Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 27, 2007, 08:48 PM   #1
BOOMBA
macrumors regular

Repairing permission, what's an SUID file?

Hey there.
I'm trying to repair permissions on my Mac Pro running 10.5.1 with Disk Utility, and I get this list of things it doesn't want to fix.

Code:
Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”
Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/load_hdi" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Versions/A/Resources/runner" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/readconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/writeconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/authopen" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Any idea what these are and why it can't modify them? I've never had problems repairing permissions cleanly before.

thanks!

(oh, running DU off the hard drive, not the disk)

Last edited by yellow; Dec 27, 2007 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Added Code Tags to make it human readable.
BOOMBA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 08:50 PM   #2
psychofreak
Retired

This is a known problem with Leopard, don't worry
psychofreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 09:05 PM   #3
BOOMBA
macrumors regular

Awesome.
thanks.
They all sounded important, and freaked me out, like someone had control of my remote log in stuff.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 09:17 PM   #4
yellow

For the record, and SUID is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juergen Haas
Definition: SUID (set user ID):
The SUID permission causes a script to run as the user who is the owner of the script, rather than the user who started it. It is normally considered extremely bad practice to run a program in this way as it can pose many security problems. Later versions of the Linux kernel will even prohibit the running of shell scripts that have this attribute set.

Source: http://linux.about.com/cs/linux101/g...parsetuser.htm
yellow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 05:02 PM   #5
carlsperr
macrumors newbie

Then how do I get rid of the SUID file?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow View Post
For the record, and SUID is:

Source: http://linux.about.com/cs/linux101/g...parsetuser.htm
carlsperr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help