Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch > iPod touch Hacks

Old Dec 29, 2007, 11:33 AM   #1
SolracSelbor
macrumors 6502

What is Jailbreak?

Ive been trying to find info on simply what is jailbreak, but i have had no luck other than knowing that it is a device use to "Hack" the iphone/touch. But whats the point of hacking, what are the pros and cons?
SolracSelbor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 11:35 AM   #2
aethelbert
macrumors 601

If you search the forums, you will find that it is a process that hacks the firmware on the device to allow you to install more applications.

And don't start multiple threads with the same purpose. It's unfair to others who also want their questions answered.
aethelbert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 11:35 AM   #3
psychofreak
Retired

No real cons - it lets you put some applications on the iPod such as games...
psychofreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 11:37 AM   #4
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Basically I think the name comes from the fact that people feel limited by their phones ergo jailbreak.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 11:41 AM   #5
SolracSelbor
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by akonradi View Post
If you search the forums, you will find that it is a process that hacks the firmware on the device to allow you to install more applications.

And don't start multiple threads with the same purpose. It's unfair to others who also want their questions answered.
Ive been searching the forum and could not find anything...google didnt help either. Anyways, what kinds of aps can you install on it to make it worth while that you cant install before jailbreak?
SolracSelbor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 11:42 AM   #6
cbrain
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
Basically I think the name comes from the fact that people feel limited by their phones ergo jailbreak.
The name comes from the fact that you are allowing a "FreeBSD Jail" to see an entire file system.

(From Wikipedia)

ToDo: Subscribe again.
cbrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 11:45 AM   #7
aethelbert
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolracSelbor View Post
Anyways, what kinds of aps can you install on it to make it worth while that you cant install before jailbreak?
Well, to start, the ENTIRE iPod touch hack forum is about jailbreaking. That's a lot of information to look at.

And you can install apps from the iPhone (weather, stocks, notes, etc), games, customizations, instant messengers, and other stuff.
aethelbert is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch > iPod touch Hacks