Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JLJ50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
I slid one of those half-sized CDs into my MacBook Pro and It ate it.
Doesn't display on desktop or in Finder, can't figure out how to eject it.

Help wasn't any help; no mention of little CDs or CD that can't be found on desktop (except for Preferences set-up, which isn't the problem)

Is there a MacBook Pro equivalent to the little hole you used to stick a paper clip into to remove floppies?

Any help would be appreciated. I really don't want to tale this computer apart if I can avoid it!

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
ACK! Those things are lethal in slot-load drives (whether Windows or Mac).

Try rebooting the computer with the trackpad button held down. That will cause the machine to try and eject whatever is in it. No promises, however, as sometimes those Mini CD things get stuck and the drive can't eject them...

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
When I bought an iMac, the first thing the guy told me was NEVER PUT A MINI CD IN IT. That seems like common sense for a slot load drive. You'll probably have to get the machine taken apart to get it removed :(

bjett92

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Indy, IN
Note:

Never put anything but standard sized DVD/CDs in a slot-loading drive.

Stuck CD's are a pain to get out.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
ACK! Those things are lethal in slot-load drives (whether Windows or Mac).

Try rebooting the computer with the trackpad button held down. That will cause the machine to try and eject whatever is in it. No promises, however, as sometimes those Mini CD things get stuck and the drive can't eject them...

This, or tiny tiny tweezers. If neither work, you'll have to take it in, or take it apart.

chrisdazzo

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2006
Mountains
i recommend turning the macbook on its side, with the cd drive facing down, and holding eject. that should work. if not, there's plenty of discussions that can help on apple.com.

jamesybsu

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
man I hope you can get it out. I think the lesson has been learned here now, the hard way unfortunately ;)

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
i did that once.

simply restart it. you don't have to hold anything down. the computer always checks if there's something in the drive and mine just ejected it upon the reboot.

i didn't have any problems and my drive works just fine.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
I wonder why apple don't support mini CD/DVD? Just got some old gamecube games out to play on my wii, and that takes the mini-DVDs just fine in its slot drive

sr5878

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
I wonder why apple don't support mini CD/DVD? Just got some old gamecube games out to play on my wii, and that takes the mini-DVDs just fine in its slot drive

i'd assume the drive in the wii is larger and newer than the mbp drive. who uses mini cds anyways?

GAS

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2006
This happened to me. What I did was, got a post-it note, and slide it into the drive, get the sticky part of the post it to grab the cd and then simply pull out. Worked first time for me.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
My parents did this with their imac. When they brought it in to be fixed apple had to remove the drive to get it out but it only took 2 days before they got it back good as new. Apple didn't charge them in the end either.

chrismac00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
This happened to me the day I got my MacBook. It came with the Leopard Drop-In Disk and it got stuck inside. I couldn't use it the day I got it. It sucked until the next day I used some tweezers and it came out safely and didn't damage ANYTHING. You just gotta be SUPER CAREFUL!:D

espressoroast

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
Amsterdam
how I solved mine..

AHH.. the dreaded mini-cd stuck.

Happened to girlfriend's Macbook once, what I did was,
I turned it off, closed the lid, held it firmly and while the slot it facing the floor shook it a bit, forcefully but not in a huge sweep.

The CD came off the slot thanks to our good friend gravity.

Careful, don't hurl your laptop to the floor though.;)

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
AHH.. the dreaded mini-cd stuck.

Happened to girlfriend's Macbook once, what I did was,
I turned it off, closed the lid, held it firmly and while the slot it facing the floor shook it a bit, forcefully but not in a huge sweep.

The CD came off the slot thanks to our good friend gravity.

Careful, don't hurl your laptop to the floor though.;)

hahahahaha, oh silly gravity.

again, mine just spat it back out. lol, it must've just been in a bad mood compared to all of your 'books.

jlew82

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2009
post-its really work!

This happened to me. What I did was, got a post-it note, and slide it into the drive, get the sticky part of the post it to grab the cd and then simply pull out. Worked first time for me.

thanks so much for this! I just got a new mac and did this dumb thing. thought after reading all the forums that i should bring it to mac office to get it fixed, as some of the ideas were using a paper clip which sounded dodgy and prob might kill your drive, but this post it idea sounded benign..it WORKED!! thanks so much!

snowmoon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Albany, NY

The Wii drive is specially designed to support the smaller disks, it also has to spin "backwards" to play the GC disks. It's the *only* slot loader that I'm aware of to support the smaller disks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.