Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Dec 28, 2007, 06:08 PM   #1
kumamusic
macrumors newbie

Which processor?: 4-Core vs. 8-Core

I'm under extreme pressure now.. trying to decide by the end of this year about buying a MAC PRO. I've never owned one before, and I desperately need some good input on this (not only to mention spending some big bucks on it). My main usage will be writing/recording music. Also there are some Leopard issues that I wanted to point out..

1) 4-core or the expensive 8-core? To begin with, I've been a bit hesitant about getting the 8. First of all, it's the best one out there for apple, and secondly it's another at least $1300 or so (I could save the money to get more internal HD, rams, etc).

I wanted to know if anybody here has had the 8-core and have experienced any sort of problems regarding using it. I'm wondering if it's worth spending the extra bucks for the future(that's for sure I know- or actually would it be a better choice to wait for the newer MAC PRO to come out supposedly by Feb 2008 or so?), but if I do really need this monster to run my applications (such as Logic Pro 8, Pro Tools, Digital Performer, and some Virtual Instruments: Vienna Symphony Lib, East West Symphonic Orchestra(s),- if you know what I'm talking about here..). Does most applications support the 8-core and would I be be using this at full capability for my music? Maybe people who work with Adobe After Affects.. Final cut pro doing video related/graphics may have the 8-cores. Any musicians out there about this issue?

2) Secondly, I think I still would like to use Tiger just because I heard from people that it's probably the most stable op. system as of now in terms of running various applications. So when I purchase the MAC PRO, I'm not sure if it's already going to come with it or not..

3) Will I have any problems running Tiger with the 8-core processor?

Thanks, I'm looking forward for some feedback!

Kuma-

Last edited by kumamusic; Dec 28, 2007 at 06:19 PM.
kumamusic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 06:16 PM   #2
G4DP
macrumors 65816

1) You shouldn't have a problem running anything if Leopard updates have been issued for the software you use, it would be a good idea to check the developers website. You will only gain full benefit from either 4 or 8 cores is the software has been written to take advantage of them.

2) & 3) Unless you buy a used MacPro you will not be able to use Tiger. All new Mac Pro's now come with Lepoard pre-installed. You cannot go back an OS generation.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 06:19 PM   #3
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
Wait until MacWorld for a possible update. Not to mention down the road you can swap out the processors but it does void your warranty.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 06:52 PM   #4
seany916
macrumors 6502

When the new MP is released, there will be a "sweet spot" as far as power/price ratio. It will be fairly easy to determine which model to choose.
seany916 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2008, 01:39 AM   #5
kumamusic
macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone who replied. I've been waiting every single day and wondering about the new release.. I actually ordered the 3.0 GHZ MAC PRO QUAD last week and cancelled the order immediately- some premonition told me not to order now! I just found out yesterday and it was true. The prices dropped quite alot, that's really great. I am getting going to stop by the apple store tomorrow and see the new 8-core 2.8 GHZ! I am so happy now !! It was def. worth waiting (plus it comes with the new alum. keyboard) Any comments on this ?

Once again, I am just so happy. I can't sleep tonight!
kumamusic is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice