Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Briand

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2007
I set up a separate account on my Mac for another user. Is there any way that I can as an admin be able to find out what the password is for the other user acct?

Briand

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2007
yeah but I need to be able to access that account not change the password.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I believe that an admin user can request a password change within the accounts preferences pane for a standard user as well.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
yeah but I need to be able to access that account not change the password.

You'll be able to access the account if you change the password. :confused:

I think see what you're saying OP. You don't want to change the password. Couldn't you change it, ask the person to type it in again and give it to you? Or, just create a new one and tell them what it is. Why the need for subversion and secrecy?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Won't that simply ask the user to change the password when they next log in? It won't give Briand access to the account though.
Here's what OS X tells me.

The login.keychain reminder makes sense too.

Attachments

• reset.png
    reset.png
    42.1 KB · Views: 398

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Won't that simply ask the user to change the password when they next log in? It won't give Briand access to the account though.

Hmmm, I'm sure I changed passwords the other day.
I've just tried it again and it won't let me.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Up through Tiger, an admin user could change another users password via the Accounts prefpane. I have to assume this exists in Leopard as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.