Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdham

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2003
Madison
I really want an iPod, but am a starving college student and it just isnt an option right at the moment. However, I found this (link bellow) on ebay. I have heard of the problem he describes (please look under Item Condition) before and was wondering if it is something that can be fixed. If so is it worth the risk, or is it just too hard to tell from the info given?

Thanks in advance
Paul

Link

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
An iPod expert is needed to answer the question. Maybe it can be reformatted?

I've noticed that iPods on eBay get bid up to ridiculous levels, sometimes over $200 for 5GB units. Demand is just too high for the auction format to work well. Some MR folks have let their 5GB's go for around $100 on this board.

Nik_Doof

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2003
St Helens, UK
usually that problem is either

a) needs a reformat
b) dead HDD...

now i'd give it 50/50 but u'd assume that the previous owner had tried everything to get this sucker to work....so i wouldnt take the risk personally :)

cwalton

macrumors member
May 2, 2003
Sounds like it just needs a software restore to me... but, I woun't take that chance.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Well economically speaking the current bid is 27$ plus the 8.75$ shipping, so that thing runs you about 40$ right now

it would technically be worth if because he says it turns on, so it looks like a software failure, but i could bewrong or maybe something got lose.

So it is a gamble, i would call an apple resellers or the apple stores tech support and ask about this problem.

Also email the guy selling it, i didn't read weather it still plays, i guess it wouldn't.... but i figure with something like this, leave nothing to interpretation, and just ask....

joeyjojoe

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
don't buy this particular ipod. look for another 5gig which will probably sell for 100-150. if you can't afford that, i think you may be out of luck.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
yeah ask him to try to run a software restore one more time... also i think it may be illegal for him to ask you to pay the paypal fee....not illegal but against ebay rules

3-22

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2002
Refurb...

Don't know your price range, but I noticed this on Apple's refurb section today... At least with an Apple refurb you get a warranty.

iPod 10GB MAC (prior version w/ touch pad, remote & carrying case) - Refurbished

$169

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.