Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Dec 28, 2007, 11:35 AM   #1
thesdx
macrumors 6502a

Turn off iTunes automatically opening

Whenever iTunes is running and I plug in my iTouch, iTunes automatically opens. Is there a way to turn this off? It can get kind of annoying.
thesdx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 11:36 AM   #2
Consultant
macrumors G5

It's iPod touch, not itouch.

use keyboard short cut: Command-Q
Consultant is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 11:43 AM   #3
WildPalms
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
It's iPod touch, not itouch.

use keyboard short cut: Command-Q
Oh come now, we all know its an 'iPod touch' but doesnt iTouch just roll off the tongue?
Old Dec 28, 2007, 11:45 AM   #4
WildPalms
macrumors 65816

To the OP, yes you can. Plug in the iTouch () and highlight it (click it) in iTunes. On the right in the main pane, make sure the Summary tab is selected. You will see an option that is checked by default: Open iTunes when this iPod is connected. Deselect it (uncheck the box) and then click on Apply.

Your iTouch ( ...I cant stop using that term now ) will no longer open iTunes automatically.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 11:58 AM   #5
ChrisBrightwell
macrumors 68020

To stop iTunes from opening for ANY iPod:

System Prefs > Accounts > (Select Your Account) > Login Items Tab

Remove the "iTunes Helper" item and it will stop iTunes from opening any time ANY iPod is plugged in.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 01:32 PM   #6
thesdx
macrumors 6502a

I tried both solutions (iTunesHelper and the check box) and neither work. It still pops up iTunes. I don't want to quit iTunes, because it'll take longer to open, and I like to control music through the dashboard widget.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 01:47 PM   #7
ChrisBrightwell
macrumors 68020

Removing iTunes Helper from your Login Items screen didn't work?

You may have to kill the service. Try rebooting after removing it from your login items.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 02:16 PM   #8
thesdx
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBrightwell View Post
You may have to kill the service. Try rebooting after removing it from your login items.
I tried that, but still no luck.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 09:05 PM   #9
alanmccornack
macrumors newbie

iTunes is bad news

This thread was very helpful to me. I have been struggling for 2 days to get the last remnants of iTunes removed from my iMac. DRM is evil, and by stopping "iTunes Helper," I was able to fully empty the trash after restarting. I don't own an iPod because I refuse to let Apple dictate my choices. I would no more voluntarily put iTunes on a machine than I would put a "governor" on my car to keep me from going over 65 mph. I'm so mad, I'm writing this on my XP laptop.

I've moved from Windows to the Mac in the last year, as the wiser choice of two evils. I resent anyone trying to dictate what I do with my precious collection of MP3's. After buying songs on vinyl, and then buying them again on CD, I don't care what the lawyers say: I OWN THEM! They are mine to listen to at any time, and to hell with "applications" that try to seize control. All I want is to copy a few of them to my Panasonic MP3 player, or play them occasionally on a computer (Quicktime will do).

Just because I play something once, does not mean I want it copied anywhere other than the external hard drive where it resides! I am glad to be free of iTunes entirely, and I thank you.
alanmccornack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 02:22 PM   #10
crazzyeddie
macrumors 68030

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmccornack
This thread was very helpful to me. I have been struggling for 2 days to get the last remnants of iTunes removed from my iMac. DRM is evil, and by stopping "iTunes Helper," I was able to fully empty the trash after restarting. I don't own an iPod because I refuse to let Apple dictate my choices. I would no more voluntarily put iTunes on a machine than I would put a "governor" on my car to keep me from going over 65 mph. I'm so mad, I'm writing this on my XP laptop.

I've moved from Windows to the Mac in the last year, as the wiser choice of two evils. I resent anyone trying to dictate what I do with my precious collection of MP3's. After buying songs on vinyl, and then buying them again on CD, I don't care what the lawyers say: I OWN THEM! They are mine to listen to at any time, and to hell with "applications" that try to seize control. All I want is to copy a few of them to my Panasonic MP3 player, or play them occasionally on a computer (Quicktime will do).

