Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ducksrfr

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2006
Austin, TX
I currently own the last generation 15'' Powerbook which I really enjoy and have had no problems with, but I will be needing some PC-only programs in a class next semester and rather than getting a really cheap PC, I'd like to get another Mac. I have an iPod touch for quick internet access on campus, so portability is not a must for me.

Ok, so here are my options:

1) Keep the Powerbook for its mobility and get the low-end 20'' iMac. I'd really like to have somewhat of a desktop experience at home, and I won't need the PC apps in class, only for homework and projects.

2) Sell the Powerbook and replace it with a black Macbook and a Dell monitor for home.

3) Sell the Powerbook and replace it with a MBP and Dell monitor for home.

Any comments/ideas will be most appreciated.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I currently own the last generation 15'' Powerbook which I really enjoy and have had no problems with, but I will be needing some PC-only programs in a class next semester and rather than getting a really cheap PC, I'd like to get another Mac. I have an iPod touch for quick internet access on campus, so portability is not a must for me.

Ok, so here are my options:

1) Keep the Powerbook for its mobility and get the low-end 20'' iMac. I'd really like to have somewhat of a desktop experience at home, and I won't need the PC apps in class, only for homework and projects.

2) Sell the Powerbook and replace it with a black Macbook and a Dell monitor for home.

3) Sell the Powerbook and replace it with a MBP and Dell monitor for home.

Any comments/ideas will be most appreciated.

I'd go for option two. Buy a monitor, and external keyboard and mouse, and you're set.

ducksrfr

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2006
Austin, TX
that's a good idea, but i would want to wait to see if the mini gets any updates at macworld if i were to go this route

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I think you should wait a little while (say until mid January) and then make your final decision.

However, if you've been using a 15" Powerbook, there might be minor things about you might miss if you go with a macbook rather than a macbook pro (like the backlit keyboard, better speakers, matte screen option, etc).

I think your best bet is to go for a mbp (once it's updated) as it will be a lighter, faster, thinner, and all around superior version of your current Powerbook. Even though the macbook will be faster, lighter, and thinner (I think), you'll be giving up some luxuries you might have grown used to with that Powerbook.

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2007
US
I'd go the macbook pro route too. This may not be everyones case, but once I got into the world of pro laptops I couldn't go backwards. I really just missed the screen options (i had a matte first, and i have a glossy now, but i still don't like the glossy in the macbooks as opposed to my MBP glossy (who knows why :))) , the 15inch size and the backlit keyboard. Not to mention, who knows, you may want to game a bit or have a use for a graphics card that isn't integrated down the line.

If you can afford it i'd go mbp.

Assuming your powerbook is still in decent shape it should fetch you a pretty decent sum. I'd say 600+ on ebay (yes... people like them powerbooks and will pay more then they are worth) to put towards your new comp.

I am also a HUGE fan of having one computer at school. Because, the backup computer point is mostly moot as the school has lots of computer to use if you need to, and it's good to have all your stuff with you when you go places and to class etc.

I'd go the macbook pro route. Student discount if they release some awesome updates at macworld, or refurb if not, pick up a decent monitor and you'll have one kick ass computer. :)

Not to mention your powerbook bag and such should (yes i know it's 15.4 instead of 15.2... but most normal bags won't matter too much) fit it fine.

Oh.. grab an external keyboard and mouse too if you don't already have one. Gives you a much better desktop feel.

:)

gl!

edit: it looks like powerbooks like yours are still fetching over 700 on ebay! That will help fund your purchase! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.