Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
I currently have a 4th generation iPod, and I'm getting a iPod Touch soon. I need a way to get all my music from my old iPod to the new one. I don't get my music from iTunes, therefore the songs are not in my iTunes library, so I can't just sync the new iPod. I heard that if you take the iPods to an Apple Store, they can transfer the songs from one to the other. Is this true? If not, is there any other way to transfer the songs? I have almost 600, I'd hate to have to re-download them all again. Thanks

gabyk

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2007
I currently have a 4th generation iPod, and I'm getting a iPod Touch soon. I need a way to get all my music from my old iPod to the new one. I don't get my music from iTunes, therefore the songs are not in my iTunes library, so I can't just sync the new iPod. I heard that if you take the iPods to an Apple Store, they can transfer the songs from one to the other. Is this true? If not, is there any other way to transfer the songs? I have almost 600, I'd hate to have to re-download them all again. Thanks

You must backup your files to computer again and then from computer to your new ipod touch. itune blocks this function, you must utilize other tools to achieve that. There're couple of tools for transferring the files between ipod and computer depends on your demands, e.g transfer only songs/videos, transfer photos etc. You can have a look of this review site, hope it useful.

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
So there's no other way to do it, I have to use a program? I wish this was easier. I no longer have any songs on my computer. I simply have 600 songs that exist solely on my iPod, and I need to get them to the new Touch. Someone told me theres a hidden folder with the songs on my current iPod, but since you cant access folders like that on the Touch, I guess I cant do a copy-paste job. Any other suggestions?

ScottFitz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2007
There are plenty of 3rd party apps that will allow this. Just check out Office Depot's software section next time you're in there.

touchpod101

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2008
Apps

I found many applications that do this but none of them are free, and the ones that are free have limitations like "you can only transfer 40 songs."

Anyone have ideas for me?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
If you have a nano or a hard-disked based iPod, you can drag your music files off your iPod onto your computer. From a Touch, you can use DiskAid (don't have a link, sorry, please google) to copy the music. The files will have cryptic names, though, and you'd need an mp3 editor to rename them. That's kind of a lot of work, so I'm thinking for most people, it'd be better to use one of those programs that get the songs off your iPods and rename them properly for you, even if you do have to pay for it.

russianmaddness

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2009
Use iPod Rip (ipodrip.com i think)

to copy your files from your old ipod into your mac and then transfer those music files into your new ipod and VUALA;)

EdithTorino

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2014
You can use iCloud Backup to back up your previous device and then restore the backup to a new device. Your saved messages, email accounts, photos, notes, and other personal settings will be transferred to your new device.
1. Go to Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup.
2. Turn on iCloud Backup.
3. Tap Back Up Now.
4. Wait until the backup finishes. How long it will take depends on how big the backup is and how fast your Internet connection is.
5. Choose Restore from iCloud Backup from the new one.
6. Enter your Apple ID and password.
7. Choose the backup of your old device and tap Restore. Wait until the device finishes restoring from the backup.
If it doesn't work, try this guide: How to Transfer Music from iPod to iPod

Last edited:

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Gosh maybe I need to go back to some forums I used to frequent 10 years ago and see if any of my old questions have been answered in the last few days. I wonder what's happening with Usenet these days too!:cool:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
You can use iCloud Backup to back up your previous device and then restore the backup to a new device. Your saved messages, email accounts, photos, notes, and other personal settings will be transferred to your new device.

1. As another poster already pointed out, this thread is several years old.

2. iCloud backup doesn't backup music, so it's not a solution to the question the OP was asking.

sebastian...

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
You can use iCloud Backup to back up your previous device and then restore the backup to a new device.

Thank you very much for your post. It seems it's your first one:) . Your advice is useful for those who don't know how to use iCloud. (I had a sister with the same name)

EdithTorino

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2014
1. Go to Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup.
2. Turn on iCloud Backup.
3. Tap Back Up Now.
4. Wait until the backup finishes. How long it will take depends on how big the backup is and how fast your Internet connection is.
5. Choose Restore from iCloud Backup from the new one.
6. Enter your Apple ID and password.
7. Choose the backup of your old device and tap Restore. Wait until the device finishes restoring from the backup.
If it doesn't work, try this guide: How to Transfer Music from iPod to iPod
Also remember have iTunes installed first, sebastian...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.