Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apachie2k

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2006
was NYC...now MIAMI
i was cleaning out my basement and found my old graphite iMac G3 -- i figured i should update it from OS9 to something more modern, i picked Tiger because i was pretty sure it was supported (not like leopard)... anyways everything was going fine until it prompted me to update my firmware (i hate myself for not checking).. it then froze. I restarted the computer and never seems to startup again, it chimes and then [goes to sleep i think, the green light in the front is pulsing]. Anyways i have tried to reset PRAM, doesn't work... i have tried to boot from original boot cd, tiger cd... (note: i am using original keyboard and mouse - for the PRAM)

Thanks for any help, i know it's some OLD technology...

Ratpack1961

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2006
I had this exact problem happen to me when trying to install Panther. Essentially the firmware had to be updated before the install to prevent this from happening. The only way I was able to fix the problem was to take it to an Apple authorized repair place, where they then fixed the firmware problem (not sure how, I think they must have used an external monitor since the imac g3 monitor remains black when this happens) and then were able to successfully install the new OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.