Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ElvisThePelvis

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
I have been playing around with creating a perfect LCARS replica for my iPod Touch. I am nowhere near where I want to be, but here is my efforts so far:

2131157949_b20ef91abf.jpg

2131935742_b950667e8e.jpg

2131935762_c45f5046ed.jpg

Right now the theme, which can be downloaded a part of the LCARS for iPod Touch mini-tutorial, requires that you run my apps exactly and in the exact order. I am working to fix that. I also want more variation among the themes. I started this thread to see if anyone is working on something similar and want to collaborate a bit. I really would like to make the second and third screens more visually different than the first screen of applications.

This theme was built on the efforts of an iPhone theme by Kevin Rohrman (kevin@themonsterjam.com).

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Very cool theme - as a big Trekkie I've always wanted a real LCARS interface on (insert touchscreen device here) but have never found a good one. I would like to be able to tweak the theme though, and was wondering if you could tell me the name of the font you used (or better yet, email it to me) ;) so that I could begin the work of moving stuff around to fit my usage style. ... Please?

ElvisThePelvis

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
Very cool theme - as a big Trekkie I've always wanted a real LCARS interface on (insert touchscreen device here) but have never found a good one. I would like to be able to tweak the theme though, and was wondering if you could tell me the name of the font you used (or better yet, email it to me) ;) so that I could begin the work of moving stuff around to fit my usage style. ... Please?

SWISS 911 Ultra Compressed BT (TrueType)

http://lcarscom.net/faq.htm

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
Just Got this theme on My ipod touch it is freakin awsome :D now we just need some sounds heh ;)

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
Great theme, but trouble with the weather icon

Thanks for this, it’s brilliant. It’s easy to modify the icon files to create your own for applications you use, so it was surprisingly easy and flexible. Not nearly as difficult as I thought it was.

Modifying and creating your own icons to match the apps you use is easy and the results are just as professional.

Strangely enough though my Weather.app icon refuses to change. I’ve tried everything I can think of, creating an entirely new icon, moving the weather icon around, renaming the .png files, nothing.

Is anyone else aware of this or have any suggestions? I have now got all my 3 screeens looking great apart from my first screen with the weather icon sticking out like a sore thumb.

Apparently this may have been discussed on the forums already, with a possible fix, although I cannot find it anywhere.

Thanks.

Qianlong

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2004
Does anyone know in what folder the ICARSUnLockScreen.png file should go?

It's not showing up when put in the default folder (-> Mobilbe - Lib - Summerboard - Themes - Icars)

Thanx

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
Does anyone know in what folder the ICARSUnLockScreen.png file should go?

It's not showing up when put in the default folder (-> Mobilbe - Lib - Summerboard - Themes - Icars)

Thanx
That question I can answer. You place the file here: /Library/Wallpaper, not in the Mobile/Library/Summerboard/Themes/Icars folder. If you back up a few levels in that Themes/Icars directory you will see the Wallpaper folder. Paste it here. There are a few Wallpaper folders, I've noticed, but this one is the one you want.

Hope that helps!

jack black

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2008
startrek lcars

hi does hi im a big startrek fan does any one know if you can just buy the phone with the lcars without paying for text messaging minets call waiting etc onotherwords can you buy the phone for startrek or do you have to pay for everything else to jack black

copydeskcat

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
That question I can answer. You place the file here: /Library/Wallpaper, not in the Mobile/Library/Summerboard/Themes/Icars folder. If you back up a few levels in that Themes/Icars directory you will see the Wallpaper folder. Paste it here. There are a few Wallpaper folders, I've noticed, but this one is the one you want.

Hope that helps!

I'm new to all this and I don't have my iPod touch yet (getting it in the USA on 23 July)...

Does my iPod touch need to be Jalbroken to install this LCARS theme?

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
I'm new to all this and I don't have my iPod touch yet (getting it in the USA on 23 July)...

Does my iPod touch need to be Jalbroken to install this LCARS theme?

As far as I know, yes you do, I'm not aware of any other way.

Basically, jailbreaking it with Ziphone installs SSH as part of the process so you can use Transmit or other SSH client to connect to it like you would any FTP client. This lets you browse the directory structure of the iPod Touch (iPhone) like you would your Mac with Finder or Windows with Windows Explorer. You then just drag and drop, or copy and paste, the files over that make up the theme as described in the link in the OP.

Hope this helps.

macmunch

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
hi,

Can anybody explain me where i get the iCars thing and how to install ?

I have a Hacked iPhone But dont know to use ssh or such things

Thx

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.