Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cl0nd0n

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
Can anyone please shed some light on this one?

How do you setup iTunes to sync photo's to my iPod / Apple TV from an iPhoto library stored on an external firewire drive?

When I move my library (needed due to size) to the external drive the albums etc no longer show in the photo's sync tab in iTunes. It seems if I create a new iPhoto library on the local drive it works fine!

Any ideas would be welcome as this means you can't store your iPhoto library on an external drive and still use it!

Mac OSX 10.4.11
iTunes 7.5
iPhoto 5.0.4

Cheers

Chris

skybolt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Nashville, TN, USA
I have my photos stored on my external and they sync fine with my iPod. Not at the mac right now, so can't give a screen shot, but on the photo tab in iTunes (while you iPod is attached), click on the arrows next the the "iTunes Library" (or whatever it says). You should be able to navigate from there to where your library is stored.

Good luck!

cl0nd0n

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
I have my photos stored on my external and they sync fine with my iPod. Not at the mac right now, so can't give a screen shot, but on the photo tab in iTunes (while you iPod is attached), click on the arrows next the the "iTunes Library" (or whatever it says). You should be able to navigate from there to where your library is stored.

Good luck!

Thanks. That's what i thought but nothing there. When the iPhoto Library is on my Powerbook G4 drive iTunes see's all the albums etc and syncs fine.

When I move my iPhoto library to my firewire drive they all disappear in the iTunes sync tab!

cl0nd0n

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
Guys this is really strange! I have removed all iTunes, iPhoto software & libraries.

Still no joy!

For some reason all other mac software seems to pick up my iPhoto library from an external drive but iTunes won't.

I must have done something wrong! Am i meant to leave elements of the iTunes & iPhoto libraries on my local drive?

I am stuck as I don't have room to transfer all my iPhoto back to my local drive & I need to transfer images to iPod.

Thanks again if anyone can help.

Chris

skybolt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Nashville, TN, USA
O.k., is the library on the external the last library that was opened? Maybe iTunes is only picking up the last opened library, and if you had your internal library open last, it would only see that? Just grasping at straws here. Try opening iPhoto holding down the option key and selecting the library on the external. Then close iPhoto. Now see what iTunes has to say. Does that make any difference?

cl0nd0n

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
Hi Skybolt

Still no joy! I had already been over all of these options. Opening the library again from external drive, moving back to my local drive etc etc.

I can now see all the temp albums I have created in a 2nd library on my local drive. I delete this library and empty trash, open iPhoto again, select my external library, open iTunes & bam. No iPhoto library in the iPod sync TAB!

How frustrating!

zarma1

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
Check The Name Of The External Disk And Folder Where The Library Is Located

Oh my goodness!!! I SOLVED IT!!!!! I have been at this for a long time!

I have my iPhoto library on an external drive. The drive was named " Music & Pictures ".

I opened the AlbumData.xml file in Safari (by opening the iPhoto Library folder on my external drive, right clicking and selecting "Show Package Contents", selecting AlbumData.xml and right-clicking, I selected open with Safari) and read the error message.

It stated the error was on line 7 of the AlbumData.xml file. So I opened the AlbumData.xml again but this time in TextEdit so that I can see the whole thing and count down to line seven. Guess what? That is where the location of the library is specified. It all looked good - BUT this time I noticed that there were spaces and an ampersand ( & ) - because I chose to name it " Music & Pictures" and thought it might not like that.

So I decided to RENAME THE DRIVE with a ONE WORD NAME. Now it's called " Media ". I then opened iphoto (with the option key pressed so that I could tell it the new location of my library) - All good. I then opened iTunes - AND VOILA!!

For some other people this has worked, but they found the error on a different line. Opening in Safari will tell you where the error is in this file. Scroll to the last line in Safari. Then you can figure out how to fix it. Sometimes it's just deleting a picture and reimporting it. Other times it can be deleting the keyword or comments. But Safari will tell you the error line.

Try opening the file in Safari multiple times until you don't get an error if the first correction you make is not enough. You may have more than one error. You can open in Text Edit to see what the whole line refers to. DO NOT MAKE CHANGES TO THE FILE IN TEXTEDIT.

IT WORKED. I HOPE THIS WORKS FOR YOU.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.