Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

disco stu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
If a brand new iPod classic is connected to a PC, and then weeks later connected to a Mac, what are the consequences?

What if the brand new iPod is connected to a Powerbook G4, and then weeks later connected to a new iMac 24"?

Would there just be issues with the content on the ipod, or with the setup/firmware, etc.?

I received my holiday order including the new iPod and iMac, but am waiting to get some software for the iMac installed. I am chomping at the bit waiting to play with the new iPod (new toys, sweet) (I've been using a 1st generation iPod until now), but don't want to compromise the integrity of the iPod over a couple of weeks.

krose0307

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2007
Northern Virginia
If you format your ipod and load music/video from a PC, you will have to reformat it when you plug it into your iMac, which will remove all of the stuff from the PC and sync to the mac.

If you connect to a powerbook and then to a mac it will just ask you if you would like to sync with the new library on the imac. If you do that it will replace everything from the powerbook with the content on your imac.

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
A PC formatted iPod will work fine on both a mac and PC. I formatted my iPod mini on a work PC so I could have it working on both formats. If it has been set up on a mac you're stuck with that format, if you connect to a windows machine it'll ask you if you want to re-format it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.