Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HelixOmnimedia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Traveling The World
Hi,

I need some help with setting up an iTunes Account.

I was given $50 of iTunes Gift Vouchers for Christmas... but don't have a US iTunes Account... as I'm back in Scotland Studying.

I've got so far with setting one up...

"Provide your US Payment Information and Address"

I don't have a Credit Card back home, and I'm not using my parents. But I do have my home address.

It's not accepting my UK payment details for obvious reasons.

How do I get around that? Mom thought I could use the Gift Cards.

Thanks for any information.

iPhil

macrumors 68040
Hi,

I need some help with setting up an iTunes Account.

I was given $50 of iTunes Gift Vouchers for Christmas... but don't have a US iTunes Account... as I'm back in Scotland Studying.

I've got so far with setting one up...

"Provide your US Payment Information and Address"

I don't have a Credit Card back home, and I'm not using my parents. But I do have my home address.

It's not accepting my UK payment details for obvious reasons.

How do I get around that? Mom thought I could use the Gift Cards.

Thanks for any information.

You could sent the code to a US friend and have the friend "gift" you the music.. if the card is US ITMS card.. :eek:

HelixOmnimedia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Traveling The World
I was thinking about doing that iPhil, but I thought it would be easier if I had my own account, then it makes me less dependent of friends to do my buying for me.

On that note...
I think I found away to do it... but I need someone to confirm this before I do anything stupid and loose the money on the gift card.

I was trying to set up a new account from scratch which got my through so far until the payment information screen, where NONE wasn't an option.

I found an Old Article on Apple's Website and wonder if it still worked. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301958

It says that because I have a voucher and not an account, I should go to REDEEM first, then type the code it, and it'll ask me then to create an account, but then giving an option not to put Credit Card information on file, but still supplying my "US Home" address.

Has this been updated and doesn't work??
Just that it asks for the Gift Voucher code first and I don't want to do something wrong after its all typed in. I don't want to loose the $50.

Thank again for any information.

gavd

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2006
^ The solution you've linked to on the apple site should work fine. I set one up this way about 3 months ago without supplying a credit card. I've been able to redeem further vouchers without any problems as well.

748s

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2001
Tiger Bay
.........It says that because I have a voucher and not an account, I should go to REDEEM first, then type the code it, and it'll ask me then to create an account, but then giving an option not to put Credit Card information on file, but still supplying my "US Home" address.

Has this been updated and doesn't work??
Just that it asks for the Gift Voucher code first and I don't want to do something wrong after its all typed in. I don't want to loose the $50........

That's how I opened an account at US iTunes store with US gift cards.
Go to redeem first, have your "US address" ready to enter into required field.
Then start buying.

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
It works just fine. It's how those of us in Blighty get access to the far wider selection of movies and TV shows that you have over there. To my mind it's not wrong as long as someone is being paid for the stuff (even if they don't want to sell it to me).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.