Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Oct 6, 2003, 12:34 PM   #1
windwaves
Banned

decided on iMac - help on which one pls

I have decided that the best thing for my wife would be an iMac, it just makes sense: she'll use it may be once or twice a month to do some work from home and that is check emails, review documents (Word) - she is a lawyer!! - and possibly some web surfing (very little I would think).

Anyway the iMac seems good as it takes minimal amount of place, no cluttering etc. Now however the only undecision I have (and it may sound stupid given her usage) is whether I should consider the 17". Normally the 1Ghz, 15" would be perfect, the only doubt I have is for the graphic card which seems to be an old piece of c***p on the 15". You know, even surfing the web nowdays requires some graphic performance ! Anyhow, the graphic card would be the only reason for me to get the 17". No need for larger screen and no need for the unsignificant .25Mhz faster processor. Sure my son would probably use it a little for games (I prefer not to install that stuff on my powermac) but he is 2.5yo so I doubt he'll play any demanding games graphic wise.

What would you guys think ? am I overthinking about this ?

BTW: where would you get it ? it'd nice to avoid Apple just to save taxes, I mean, not major but hey....

thx

Last edited by windwaves; Oct 6, 2003 at 12:36 PM.
windwaves is offline   0
Old Oct 6, 2003, 01:32 PM   #2
MightyB
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to MightyB
I guess then it really comes down to budget, and how much you want to spend.

I think the extra bucks are worth the upgrades, so it is a smart decision either way.

If the funds allow, go for the 17".
Old Oct 6, 2003, 01:49 PM   #3
Dont Hurt Me
macrumors 603

with a child around i think the highend emac would be a good choice,in fact mac addict mag had it edging out the imac at 1 gig in almost every category. also the emac is a very durable thing where the imac might not do so good with a child near it. just a thought plus you could save some bucks and ramp up the memory and get a few games for the wife and some more gadgets or whatever. did something similar with my wife & kid but had the original crt imac.
Old Oct 6, 2003, 08:32 PM   #4
windwaves
Banned

thx guys.
As I was writing my post earlier today it did occur to me that the eMac might be the answer. So, I have decided I am definetely going to ask her if she likes it: if she does I will get that. If not, I am not sure.
windwaves is offline   0
Old Oct 6, 2003, 09:15 PM   #5
Schiffi
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Schiffi Send a message via Yahoo to Schiffi
The eMacs are spectacular. Someone on my dorm floor has one, it's tight.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers