Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Dec 26, 2007, 11:18 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Protestors target London Apple Store

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Protestors target London Apple Store
Description:: Shouting shlogans and a box of fireworks for good measure

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Dec 27, 2007, 02:04 AM   #2
irun5k
macrumors 6502

Anti-capitalism protestors, eh? These folks are all nut jobs. I suppose I could care less if THEY want to go live in some feces infested mud hut, wearing a loin cloth, smoking pot, and tending to their organic gardens. As long as they do it on property they legally own, who cares. However, when they try to tell me that I should live like they do- that is that part that makes me go arghhh.
irun5k is offline   0
Old Dec 27, 2007, 02:12 AM   #3
David G.
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
However, about 30 minutes later someone from the group apparently returned and left a box of rocket-style fireworks at the open front door after lighting the fuses.

Quote:
No one was apparently injured in the attack
Thank God.
David G. is offline   0
Old Dec 27, 2007, 03:43 AM   #4
Loge
macrumors 68000

Why can't they just go and wreck a McDonalds like they usually do?
Loge is offline   0
Old Dec 27, 2007, 04:12 AM   #5
Killyp
macrumors 68040

Why do I expect that these are the kind of people who can't afford anything from there

I always imagine that the people who can't afford things tend to attack them...
Killyp is offline   0
Old Dec 27, 2007, 08:59 AM   #6
zombitronic
macrumors 65816

These sound like the same people who complain about the state of the economy, or cry about economic doomsday. These guys seem like they want the economic end to come, for no other reason than to say "we told you so."

Yes, yes. Your pessimism will save us all. Now go take a bath. A soap bath.
zombitronic is offline   0
Old Dec 27, 2007, 04:46 PM   #7
MacsRgr8
macrumors 604

I hate those people.

Anyone stuffed one of those fireworks up one of their... ?
Old Dec 27, 2007, 04:49 PM   #8
Dont Hurt Me
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsRgr8 View Post
I hate those people.

Anyone stuffed one of those fireworks up one of their... ?
Sounds like some Islamic extremist. BushCo says they hate freedom.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 04:51 PM   #9
MacsRgr8
macrumors 604

I bet at least one of them has an iPod...
Old Dec 27, 2007, 04:52 PM   #10
FleurDuMal
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killyp View Post
Why do I expect that these are the kind of people who can't afford anything from there

I always imagine that the people who can't afford things tend to attack them...
Oh, right...in that case if they're only poor people we have no obligation to listen to them.

There are far better reasons to discredit them other than the fact that they might not be able to afford an iPhone. Unless we're happy with sounding like a bunch of sneering spoilt brats of course.
Fujifilm F31fd (it's love)
My flickr
FleurDuMal is offline   0
Old Dec 27, 2007, 05:03 PM   #11
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsRgr8 View Post
I bet at least one of them has an iPod...
Good call, wonder if the papers will show photos and see if any of them are listening to any mp3 player for that matter.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 05:09 PM   #12
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by irun5k View Post
Anti-capitalism protestors, eh? These folks are all nut jobs. I suppose I could care less if THEY want to go live in some feces infested mud hut, wearing a loin cloth, smoking pot, and tending to their organic gardens. As long as they do it on property they legally own, who cares. However, when they try to tell me that I should live like they do- that is that part that makes me go arghhh.
Please don't demonize the use of marijuana.It has medical properties and is used as such in several states.

As far as the protestors..shrug..

They have a right to protest. But not a right to be violent.
Peace is offline   0
Old Dec 30, 2007, 02:13 AM   #13
solvs
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killyp View Post
Actually, ironically, I'll bet they can. At least that's what it's like here. Lots of spoiled kids pretending to be anarchists, until they want Daddy to pay for something. They can afford to pretend to be like that. It's also a good way to get attention.

Go volunteer at a hospital or something kids!
Old Dec 31, 2007, 03:49 AM   #14
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by solvs View Post
Actually, ironically, I'll bet they can. At least that's what it's like here. Lots of spoiled kids pretending to be anarchists, until they want Daddy to pay for something. They can afford to pretend to be like that. It's also a good way to get attention.

Go volunteer at a hospital or something kids!
You hit the nail on the head there my friend. It's usually the kids of rich spoiled parents that start trouble like this. It's the only way the can rebel against their parents. But when they need something from them they will go back and beg daddy for his credit card.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 04:09 PM   #15
BlakTornado

I know a guy from a different forum I visit who was there. He was telling me about it.

Firstly, one of the guys attacking was wearing Nike trainers (Hypocrite much? As far as I am aware, Nike is MUCH worse than Apple in terms of capitalism) and they didn't make they bought the fireworks which were probably made by kids in China... so they're as bad as the people shopping at the Apple store are they? And they're helping fuel Capitalism while being oh so against it.

Really, they're a bunch of hypocrites. Like with the iPod messages, I bet they didn't make the paper they used themselves and nor did they make the ink, so what's the point?

They need to stop being such idiots and learn to realize that this is a capitalist world now. No-one can change that. No-one is forcing third world people to get a job making these products for us and no-one with the power is stopping companies from exploiting these people either. So in the long run, we're all as bad as each other.
BlakTornado is offline   0
Old Jan 2, 2008, 08:03 PM   #16
pamon
macrumors 6502

protest DRM or copyright issues, protesting an apple store gets 5 seconds of media coverage and then it's gone
pamon is offline   0
Old Jan 7, 2008, 07:34 AM   #17
cannon38
macrumors newbie

Hi Blak Tornado,

You've unfortunately muddled up your facts there. You mention "one of the guys attacking" - which lot? - the carol singers or the idiots who let of some fireworks?

The fireworks were completely unrelated to the "protesters". There was a 30 minute gap between the "protesters" being in the store and the fireworks being set off. At the time the fireworks were set off, the "protesters" were in a different shop. (This, no doubt, captured on CCTV...) Of course, one or two of the group could have come back and set off the fireworks but why would they? look at the VIDEO:

http://www.indymedia.org.uk/media/2008/01//388707.mov

Hardly "attacking", huh? And if the carol singers had come, made their point in a humorous and creative way, got a good reception from a lot of the shoppers... WHY OH WHY would they then return and terrify people with fireworks? Doesn't make any sense, does it? It would be totally counterproductive, stupid, and dangerous.

The "guy you know" (as if anyone really "knows" someone from a web forum - tsk!) might have seen the carol singers OR might have seen whoever set off the fireworks.

If a carol singer was wearing Nike, then as you say that's hypocritical, especially as the singers visited Nike that day too! Very bad form. A lot of comments in this thread ask whether any of the group were wearing iPods or other "capitalist" items. Well, the thing is, you can be immersed in a system and still voice your criticism of it! Besides that, the carol singers were singing about rampant consumerism, shopping 'til you drop, not telling everyone they cannot own any material possessions whatsoever! Just watch the video and you can see for yourself.

You people really need to look at society on a deeper level. If it wasn't the "protesters" who set off the fireworks, then who was it? The obvious answer is a bunch of kids messing about in a very dangerous way. But what if it was something more sinister? What if the fireworks were put there by someone wanting to discredit dissent and political consciousness? Wouldn't be the first time that's happened - it's well documented in the history books.

Finally, Blak Tornado, you state that "no-one can change" the capitalist world we live in. That's not an uncommon view, but is based unfortunately on ignorance. Even the smallest amount of research reveals a myriad of different systems that could replace capitalism. Even if capitalism is here to stay, then there are many, many, ways to transform it to make it fair. Do the research. You'll be surprised.
cannon38 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion