating system (GUI aside). MacOS 9.2 has more in commong with Windows 3.1 from a kernel perspective than anything else.

Apple needed a modern OS. They did well to go the NeXT route instead of proprietary BeOS. NeXT is built on Unix, and that's a proven standard. On top of it all you get NeXT's award winning dev environment for FREE, which has been evolved for 13 years now.

I don't see the possibility for a sound argument that pre-OS X Apple OS technology was anything but ancient and weak (from a kernel perspective, GUI aside).

blakespot

snowman

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2001
Re: Re: Good Riddance to all NeXTites...

Originally posted by blakespot
I don't see the possibility for a sound argument that pre-OS X Apple OS technology was anything but ancient and weak (from a kernel perspective, GUI aside).
blakespot [/B]

Eh, not back in -84, then it was state of the art :)

Pants

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2001
Am I the only one that thinks Seybold has been completely underwhelming, and with no Paris Expo to look forward to January seems a long way off.....

Avie leaving ......... Irrespective of recession excuses I d like an excuse toget out my wallet - and NOT for a 15 quid 'free' upgrade. :(

snowman

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2001
Underwhelming? Steve the man himself will appear on stage, I think that's pretty neat, no new hard thingies though, only soft presents.

Originally posted by Pants
Am I the only one that thinks Seybold has been completely underwhelming, and with no Paris Expo to look forward to January seems a long way off.....

Avie leaving ......... Irrespective of recession excuses I d like an excuse toget out my wallet - and NOT for a 15 quid 'free' upgrade. :(

B

Bull

Re:re:See Ya!

gandalf55,

Kia vs. Mercedes?

Since when a computer with two Ultra SCSI 160 18G 15000RPM HDDs, two 1.2Ghz CPUs, 1Gig DDR memory, 3Dlabs GVX1 Pro graphics board, and ultra cool solid aluminium tower case became a Kia, when compared to a machine with two 800mhz, 256megs of SDRAM (does Apple use PC-133 yet?), an ATA drive, and a game graphic card? You call it a Mercedes, because it costs 400 bucks more? Oh, because of the "Super Drive," maybe?

When was the last time you used a PC from a decent manufacturer (something other than Compaq, Gateway, HP etc.)?

>I just feel for the millions of PC users using a PC for >nothing but game, email, surf, and being jammed into the >latest version of Word. Mac people love to do more with >their machines, because they can do so much.

Could you please post a list of what Mac Users can do while PC counterparts cannot?

>And the Mac somehow contains a soul. And it shows through >in so many little ways as to make it a joy to work with.

Find a lover, instead of finding a "soul" from your computer.

Peace,

A Mac Lover/ user forced to use a PC also

serpicolugnut

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2001
Atlanta, GA
Not true...

According to Mac OS Rumors, this rumor is entirely false.

macrumors.com should change the title of the the report to "Avie RUMORED to be leaving Apple". There has been no word from Avie or Apple, and until there is, it's just not true.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Re: Not true...

Originally posted by serpicolugnut
According to Mac OS Rumors, this rumor is entirely false.

macrumors.com should change the title of the the report to "Avie RUMORED to be leaving Apple". There has been no word from Avie or Apple, and until there is, it's just not true.

I have about as much faith in MOSR right now as I do in the notion that a big fat man in a red costume will land on my roof this December and bring me a Ferrari.

These days, I almost read MOSR to figure out what *isn't* going to happen....if they predict something, chances are it'll be the other way around.

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Eh, not back in -84, then it was state of the art 

Snowman, true. But the problem is that the OS, from a kernel perspective, has not evolved far from its state in 1984. It is amazing that this kernel was ridden for so long.

blakespot

snowman

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2001
Re: Re:re:See Ya!

I have nothing against PeeCees, if only one could use them with all those pathetic hard to use dumb s**t OS's. I've used PeeCees, but I've never done anything more advanced than browse the net or use Word and s**t. I don't care about those specs. as long as I cannot use them. I have a friend with a PeeCee, and the can't get many games and stuff to work, error after error after error...

Originally posted by Bull
gandalf55,
Kia vs. Mercedes?
Since when a computer with two Ultra SCSI 160 18G 15000RPM HDDs, two 1.2Ghz CPUs, 1Gig DDR memory, 3Dlabs GVX1 Pro graphics board, and ultra cool solid aluminium tower case became a Kia, when compared to a machine with two 800mhz, 256megs of SDRAM (does Apple use PC-133 yet?), an ATA drive, and a game graphic card? You call it a Mercedes, because it costs 400 bucks more? Oh, because of the "Super Drive," maybe?
When was the last time you used a PC from a decent manufacturer (something other than Compaq, Gateway, HP etc.)?
>I just feel for the millions of PC users using a PC for >nothing but game, email, surf, and being jammed into the >latest version of Word. Mac people love to do more with >their machines, because they can do so much.
Could you please post a list of what Mac Users can do while PC counterparts cannot?
A Mac Lover/ user forced to use a PC also

J

jode

Avie Returns. Then Leaves. Then returns...

This is nonsense. Avie leaves Apple EVERY DAY. How else can he go home? The man has a life, you know. Sure, he's left Apple, but so has Steve Jobs. Granted, most OSX developers never leave Apple, but they may get to go home soon.

I wonder if Gil Amelio will ever play for the Chicago Bulls?

ezotyrik

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2001
Seybold was insipid

I agree with the previous poster that Seybold was quite dull. Is that why they added a Mercedes Benz display?

Last year I was excited by the new products featuring XML workflows and other inventive features. This year the most excitement I got was discovering that you could get an OSX 10.1 upgrade CD free from the Apple display. No "Think Different" posters tho.

Anyway, I suspect the terrorists were partly to blame. It had to be more difficult to get people and presenters to show up given the airline issues.

-Brian

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
I'm sorry but *IF* Avie is leaving... From what I've been hearing it will not be as bad as some might think.... Avie might have been a really good coder in his day but if you think he had done a lick of coding in the last few years you're in for quite a let down...

Remember, just because you can write good code doesn't mean you can run a development team.

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.