Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Dec 29, 2007, 12:21 PM   #1
sportsfrk214
macrumors 6502a

How can I transfer my music from one iPod to another?

I currently have a 4th generation iPod, and I'm getting a iPod Touch soon. I need a way to get all my music from my old iPod to the new one. I don't get my music from iTunes, therefore the songs are not in my iTunes library, so I can't just sync the new iPod. I heard that if you take the iPods to an Apple Store, they can transfer the songs from one to the other. Is this true? If not, is there any other way to transfer the songs? I have almost 600, I'd hate to have to re-download them all again. Thanks
sportsfrk214 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 09:19 PM   #2
Hawkeye411
macrumors 68000

If they are not iTunes purchased songs then you shouldn't have a problem.
Hawkeye411 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 09:25 PM   #3
quicklook2
macrumors 6502

i am using podworks to transfer from one computer(pc) to ipod touch to another computer (mac) and it is working out well.

they are itunes
quicklook2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 01:47 AM   #4
gabyk
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfrk214 View Post
I currently have a 4th generation iPod, and I'm getting a iPod Touch soon. I need a way to get all my music from my old iPod to the new one. I don't get my music from iTunes, therefore the songs are not in my iTunes library, so I can't just sync the new iPod. I heard that if you take the iPods to an Apple Store, they can transfer the songs from one to the other. Is this true? If not, is there any other way to transfer the songs? I have almost 600, I'd hate to have to re-download them all again. Thanks
You must backup your files to computer again and then from computer to your new ipod touch. itune blocks this function, you must utilize other tools to achieve that. There're couple of tools for transferring the files between ipod and computer depends on your demands, e.g transfer only songs/videos, transfer photos etc. You can have a look of this review site, hope it useful.
gabyk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:00 PM   #5
sportsfrk214
macrumors 6502a

So there's no other way to do it, I have to use a program? I wish this was easier. I no longer have any songs on my computer. I simply have 600 songs that exist solely on my iPod, and I need to get them to the new Touch. Someone told me theres a hidden folder with the songs on my current iPod, but since you cant access folders like that on the Touch, I guess I cant do a copy-paste job. Any other suggestions?
sportsfrk214 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:10 PM   #6
TuffLuffJimmy
macrumors G3

There's plenty of programs to do this for you. Why are you against them?
Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:22 PM   #7
Mr. Mustard
macrumors member

mmm.

don't you have one of dem der compruders? they can does it for ya.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 11:21 PM   #8
xXriderXx7
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to xXriderXx7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mustard View Post
don't you have one of dem der compruders? they can does it for ya.
Thanks for wasting bandwidth.

Youre going to need to do this in three steps, off ipod, onto computer, and to new ipod.
5G 30GB iPod, 16GB iPod Nano
xXriderXx7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 09:39 AM   #9
ScottFitz
macrumors 6502a

There are plenty of 3rd party apps that will allow this. Just check out Office Depot's software section next time you're in there.
ScottFitz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2008, 01:06 PM   #10
touchpod101
macrumors newbie

Unhappy Apps

I found many applications that do this but none of them are free, and the ones that are free have limitations like "you can only transfer 40 songs."

Anyone have ideas for me?
touchpod101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2008, 01:36 PM   #11
Night Spring
macrumors G3

If you have a nano or a hard-disked based iPod, you can drag your music files off your iPod onto your computer. From a Touch, you can use DiskAid (don't have a link, sorry, please google) to copy the music. The files will have cryptic names, though, and you'd need an mp3 editor to rename them. That's kind of a lot of work, so I'm thinking for most people, it'd be better to use one of those programs that get the songs off your iPods and rename them properly for you, even if you do have to pay for it.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2009, 09:32 PM   #12
russianmaddness
macrumors newbie

Use iPod Rip (ipodrip.com i think)

to copy your files from your old ipod into your mac and then transfer those music files into your new ipod and VUALA
russianmaddness is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:55 PM   #13
EdithTorino
macrumors newbie

You can use iCloud Backup to back up your previous device and then restore the backup to a new device. Your saved messages, email accounts, photos, notes, and other personal settings will be transferred to your new device.
1. Go to Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup.
2. Turn on iCloud Backup.
3. Tap Back Up Now.
4. Wait until the backup finishes. How long it will take depends on how big the backup is and how fast your Internet connection is.
5. Choose Restore from iCloud Backup from the new one.
6. Enter your Apple ID and password.
7. Choose the backup of your old device and tap Restore. Wait until the device finishes restoring from the backup.
If it doesn't work, try this guide: How to Transfer Music from iPod to iPod

Last edited by EdithTorino; Jul 27, 2014 at 10:49 PM.
EdithTorino is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2014, 07:37 PM   #14
iolinux333
macrumors 68000

Gosh maybe I need to go back to some forums I used to frequent 10 years ago and see if any of my old questions have been answered in the last few days. I wonder what's happening with Usenet these days too!
iolinux333 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:14 AM   #15
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdithTorino View Post
You can use iCloud Backup to back up your previous device and then restore the backup to a new device. Your saved messages, email accounts, photos, notes, and other personal settings will be transferred to your new device.
1. As another poster already pointed out, this thread is several years old.

2. iCloud backup doesn't backup music, so it's not a solution to the question the OP was asking.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2014, 02:55 PM   #16
sebastian...
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdithTorino View Post
You can use iCloud Backup to back up your previous device and then restore the backup to a new device.
Thank you very much for your post. It seems it's your first one . Your advice is useful for those who don't know how to use iCloud. (I had a sister with the same name)
sebastian... is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch