Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 29, 2007, 08:19 PM   #1
Quit /
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
iPod Touch Does Not Support USB 1.x (unconfirmed)

Hello,

I've done some extensive research into why my iPod Touch doesn't work with my perfectly capable G4 iMac.

It's because it has a USB 1.1 port on it.
There have been a lot of people having problems like mine, and the vast majority seem to stem from having USB ports that aren't 2.0

I believe that this is to get us to buy new computers.
There is no reason for the touch to not work with USB 1 (although it would be really slow) and there is, again, no reason why they couldn't make it compatible with both USB and FireWire.

Pffft. etc.
Quit / is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 09:05 PM   #2
zephead
macrumors 68000
 
zephead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: in your pants
Well the reason Apple took FireWire syncing out of the 5G and later iPods is because the FW chipset is thick, and by taking it out they're able to make the iPods thinner.

I, for one, would be glad to have iPods few millimeters thicker so that I could use FireWire.
__________________
California sunlight, Sweet Calcutta rain, Honolulu starbright, The Song Remains the Same....
13" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz/250/4/10.6.5/ ~ iPhone 3G/16/4.0
zephead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 09:35 PM   #3
quicklook2
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: lakewood, ohio
I am on a PowerBook pismo and USB works fine.

It is not that slow and works just fine.
quicklook2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 09:40 PM   #4
euanmackie
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
it does work but amazingly slow i worked it out to be slower than real time! its a shame , its so slow i will be purchasing a mac mini because it has 2.0 , a move i should of done ages ago tho!
euanmackie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 01:46 AM   #5
iCube
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
iPod Touch 8 GB works on my iMac G3 600MHz!!

I tried my iPod Touch with my iMac G3 600 MHz (USB 1.1) and it worked fine. I didn't Sync, I only dragged songs to the iPod icon in the source list. It charges too!
__________________
Check out my site http://waynecombs.com
iCube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 10:37 AM   #6
Quit /
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Thumbs down

Now Confirmed!

Key facts
iPod Touch is designed not to work with USB 1. x
If you want to use an iPod Touch you have to buy a machine with USB 2.0 ports.
Apple considers a machine that is four years old to be unsupportable.

-

I spoke to the concierge at the Apple Store in Regent Street today about the problems I've been having (listed above), he said he's "never heard of an iPod doing that!"

He looked at the iPod and checked some menu options, not sure what, he didn't tell me.

I asked him a straightforward question

"Will the iPod Touch work with a USB 1 cable, and if not, why not?"

He checked on his iPhone. There was nothing to say it wouldn't work, but it definitely was better for me to have USB 2.0

We went upstairs to the Genius bar for iPods and he confirmed that it only supports USB 2.0 (it says so on the box) and that if I'm having problems with USB 1.0 it's definitely strange, but it's not supported.

When I pressed for a reason for this he conferred with his colleague again who became visibly angry and grunted something obviously unpleasant at the guy who turned to me and said "It just needs USB 2.0, it says so on the box".

So I asked if it was unsupported for 1.0.
He said it wasn't designed or that but it should work.
I asked him again if having a 1.0 port meant I couldn't use it.
He said yeas, they do not support USB 1.0

I was unhappy with this answer as the cornerstone of Apples advertising is "It just works". This iPod "just doesn't" and I suspect that it could quite easily work, if Apple wanted it to.

I spoke to a little huddle of Mac helpers at the front of the shop.

I told them that I now know that the iPod is designed not to work with USB 1.0, but why won't it work with FireWire.

Assistant A said it was because firewire chips are chunky and they couldn't make them slim enough.

I then asked why it couldn't do USB 1 and 2.

Assistant B said it was because these days the demands on the iPod would make USB 1 too slow to function.

I reminded her that mp3s haven't suddenly jumped in file size, and that they were the same size when I was happily using my other iPods.

She conceded that her point was invalid.

Assistant A then said it was because USB 1 was too slow, and that people didn't want to wait for it.

I told him I didn't mind waiting while it transferred.

He told me that others weren't as patient as I am.

I made the point that if you have someone who is willing to wait, why take that option away from them. If you let people wait if they want to, then only the ones who don't want to wait are unhappy. If you take the ability to use the device away entirely then EVERYONE is unhappy.

