Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

birdMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
I recently switched from an old PC desktop to one of the new 15" powerbooks (yay.. ), and everything is going quite well, but I'd like to change the noise made when I change the volume (from the little farting noise to something like the purring noise). Is this something that can be done? I feel like one of my friends who has an older TiBook and 10.1.x running can do this. Is this something that would have to be done with a firmware hack?
And one further question, any particular things that make things better using OS X from people who are used to using it (quite a sentence).

birdMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
Apparantly this isn't very easy or else I would have gotten a reply. At least I'm not being dumb about it.

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
Yes, I think There IS a way

I remember reading an article on MacWorld about three months ago about this. Go to their website and dig around. Like all (not many, OS X is a fairly quiet OS) the default sound is stored in vowels of the system files. It can be changed. I also suggest checking out macosxhints.com. Good Luck!

birdMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
right on, it was on macworld. Pretty keyHERE Now I have the volume change as the little purring noise, which I find much more pleasant personally. One of my friends had it like that and THat was what I expected when i got this baby, but alas, it wasn't so I've been wanting to change it every since. Thanks ya'll

Peace,
Birdman

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.