Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Dec 30, 2007, 06:34 PM   #1
wallaby
macrumors 6502

For those who've held off buying Leopard...10.5.2 update

...what would it take in the 10.5.2 update to make you finally take the plunge and buy the upgrade?

I just got my Mac last summer, so I'm still running Tiger. Mostly no complaints there. I haven't upgraded yet for several reasons, probably the biggest among them the incompatibilities with Adobe's CS3 design suite (I'm a design student so it's a deal-breaker). Other than that, I just don't see the benefit in spending the $69 to upgrade. Speed? I find Tiger plenty fast, especially with 4GB of ram. Redesigned interface? Personally I find the design changes in the menu bar and dock to be horrid; any OS that requires me to do some extra work to make the interface tolerable is one that wasn't ready to be released. New features? I really can't see myself using any of them, except maybe Time Machine. Even that's just a convenience though, currently I backup my files manually. I don't see the benefit of Spaces, and "stacks" seem like a downgrade from putting folders in the dock in Tiger.

So I guess for me, Apple'd have to fix Leopard's incompatibilities with CS3 first (more accurately, Adobe needs to release a fix). It would be nice if they'd fix the finder bar transparency and dock in the 10.5.2. I probably still wouldn't upgrade though; it'll take an application that requires Leopard for me to upgrade, or a marked improvement in productivity. So far, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Some of you might be disagreeable at this point so without further ado, KITTENS!
Old Dec 30, 2007, 09:15 PM   #2
heatmiser
macrumors 68020

I'd need all bugs to be fixed. Literally, all of them. I'd expect the OS to run as smoothly as Tiger on my Macbook, without a single extra error. If that's not possible in 10.5.2, that's too bad for Apple; I'm in no hurry to upgrade. It's their job to produce a working OS, not mine to debug it on my hardware.

That said, even if everything *were* fixed, I still wouldn't upgrade. Why? I don't have the need to. If everything works fine for me in 10.4.11, why in the world would I "fix" things by upgrading to 10.5.x? That's the kind of greed that got so many into trouble with 10.5.0, and 10.5.1. Change for the sake of change is a very good way to decrease productivity. No thanks. I'll skip the eye candy, and stick with Tiger.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 09:32 PM   #3
Scarlet Fever
macrumors 68040

FWIW, I upgraded to Leopard at 10.5.0, and I never had any problems. Then they dumped a big update on me to fix problems I didn't even know about. The switch has been seamless for me

What's the issue with CS3 on Leopard?
Scarlet Fever is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 09:40 PM   #4
panzer06
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet Fever View Post
FWIW, I upgraded to Leopard at 10.5.0, and I never had any problems. Then they dumped a big update on me to fix problems I didn't even know about. The switch has been seamless for me

What's the issue with CS3 on Leopard?

See the Adobe Doc:

http://www.adobe.com/support/product...ardsupport.pdf

For us its the CS2 - no Leopard support for any issues you find bit that keeps us from upgrading. Tiger works and we're not moving until we have to.

Cheers,

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X