Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RaceJunkie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
North Carolina
Is there a way to add a 2nd monitor to a new iMac? I have the 2.4 - 24" iMac and would like to add a 19" monitor to check web site compatibility.

Thanks

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Absolutely. Depending on whether your external monitor has a VGA or DVI input you'll need a miniDVI to VGA or miniDVI to DVI adapter, and then a standard VGA or DVI cable.

RaceJunkie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
North Carolina
Absolutely. Depending on whether your external monitor has a VGA or DVI input you'll need a miniDVI to VGA or miniDVI to DVI adapter, and then a standard VGA or DVI cable.

It was hooked to my pc to the built in video. How do i determine what I need? It has the pins on the end of the plug so that would be a vga plug correct?

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
I strongly disagree with Eidorian in a particular situation (one that I'm in)

If your monitor has multiple inputs - and you wish to use another HD source with it (PS3, 360 or what not) then I would recommend VGA - because adapters that go from HDMI to DVI are cheap and plenty. But if you use the DVI from your imac - you will need to switch plugs - or buy an expensive switch.

So the VGA is coming from my iMac, and when I switch to the DVI input - it's my PS3. Works nicely.

Honestly - up to 1920 x 1200 resolution - I have yet to see any difference - and believe me, I've looked.

But if you only plan on using one source - or your monitor only has one input - then obviously hit up DVI.

P.S. Edorian - I wouldn't disagree had you not switched Tars on me. :)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I strongly disagree with Eidorian in a particular situation (one that I'm in)

If your monitor has multiple inputs - and you wish to use another HD source with it (PS3, 360 or what not) then I would recommend VGA - because adapters that go from HDMI to DVI are cheap and plenty. But if you use the DVI from your imac - you will need to switch plugs - or buy an expensive switch.

So the VGA is coming from my iMac, and when I switch to the DVI input - it's my PS3. Works nicely.

Honestly - up to 1920 x 1200 resolution - I have yet to see any difference - and believe me, I've looked.

But if you only plan on using one source - or your monitor only has one input - then obviously hit up DVI.
It's not fun when you have to deal with clock timing and phase with VGA.

I have preference for my computer over any other device. Text is noticeably fuzzy over VGA as well.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
How far are you running? Because between 6 foot cables - I can't find any difference. Seriously. And I've had others look too.

I could imagine with either a noisy AD converter / cable - or a very long run - it would be a factor.

I just mention my view - as I like getting twice the usage out of my 2nd monitor - but everyone has different wants and needs.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
How far are you running? Because between 6 foot cables - I can't find any difference. Seriously. And I've had others look too.

I could imagine with either a noisy AD converter / cable - or a very long run - it would be a factor.

I just mention my view - as I like getting twice the usage out of my 2nd monitor - but everyone has different wants and needs.
Generic 6 foot DVI and VGA cables galore.

I had so many 20 amp power and VGA cables that I had to ship a box full off to salvage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.