Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Dec 27, 2007, 12:46 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

iTunes Movie Rentals: Winners And Losers (AAPL)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: iTunes Movie Rentals: Winners And Losers (AAPL)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Dec 27, 2007, 12:55 PM   #2
Peace
macrumors P6

Comcast isn't going to like this at all. Takes away from their own PPV service and clogs their bandwidth at the same time.
Peace is offline   0
Old Dec 27, 2007, 02:56 PM   #3
Curtis72
macrumors member

Does anyone care about Hi-Def video (Blu-Ray or HD-DVD)? I absolutely do!

Does anyone care about Hi-Def video (Blu-Ray or HD-DVD)? I absolutely do! I have a PS3 and AppleTV! The superior vidoe and sound quality of Blu-Ray movies is very apparent when I comes to TV shows and one movie I bought from iTunes. Even upscaled plain DVDs I viewed on my PS3 doesn't complete against the picture/sound quality of a Blu-Ray movie. Secondly, a lot of th "Hi Def" cable channels do look really that great compared to standard defintion cable channels. The only exception are Discovery HD and network channels.

To me its about choice. Give consumers a variety of legal ways to watch and listen to the movies, songs, tv shows they want at a reasonable price.
Curtis72 is offline   0
Old Dec 27, 2007, 03:03 PM   #4
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

As long as it doesn't involve a rootkit and they are sensible in how they make the rip version -- I like:

Quote:
3) 20th Century Fox (NWS). The FT says Fox DVDs will include a copy of the movie that can be ripped to a computer for iPod/iPhone playback. This gives us another (small) reason to buy a physical copy of the movie -- and could modestly boost disc sales for the studio. Meanwhile, Fox will presumably do nicely via a rev share on the rentals themselves.
Ripping DVDs to H.264 is a huge PITA. Even if you buy a $4000 computer, it's not all that fast.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 03:32 PM   #5
Mackilroy
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to Mackilroy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan View Post
As long as it doesn't involve a rootkit and they are sensible in how they make the rip version -- I like:

Ripping DVDs to H.264 is a huge PITA. Even if you buy a $4000 computer, it's not all that fast.
I have no issues ripping DVDs with a 2.66 GHz Mac Pro... it's pretty fast, unless I turn on absolutely everything and double the number of encodes...
Old Dec 27, 2007, 05:46 PM   #6
angelwatt
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis72 View Post
Does anyone care about Hi-Def video (Blu-Ray or HD-DVD)?
I absolutely don't. I'm skipping this media type. I'm not rebuying everything I have for a barely noticeable change and at a higher price. I've seen Blue-Ray setup at Best Buy and I just shrug. Most people still have standard tube televisions. I still use my VCR on a weekly basis. I'm all for new technology, but neither Blue-Ray nor HD DVD is an answer. I don't know anyone personally that cares about these technologies.
angelwatt is offline   0
Old Dec 27, 2007, 05:51 PM   #7
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackilroy View Post
I have no issues ripping DVDs with a 2.66 GHz Mac Pro... it's pretty fast, unless I turn on absolutely everything and double the number of encodes...
Well, hopefully one shouldn't need a Mac Pro to be able to rip. But even on a Mac Pro, you can put an audio CD in and get a usable rip in a few minutes. From what I understand, it'll still take ... what... a half hour to do a rip on a Mac Pro? So it's something you have to plan out. Not like, say, you got a new CD at the store, you stop at home for two minutes, rip it into your iTunes and put it on your iPod and head back out the door.

Not to mention the fact that a rip that's good enough for your TV may not work on your iPhone, that you lose all the DVD features, etc, etc....
Old Dec 27, 2007, 06:03 PM   #8
Cleverboy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelwatt View Post
I absolutely don't. I'm skipping this media type. I'm not rebuying everything I have for a barely noticeable change and at a higher price. I've seen Blue-Ray setup at Best Buy and I just shrug. Most people still have standard tube televisions. I still use my VCR on a weekly basis. I'm all for new technology, but neither Blue-Ray nor HD DVD is an answer. I don't know anyone personally that cares about these technologies.
EXACTLY. I have a friend here at work that always talks about this "format war" and I keep telling him the same thing. The war is OVER. There isn't even a Pyrrhic victory for anyone... its just all carnage. Blu-Ray loses any possible mantle as the "standard". HD DVD loses as its biggest advantage is its inconsistantly implemented option to be backwards compatibility with DVD. Consumers lose because no one knows who to bet on, and long before its decided the next level will be upon us.

It's ALL about digital downloads, as Bill Gates said. MovieBeam was a good idea implemented poorly. Apple iTunes is Mac/PC/AppleTV/iPhone/iPod. That is THE winning combination. I can rent a movie, and go out for dinner and watch it in my car or at the table. I can take it home and finish it on my TV. Apple has made its flexibility legendary and EXTREMELY easy for consumers to understand. Even my sister is ripping DVDs to her iPod for her kids to watch when she needs to occupy them in a pinch.

LOSERS:
+ NBC
+ UNIVERSAL

I mean, do these guys have something against greenbacks? The Celery. The Benjamins? Legal tender? Apple is creating the ultimate consumer platform for them to sell their content, and STILL remain relevant across the consumers life and daily activites... and they say no? Sheesh. Sorry, NBC... not everyone wants to just watch on the web, and Microsoft DRM has been failing for over a decade now to inspire consumers to purchase and feel good about it. My cousin works at Verizon and she was saying that consumers don't quite understand why they can't take music purchases on one phone and move it to the next. --That's because its LAME. That's why they've bent over for ringtones for so long too.

~ CB

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion