Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LiveForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
I have just discovered the cover flow option and that you can get the album artwork (well most of them) automatically downloaded. This has instantly made itunes more attractive to me as seeing the album cover is like having my real CD's in front of me.

To me this is the greatest advance in digital music, it sounds simple but seeing dull text names just isn't the same as seeing pictures of the albums. Iv'e had itunes for 4 years or so and have only dabbeld with it but discovering cover flow is a revelation.

However, compliation albums and greatest hits seem to cause all sorts of bother. The title "Greatest Hits" is quite popular for albums and when I imported Take That GH, Bangles GH and one other they all seem to come under the one cover.

Iv'e managed to frig it by selcting all the tracks, going to info and making things common (as I read here).

All is well and good if you select sort by album (you only get one album cover) but selecting the sort by artist column you get multiple copies of the same compilation album cover as each artist is sorted alphabetically.

Is there any way to have an artist view a la cover flow so you would see a picture of ABBA then Bee Gees etc etc?

Cover flow is great but it doesn't handle compilation albums very well.

In fact how are people handling compilation albums (like Now That's what I call music etc, not artist greatest hits)- I am considering tediously recompiling all the artists under one artist album but it could take some time.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
You need to select all the tracks together, and then in the 'Get Info' window, go to the drop down list in the bottom left labelled 'Compilation' and choose 'Yes'.

statikcat

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2007
You can also group them together with the same album artist tag. I use "various" on most comps and it groups them.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
You can download a dashboard widget from Apple called "amazon cover art" you type the album into the widget it looks for it in Amazon.com's library (which is far more vast than iTunes) and then you highlight all the album tracks in iTunes return to the dashboard and click on "set as album artwork in iTunes" it works great for a lot of those albums that iTunes doesn't carry yet, as well as all those greatest hits albums that iTunes sometimes gets confused about.

SLC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.