Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Dec 23, 2007, 01:06 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Make a photomosaic

Category: Tips and How To's
Link: Make a photomosaic
Description:: The other day I came across a tutorial on how to make a photomosaic using Leopard's cool new photomosaic screensaver. While the title sounded intriguing, unfortunately what it eventually boiled down to was to take a screenshot of the mosaic when it resolves. Pretty lame. The resolution on such a screen grab would not be high-res enough to use for printing, and you'd have hardly any control over the final result. Assuming you actually liked the person you would be making the mosaic for, this could only end in disappointment.

To that end, I have a relatively cheap way to create a high quality photomosaic, suitable for framing and gift giving (in fact, the most expensive part will be the frame). From my experience, this is an especially popular gift amongst moms, and in fact I am making one this year for my sister-in-law, who I drew in our family Christmas grab bag

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug

Last edited by mkrishnan; Dec 23, 2007 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Fixed some text encoding issues
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Dec 23, 2007, 01:59 PM   #2
zap2
macrumors 604

Cool....I'm trying it...just for fun, we'll see how it turns out soon(ish)
Old Dec 23, 2007, 05:11 PM   #3
RichP
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap2 View Post
Cool....I'm trying it...just for fun, we'll see how it turns out soon(ish)
same here...my first attempt it failed.. you really need a LARGE library of images to give it enough diversity.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 07:31 PM   #4
t0mat0
macrumors 601

Thought

I'm just remembering the iTunes Music CD Core Video demo, and wondering - could you code something to do a dynamic version of a mosaic?, then render an output when required? I'd love to start getting into coding, or see what's involved in such prjects, but don't know where to start wrt this sort of project.
t0mat0 is offline   0
Old Dec 23, 2007, 10:07 PM   #5
Nadav
macrumors regular

I dont understand why it takes this application so long to do just one photo, when i could have all my photos do this quicker in the screensaver.
Nadav is offline   0
Old Dec 24, 2007, 12:19 AM   #6
shadowfax
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to shadowfax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadav View Post
I dont understand why it takes this application so long to do just one photo, when i could have all my photos do this quicker in the screensaver.
I would imagine that it processes every image to get an idea of the average color and maybe even some notion of shape. In any case, I am sure it is processing every single image in your library, which I would imagine could take some time. I would hope that the thing would store data about your library in some intermediate form so that it only has to process it initially once.

Anyway, that is just my guess.
shadowfax is offline   0
Old Dec 26, 2007, 09:37 AM   #7
Nadav
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
I would imagine that it processes every image to get an idea of the average color and maybe even some notion of shape. In any case, I am sure it is processing every single image in your library, which I would imagine could take some time. I would hope that the thing would store data about your library in some intermediate form so that it only has to process it initially once.

Anyway, that is just my guess.
But why can the screensaver do it that much faster and look good. This failed both times I tried it.
Nadav is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion