Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrlandoTragic

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
I get a message saying "You must restart your computer." (hold down the power key, blah blah).

I've researched a little bit, and apparently its indicative of a kernel panic.

I cannot get it to go past this point. HELP ME (please, I'm stressing out over here!!). It's not booting from CD either.... what's going on?

(This happened for the first time after I installed the latest updates [for 10.4])
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Have you put in 3rd party RAM? At what point does it kernel panic? And just to be sure, you've tried to restart and boot from the installer DVD and it kernel panics again?

OrlandoTragic

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
Have you put in 3rd party RAM? At what point does it kernel panic? And just to be sure, you've tried to restart and boot from the installer DVD and it kernel panics again?

No RAM or anything has been changed, its all OEM.
And it happens like this...

I get the Apple logo, the sound, the pinwheel, then it goes to a black screen and then I get the (presumably kernel panic) message.

And ya, I've tried booting directly from the installer DVD...

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
My first guess is a hard drive issue. I remember a few days ago a guy had the exact same problem with his iBook at startup. You can't boot through your CD? Are you holding down "C" when you boot? Try that and tell me how it goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.