Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2002
England
When I joined .mac last year, I had to pay in $$$ (US dollars) but this was no problem as I was using a VISA card anyway. The price for UK subscribers at that time was $49, the same as the price for US subscribers, and we were led to believe that the price for renewal this year would be $99.

However I have just checked my renewal details to find that I will be charged £70 (UK pounds)

At todays exchage rate £70 is $116.40, and even at the lowest rate for the last 4 months it is still equivalent to $109.14

Why is this, it seems unfair considering fewer benefits are received by UK subscribers. The price for adding an email only account is also more in the UK. :confused:

Also, why does Apple add a flat rate tax charge of 21% ?
VAT in the UK is 17.5% so either they are going to give more to the government than they need to (I doubt it) or keep the difference for themselves and pass it off as tax. I think this is outrageous.

I not going to cancel my order because of this, but it does add to the list of things that may one day make me choose against Apple (lack of iphoto printing and books and lack of UK info on sherlock and are already on the list).

Moan over. Sorry. Thanks for reading.

edit: got my $$ and ££ confused......

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I hadn't noticed this, I recently went and updated my credit card details so that my .Mac would renew, but this sucks! Why the hell should we end up paying more for a service half (ok, maybe not quite half, but some) of which we can't even use! :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.