Just because I play something once, does not mean I want it copied anywhere other than the external hard drive where it resides! I am glad to be free of iTunes entirely, and I thank you.
Wow, paranoid much? iTunes won't copy your music if you don't want it to and doesn't put DRM on your music; neither does an iPod. I think you seriously need to step back and take a breather.

Macbook Pro 15"
8GB DDR3 RAM
iPhone 6 Silver

Last edited by crazzyeddie; Apr 9, 2008 at 07:53 PM.
crazzyeddie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2008, 04:16 PM   #11
alanmccornack
macrumors newbie

Talking Don't misunderstand

I'm not saying iTunes adds DRM to my collection. What I resent is Bill and Steve seem to want to limit our options, and force us to use their software only. You can't download Microsoft updates with Firefox, you can't put a Mac OS update on a flash drive, you can't write to a USB-connected NTFS external drive from a Mac, etc. Why can't these two competing forces quit trying to sabotage each other? Why can't one USB hard drive be moved back and forth between the two platforms like I do with my flash drives? When I can afford it, I'll get a Network Attached Storage drive.

When I don't like the way someone does business, I vote with my wallet. I don't shop at WalMart. Likewise, if I simply want to hear a tune or two from my collection, I don't want the app to dork things up just because I don't want to take the time to learn all the ins and outs of configuring it "correctly." I'm tired of being force-fed Billyware, and the Mac is obviously superior. But I'm not buying anything from the iTunes store, never have, never will because I don't like being force-fed DRM, even if they were 9 cents per song.

I'm a controlling person. Anything (like iTunes "Helper") that makes it impossible to empty the trash just has to go out the window. Thanks for listening.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 09:25 PM   #12
crazzyeddie
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmccornack View Post
I'm not saying iTunes adds DRM to my collection. What I resent is Bill and Steve seem to want to limit our options...

I think you're really misinformed about some things...

The reason you can't do Windows updates with Firefox is because Firefox doesn't support ActiveX, which is the technology used to do software updates on Windows. Firefox chose not to support this technology, Microsoft didn't prevent them from using it.

You can put a Mac OS update on a flash drive, you just need to download the package from the website or use the "Install and Keep Package" command to keep the update file.

You can't write to a NTFS drive because Mac OS doesn't have write support for NTFS. This is a combination of two issues: first, Apple doesn't want to devote resources toward it and secondly its not exactly easy to backward engineer NTFS (from what I hear). But you can add NTFS write capability with a third party application that is available for free online.

And even if you're not going to use iTunes to buy music, its completely possible to configure it to play music from your external drive without copying it or modifying it... you just have to tell it to. It does it one way because its the easiest way for people who don't know how to keep their music on an external hard drive... ie 75% of the population.

Just don't be so quick to blame companies for these things and act like they're trying to force you to do something. Apple, and yes, even Microsoft, for the most part aren't trying to control their life. DRM isn't their invention, it was forced on them by the record companies and their greed, and for the most part they want people to have choice, because more choice makes more people happy and so they continue to buy their products.

Macbook Pro 15"
8GB DDR3 RAM
iPhone 6 Silver

Last edited by crazzyeddie; Apr 13, 2008 at 03:16 PM.
crazzyeddie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2008, 01:23 PM   #13
alanmccornack
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info

Thanks, crazyeddie. I'm still a newbie to the Mac world, and learning more all the time. The Mac is a better platform, by far. I just wish it was easier to hop back and forth, because I have to in order to get everything done. Thanks for the info!
Old Oct 3, 2011, 03:05 PM   #14
Zondag
macrumors newbie

How to enable iTunesHelper

How can i enable iTunes helper? i can't find in anywhere on my mac (book pro).
Zondag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2011, 05:39 PM   #15
And1ss
macrumors 6502a

The way to solve this is to open image capture while the device plugged in - on the bottom left corner there will be an option for "open application when this device is connected" - select none from the drop down and that's it.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch