Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Plutoniq

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2003
Has anyone created or is currentley developing an "Virtual Audio Driver" for OS X. This is an emulated audio driver that lets you stream audio internally from one application to another.

VAC (Virtual Audio Cable) is a solution that has been available on Windows for years...... but I've never found something similiar that runs on Mac.

Anything?

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
ReWire does exactly that, it was originally developed by Propellorheads for Reason I think, but is now in it's v2 form and exists in Logic, Cubase, ProTools and some others, I use it to bring Reason back into the ProTools mixer.

It also allows transfer of MIDI and controller data, so I can use the sequencer functions and arrangers in PT or Logic, and control the audio directly.

ReWire allows mono, stereo or multiple streams.

Plutoniq

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2003
Yeah, I know about rewire and directconnect.....but applications have to have built-in support for these standards in order to use them, many Apps don't.......like Bias Peak & Ableton Live. I'm talking about a standalone Virtaul Audio driver that allows you to route the audio output of any program into the input of another..... Anyways, that is what VAC on the PC did. Where you select audio inputs/outputs in apps, you would see this virtual device listed alongide your hardware soundcards.

p'z

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
OMS used to have an IAC buss that allowed communication, but not streamed audio, you're talking about system level apps, I'm not sure there is anything like that out there, at least, I haven't seen or heard of an app that accomplishes what you describe.

More developers are signing up to the ReWire standard, I wouldn't be surprised to see a stand alone router from Propellorheads at some point, check out their webpage and drop them an email.

http://www.propellerheads.se/

Otherwise try Version Tracker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.