He conceded my point.

They asked me what computer I had. I told them, a G4 iMac.
Assistant B said that my computer was too old, and that I should really get a new one.

I told her that my computer worked perfectly fine, even ran roughly the latest OS. She said that four years was too long to expect an Apple computer to be compatible with a new Apple device.

I asked her why.

She said that technology moves so fast, that you can't expect it to be compatible with a computer that is four years old.

Assistant A interrupted by saying that Windows and Palm do the same thing.
I asked them where that left their "Think Different" slogan?

The reason I have bought Apple products is because they 'just work' and they are 'cool, fun things that are great to use" (Assistant B piped up with that as a sort of self-mind washing technique).

Now, Apple have arbitrarily set a limit of expiry on my hardware. There is no reason for the new iPod to not work with my iMac.

The files being shoved across are the same as my 80G Video iPod, but according to them

"The iPod touch is a totally different beast, it is mainly software based, and so" I didn't let her finish, because I told her that while all the new bits worked perfectly, and were really, really well thought out, the one, basic thing of putting music onto my iPod has been artificially taken away from me.

I had to get her to see that she was telling me that the iPod deliberately doesn't work with a G4 iMac. Because Apple COULD EASILY make it compatible, but they chose not to so that I would have to buy a new computer.

The irony is I was planning to get a new MacBook anyway, but after the way I've ben hustled into it by these almost religious Apple Robots has made me shy away from the whole thing.

They kept repeating that it says USB 2.0 on the box, which frankly is a cop out.

I'm not happy with Apple, they can have the iPod back and I'll f***iing whistle or hum songs that I like instead (because every other mp3 player out there is god awful).

Every time one of those grinning fools says "Think Different" or "it just works" I want to smash a chair over something else breakable.

Rar!!!
Quit / is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 10:43 AM   #7
Quit /
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Oh yes, and Assistant B said that expecting to be able to plug my iPod Touch into my G4 iMac was like expecting my iPod Touch to work with an Apple Classic.

It was all I could do not to either openly laugh in her face or cry like I'd just been told my penis was too small.

Her advice to me was to either buy a new computer or go on eBay and look for an old iPod.

She also told me that there was nothing she could do about any of it.
I knew that, I didn't expect her to fix my machine, I just wanted to know why Apple had chosen to design a device that COULD work on my machine but DELIBERATELY wouldn't. She didn't get it.

Apple are as good as Microsoft in my eyes.
Quit / is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 10:51 AM   #8
Quit /
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by euanmackie View Post
it does work but amazingly slow i worked it out to be slower than real time! its a shame , its so slow i will be purchasing a mac mini because it has 2.0 , a move i should of done ages ago tho!
NO YOU SHOULDN'T!

It's an mp3 file! USB 1 can handle it!
There is no reason why it can't! It only take FORVER because the Touch was designed not to work with USB1 so you would go out and buy a new computer.

USB 1 never used to behave like this, has everyone forgotten?

Last edited by Quit /; Dec 30, 2007 at 10:52 AM. Reason: moar bile.
Quit / is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 11:02 AM   #9
quicklook2
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: lakewood, ohio
i am not sure what burr is in your underwear but you are filling this forum with lies.

usb 1.x works fine with the touch and i am sure others will agree.

i hope you quit soon on this subject unless you have facts to post.
quicklook2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 11:11 AM   #10
Quit /
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Would you like to substantiate you claim about me lying?
Where did I lie?

Some people have iPod Touches working with USB 1 but according to the Apple Store Dudes anyone getting an iPod over 5th generation to work with USB 1 is "lucky".

Not sure where you're getting this lying thing from.

My usb 1 connection doesn't work and Apple told me it's because my machine is too old and I need to get a new one. Which is rubbish, as you have yours working!

And the thing in my pants (I assume you mean trousers?) that is causing me grief is my disappointingly uncooperative iPod.

Last edited by Quit /; Dec 30, 2007 at 11:13 AM. Reason: for clarity
Quit / is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 11:25 AM   #11
Jasonbot
macrumors 68020
 
Jasonbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Rainbow Nation RSA
Send a message via AIM to Jasonbot Send a message via MSN to Jasonbot
I agree with Quit/ he was just trying to show an Apple employee or two that they're wrong and I commend his efforts but I'm assuming that it's just a single case that the iPod Touch isn't working with USB 1 since others are saying that theirs work. could it be the firmware version that is at fault?
__________________
[insert apple related products here]
Jasonbot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 11:26 AM   #12
Forkaster
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Read up, there are people using iPod Touch with a G3!!
Did it ever occur to you that the problem could be in your machine's settings/flaw?

EDIT: About the employers i agree, they will pull a rabbit of their bottom just to say Apple is always correct.
Forkaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 11:28 AM   #13
Quit /
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkaster View Post
Read up, there are people using iPod Touch with a G3!!
Did it ever occur to you that the problem could be in your machine's settings/flaw?
It did, yes, but then I thought better of it as my 80G Video iPod worked like a charm.

So, I'll be refundingizing this touch and, because I REALLY REALLY want it to work, I'll be buying a totally different one at a totally different location.

If that doesn't work too I'm going to set fire to my house and delete the internet. That'll show em!
Quit / is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 11:31 AM   #14
quicklook2
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: lakewood, ohio
maybe yours is defective.

maybe you like to rant.

i have no problem with usb 1.x and many others also do not.

maybe it is operator error.
quicklook2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 11:35 AM   #15
Forkaster
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Did you try your iPod Touch on another computer that supports USB 2.0 (or another that supports USB 1.X)? I'm thinking it could be a problem unrelated to USB 1 or 2. The cable? The connector?

I am sorry for my speculation, i don't know much about iPods. Still waiting for a 32 GB version of the Touch.
Forkaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 11:37 AM   #16
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6
 
IJ Reilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Palookaville
I use my Touch with two G4 Macs with USB 1.1. It works, at least most of the time -- so luck I believe has nothing to do with it. Slow as molasses in January, but it does work. This is a function of the relative speed of USB 1.1 vs. 2.0.

Try this trick: Quit iTunes before you plug in the Touch. It seems to work more reliably if iTunes is launched in response to plugging in the Touch. You may get a beachball in iTunes for a while, but wait it out.
__________________
*The season starts too early and finishes too late and there are too many games in between.
Bill Veeck
IJ Reilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 11:41 AM   #17
Quit /
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicklook2 View Post
maybe yours is defective.

maybe you like to rant.

i have no problem with usb 1.x and many others also do not.

maybe it is operator error.
Maybe!

I know you don't have a problem with USB1.
BUT I DO! And the advice I got from Apple today was that the iPod Touch is designed to work with 2.0 only, so if you can get it on 1.0 you're lucky, but having a G4 iMac meant that I should have no expectation of being able to use any new Apple device.

Don't know why you think it could be user error though, the interface on iTunes and The Pod is so intuative, even a idiot like me can use it. Except my ipod hate human.

As for other cables, I've got theree USB cables for iPods and none of them change anything. I've got three USB ports and none of them change anything either. I've also got a REALLY OLD G3 Power Book and that won't even acknowledge the iPod.

I don't have anything with a USB2 port on it though.
If I did I probably wouldn't have a problem, which is the problem

Last edited by Quit /; Dec 30, 2007 at 11:46 AM. Reason: speling
Quit / is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 11:44 AM   #18
Quit /
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly View Post
I use my Touch with two G4 Macs with USB 1.1. It works, at least most of the time -- so luck I believe has nothing to do with it. Slow as molasses in January, but it does work. This is a function of the relative speed of USB 1.1 vs. 2.0.

Try this trick: Quit iTunes before you plug in the Touch. It seems to work more reliably if iTunes is launched in response to plugging in the Touch. You may get a beachball in iTunes for a while, but wait it out.
Yeah, I noticed it's a little more stable if you launch it this way.
The only thing is, it's not Apple Build Quality is it?
This was a present from my partner, but if I'd have paid for it myself I wouldn't put up with it. Seems like shoddy workmanship to me, which makes me think it's not accidental (unless Apple are really losing it?)
Quit / is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 11:49 AM   #19
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6
 
IJ Reilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Palookaville
At this point it seems you are not really listening. Many of us are using a Touch with USB 1.1, so this is cannot entirely be a matter of luck.

Have you tried my advice?
__________________
*The season starts too early and finishes too late and there are too many games in between.
Bill Veeck
IJ Reilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 11:52 AM   #20
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6
 
IJ Reilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Palookaville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quit / View Post
Yeah, I noticed it's a little more stable if you launch it this way.
The only thing is, it's not Apple Build Quality is it?
This was a present from my partner, but if I'd have paid for it myself I wouldn't put up with it. Seems like shoddy workmanship to me, which makes me think it's not accidental (unless Apple are really losing it?)
Meaning, it's recognized?

The Touch is a USB 2.0 device -- which has nothing to do with Apple's "build quality." If you do get it working, the transfer speed will be glacial -- which again, nothing to do with Apple.
__________________
*The season starts too early and finishes too late and there are too many games in between.
Bill Veeck
IJ Reilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 11:54 AM   #21
Forkaster
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quit / View Post
Yeah, I noticed it's a little more stable if you launch it this way.
The only thing is, it's not Apple Build Quality is it?
This was a present from my partner, but if I'd have paid for it myself I wouldn't put up with it. Seems like shoddy workmanship to me, which makes me think it's not accidental (unless Apple are really losing it?)
So did IJ's tip work? Sounded like so. Anyways ask for a new one or something. Try it on friends PC with USB 2.0, it still can be that the iPod connector is defective.
Forkaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 12:01 PM   #22
Quit /
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly View Post
At this point it seems you are not really listening. Many of us are using a Touch with USB 1.1, so this is cannot entirely be a matter of luck.

Have you tried my advice?
Apple told me it was a matter of luck.
I think I've got a duff iPod.

Launching iTunes by plugging in the iPod does make it more responsive, but it still can't load a whole album without crashing.

I probably have a duff iPod, along with the other people who have problems getting their iPods working with their G4 iMacs.

Repeating that you don't have a problem, and that lots of people don't really have a problem, does not mean that I don't have a problem, or that I'm not listening.

Why would I be making all of this up?
Quit / is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 12:12 PM   #23
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6
 
IJ Reilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Palookaville
Forget what somebody at an Apple store says. The evidence that luck is not the only factor is in this thread. The Touch was not designed to work with USB 1.1, but most of us have succeeded.

The only way to determine if your iPod is bad is to try it on another Mac or PC, with USB 2.0.

It's also unclear what you mean by "crashing." Please, describe the symptoms in more detail.
__________________
*The season starts too early and finishes too late and there are too many games in between.
Bill Veeck
IJ Reilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 12:24 PM   #24
quicklook2
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: lakewood, ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quit / View Post
Apple told me it was a matter of luck.
I think I've got a duff iPod.

Launching iTunes by plugging in the iPod does make it more responsive, but it still can't load a whole album without crashing.

I probably have a duff iPod, along with the other people who have problems getting their iPods working with their G4 iMacs.

Repeating that you don't have a problem, and that lots of people don't really have a problem, does not mean that I don't have a problem, or that I'm not listening.

Why would I be making all of this up?
hard to say why.

did you reinstall 1.1.2?

did you try to do a restore?

did you try to jailbreak it?

go to a library and use the computers there if you need usb 2.0.

just being angry about it and saying all the stuff you have said is not helping you at all.

mine works fine with a g3 and usb 1.1 and i do not see that apple made the touch only usb 2.0.
quicklook2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 12:39 PM   #25
anjinha
macrumors 604
 
anjinha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quit / View Post
Apple told me it was a matter of luck.
A lot of apple store employees don't know what they're are talking about. They probably just said that because it says on the box that you need USB2.0.
A lot of people here already said that their iPods work with USB1.x so you know it works. Probably won't work flawlessly, and that's why it says on the box you need USB2.0. Just listen to the people who are trying to help you so you can get it to work.
__________________
Thank you Steve.
anjinha is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPod Touch Wifi Issue and Apple India support DFZD iPod touch 0 Feb 26, 2014 08:27 AM
iPod Touch: Why no iPod touch 4th gen support? tevion5 iOS 7 4 Jun 10, 2013 08:55 PM
iPod touch won't recognize USB Chargr iPod touch 2 Feb 27, 2013 11:46 AM
iPhone 5 and Updated iPod Touch to Support Panorama Photo Mode? MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 117 Sep 17, 2012 06:56 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC